I just need to let a little steam off. I have been looking for a job for the last nine months with absolutely no luck, not even an interview. I'm currently underemployed and working in retail at a job that barely requires a high school education. My boss is a high school grad and I have a doctorate degree.

I look around and see everyone around me flourishing in their careers. I have had friends and family members completely luck into jobs or literally get the first job they applied to. I'm extremely happy for them and glad that things have worked out. I just wonder when is it going to be my time.

I'm not expecting pity or a response. I'm just so frustrated and don't know what to do.

I feel for you. Last half of the year last year was awful for me as I sat without a job. Like you I applied to many places with no luck.

The reality of it seems to be that you have to know someone who can get you in where they are. That is what happened with me. I have a great job now because of it.

Best of luck to you sir.

• Author
John,

What type of a degree do you have?

I have a J.D. and a B.B.A. I have been trying to get into strategic consulting though.

Pyro I'm starting to get the feeling that you're right. If you don't know anyone then you are probably SOL.