I'm losing hours so the boss can hire her friends!

I've worked in the entertainment field for five years now. Recently, there was a management shift involving my direct supervisor. As soon as she got here, she started letting go some of our employees and hiring her friends from previous places where she used to work. I haven't been fired, but my hours have been drastically reduced in favor of someone she hired away from her last company.

I've had a couple sit down meetings and e-mail exchanges where we talked about my reduced hours at my request. She's been highly complimentary towards my work and has said that she's in my corner and wants me to succeed, but it certainly doesn't feel that way. I've asked for additional responsibility and have offered to help in other areas at work to show that I'm a team player, but to no avail. However, she has said that she can put in a word for me at another employer in order to get me some extra hours. I take this as her attempt to push me out so she can make even more room for her friends. I don't understand why she doesn't just fire me.

The bottom line is that I love my job, but I hate my new boss and I want my hours back. What can I do, if anything?

start looking for a new job. life is too short. this sorta thing happens at jobs. bosses want to hire people that they are comfortable with. if this boss is gonna push everyone out that have been there and bring in new people there is really nothing that you can do about it except make it worse. if u say i suggest just getting along and making nice for as long as you can stand it. maybe your boss will appreciate the "good soldier" role but its more likely that finding a new job is the way to go.

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't understand why she doesn't just fire me.

She's probably trying to avoid the possible legal fallout of letting you go for no good reason. Maybe you could make a case for undue preferential treatment of her former employees, but if I were you, I'd just move on.