hey all:

im alittle introverted and really do not like many people. I have been fired from jobs and cant always get a refereance from them. so i use what i can. what do i do when i cant use the boss as a reference?

WithOrWithoutYou

Ask a co-worker (or former co-worker) if you can use them as a reference. It doesn't have to be the boss, just someone who worked with you, and who will say only nice things about you if called.

Ask a co-worker (or former co-worker) if you can use them as a reference. It doesn't have to be the boss, just someone who worked with you, and who will say only nice things about you if called.

This will only possibly work if this person is still someone senior to you. Even then, as an employer I would be wondering why you do not use your manager. Plus as someone who is asked to provide references, I am always aware that the opinion I express is not just mine but the company and will not lie.

Is there someone who knows you on a personal level who may be able to provide you with a reference, e.g. a doctor or teacher (i.e. someone of some professional standing and ability)?

You also need to address why you have been fired more than once in terms of both explaining how/why to future employers (as it may prove impossible to hide) and how you will address any problems that resulted in you being fired so it will not happen again.

I was a messed up anorexic weirdo in my past with mental problems. I could not keep a job and only had one good written reference - however, this particular business went down so the reference was no longer valid.

I worked hard to change my life and adress the issues that were hindering my abilities to function as a person, which included being able to be successful at work.

I have adressed many of the personality issues that were holding me back, and now I get on well with people - I got a job but the company executive called me and told me that she could not access my reference.

I paniced, because I rememberd how the old reference's business was no longer running, and I HAD NO other references.

The executive said that if I could not get a reference by my shift the NEXT morning, that i would NOT be able to work there.

Yikes! I thought it was so unfair, that because of my last, that I may not have the chance to start fresh; after all, I had worked hard to change myself, taken years, and I sure as hell deserved a chance to proove myself.

So I rang a friend who runsd a PT business and he pretended to be my reference; he said I worked for him and said all the right things.

Tne executive said she was very pleased with the reference.

I so feel bad for lying, but My reference did genuinly think I had good working abilities; I had helped him with his homework before, and he knew I was competent at working, so he was telling the truth when he told my executive of my skills and abilities.

The only lie he told, was that I worked for him; what he could have done, was say that he had observed my skills.

Look - if you are prepared to genuinly try to change into a better worker, and if you want to put the effort in to improving your capacity to contribute in the workforce, I see nothing wrong with a white lie.

I mean, the alternative is to never get a job because you have no referecne, due to a bad past.

Or, you could lie a little, but then be prepare dto work hard to be a great worker, so that at least you have earnt your position.

Although I am not sure if all jobs call the references. I am 23 and do not know how every company works. Mine was a large company, and they did request a reference in order for me to be able to work for them.