Feeling inferior comparing myself to friends in bigger companies

I used to work for a big global company. Now I work for a new small and local company while some of my friends have moved from big global companies to other big global companies.

While I don't dislike my work, I feel bad that I don't earn as much as them and I've moved on "downward" to a smaller brandless company.

Should I feel this way? How many of you feel similarly? Or do you share the same experience but feel differently?

I think it depends upon your personality and goals.

I work for a fortune 100 company. When I meet with contacts at smaller companies, I sometimes envy their flexibilility and advancement potential. I recently spoke with a supplier contact who started in a lower position, but was now the president of the company.

But when I think about it, even though my career progression is slower, I'm the type of person who is comfortable with security. I'll plod along and retire with a few million in my 401 and a good pension. I'm happy with that. Without giving away my employer, I'll just leave it at saying that we are very distinctive, and when people learn who you work for, they assume many things about your personality and salary.

I think you have to analyze yourself objectively. Do you have what it takes to outshine thousands of peers and move up? If so, maybe start putting out the feelers. Would you be comfortable following generic standards of employment, where you are required to dress a certain way, act a certain way, etc.? Then maybe the smaller company is best.

Hope it helps.

• Author
I think it depends upon your personality and goals.

I work for a fortune 100 company. When I meet with contacts at smaller companies, I sometimes envy their flexibilility and advancement potential. I recently spoke with a supplier contact who started in a lower position, but was now the president of the company.

But when I think about it, even though my career progression is slower, I'm the type of person who is comfortable with security. I'll plod along and retire with a few million in my 401 and a good pension. I'm happy with that. Without giving away my employer, I'll just leave it at saying that we are very distinctive, and when people learn who you work for, they assume many things about your personality and salary.

I think you have to analyze yourself objectively. Do you have what it takes to outshine thousands of peers and move up? If so, maybe start putting out the feelers. Would you be comfortable following generic standards of employment, where you are required to dress a certain way, act a certain way, etc.? Then maybe the smaller company is best.

Hope it helps.

Thanks. I used to work for the Goldman Sachs equivalent of my industry so I wouldn't think the problem is with the capability (though some might say I'm generalizing here). I'm not sure the issue is whether I can move up in a big or small company but I just feel disappointed or annoyed that some others who might be less capable but are just lucky or so happened to be able to work in small roles in big companies. They just seem to move along to equally big companies. I, on the other hand, seem to be stucked in a spiral after leaving the Goldman Sachs equivalent in my industry.

I even feel embarassed to tell people where I work at now because unlike in the past, most people haven't heard of this place.

I'm now contemplating moving to other companies for better pay. But I'm not sure how much I would like the work.

It's a dilemma! :(

Forget for a moment about your friends. Answer these questions:

Do you enjoy your job right now (as in, what you actually do at the company)?

How would you rate your quality of life? (making more or less money doesn't count)

Personally, I think it's a mistake to compare anything about yourself to your friends. Not everything is always as it seems, and it's really easy to assume that if we lived our lives like someone else, we'd be more content.

Case in point, my husband's small company was purchased by a huge global corporation. Everyone was pretty excited until reality set in, and they all began to remember why they left big corporate life to begin with. They would kill to go back to the way things were.

Also, if your friends make you feel inferior because of where you work, then they really aren't true friends. But it sounds more like your own personal insecurity. If your answers to the questions posed above are not favorable, then it wouldn't hurt to put yourself back on the job market. Just make sure you do it for the right reasons. ;)