Summer-associate interview scheduled, what do I do now?

RecordProducer

Employers visit law schools for screening interviews with candidates they have selected. That is, a bunch of people from my school (and other schools) apply online and submit their resumes and whatever documents the firms requested. I was selected for an interview and signed up for a time slot today (12 other classmates will be interviewed by the same firm on the same day). I know the name (and by now the entire life story) of my interviewer (there are two of them).

So, my question is: other than preparing for the interview itself, which I will do very thoroughly, is there anything else I should do? :confused:

Should I send them an email, or another writing sample, or a sample of my spinach pie, or a picture of me in my sexy underwear...? :bunny:

Edited by RecordProducer
meerkat stew

Is the position for litigation, corporate, or some or no specific practice area? How are your grades in terms of class rank? How large/prestigious is the firm? What practice areas are they known for? How you should position yourself in the interview depends on those answers.

Generally, no, don't send them any supplementary materials until they ask.

I know the name (and by now the entire life story) of my interviewer (there are two of them).

So, my question is: other than preparing for the interview itself, which I will do very thoroughly, is there anything else I should do? :confused:

Should I send them an email, or another writing sample, or a sample of my spinach pie, or a picture of me in my sexy underwear...? :bunny:

Is there anything in either of their histories you could use as "leverage"?

As far as the sexy underwear goes, I'd have to judge for myself.

If they don't ask, don't tell, and be sure to interview them as well, presuming you're looking for a position which will work to your advantage as you complete school and further your career. Everything is a stepping stone, IMO.

Save the spinach pie for the closer ;)

Good luck with your interview and future studies :)

As carhill said, DO NOT tell them anything they don't ask you about. Concentrate on experiences and qualities that will bring something to the firm. For every entry you have in your resume, be prepared to discuss and elaborate. Also come prepared with a few questions of your own to ask them. If a question pops into your head during the interview related to something they asked or talked about, don't hesitate to ask them. It's a conversation, not a one-way interview.

Once you have a few interviews under your belt, it's pretty much doing the same stupid thing over and over again.

Send them an email after the interview thanking them for their time, etc etc. DO NOT send anything they don't ask for...e.g., writing samples, references, spinach pies, etc.

How about emailing a picture of your spinach pie instead :laugh:

Not sure if your are a smoker but if you are then don't smoke well before the interview, nothing says making a bad impression like reeking of smoke.

• Author
RecordProducer

Thanks a bunch, everyone, for your replies! :) I appreciate it.

Arty - good reminder about the smoking. The guy is a dedicated athlete!

Once you have a few interviews under your belt, it's pretty much doing the same stupid thing over and over again.

The thing is: I have no experience with interviewing at all! Should I tell him that beforehand? I have a perfectly justifiable explanation, by the way... it's not because my dog swallowed my car key each time I had a scheduled interview. ;)

OK, no sending pork stews ot meercat stews. By the way, I was joking about the pictures in my underwear. Why on earth would I cover my best credentials with underwear? :laugh:

Oh, two more questions: Should I be

(a) strictly professional, like formal but kind, not introducing my own ideas, OR

(b) relaxed and smiling, and rather make him see my passion for the law and my personality (which is by all means adorable! :o)

The second question is: how the heck do I find out about salary? Many summer associates are offered a job after graduation, so it's more of a long-term interest than just for the next summer.

Edited by RecordProducer

I might have missed when the interview is... but maybe there is time to go to your career services office at your school and they could practice a moch interview with you and give you advice.

Also bring copies of your resume because some times they ask for more, also when they read from your resume and ask you questions its nice to have your own copy in front of you.

Its a good idea to get business cards from the people you interview and if you feel it is good send a quick email that simply thanks them for the oportunity to interview.

Be sure to ask LOTS of questions like when they plan on making a decision and when you would know by.

Don't act fake like you are some hero charity person or what ever. Just let them know you want the job.

Don't just put all your hope in one place make sure you apply to others.

Enjoy the interview and just have fun with it.

The second question is: how the heck do I find out about salary?

'What is the salary range of this position?'

Oh, two more questions: Should I be

(a) strictly professional, like formal but kind, not introducing my own ideas, OR

(b) relaxed and smiling, and rather make him see my passion for the law and my personality (which is by all means adorable!

This is where, if no prior experience, the mock interview could help, in learning how to read the interviewer and adapt your natural style to fit the circumstances. Whether formal or relaxed, there are always ways to bring your natural style and personality to the fore.

To quote Kathy Bates: "Well, you're about to enter the snake pit... what are you going to wear?"

Just something else to consider. Good luck :)

• Author
RecordProducer

Thanks, Green. Yeah, I'll apply to others as well. We do have a workshop regarding the whole process this Friday, but I can't ask them the stupid questions I can ask here. :D

I don't know if I am wrong, but I always think that if you want someone to like you, try to fit in the environment they create, i.e. if they're joking - laugh, if they're very curious about you - talk, if they're distant and cold -shut up and remain formal. This is just my personal experience cuz when I try to warm up a conversation and people act cold and don't let the ice break, I think they're not that worldy or able to adapt to the circumstances. In sum, they miss the opportunity to charm me into their personality. :confused: Obviously, they don't care, but they would care very much if I were to refer a client someday to the people that did charm me - all else equal. ;)

When it comes to law school OCI, IME they actually prohibit/discourage you from providing any additional materials other than what's requested. So don't give more than you're asked for.

Do NOT tell them you're not familiar with interviewing. This is your chance to show why you should be chosen over other candidates. Make sure you're familiar with the firms in question, and tailor your answers to their questions to fit with what they're looking for.

Do NOT discuss salary during your OCI. The OCI will be pretty short, much shorter than if you were interviewing for a lateral position, so there's less time to discuss that sort of thing. The focus should be on why they should hire you. Unlike other positions you'll interview for in the future, this particular type of interview isn't so much of a shared exchange (what you can do for them, and what they can do for you). Competition is tight, so the focus will be on what you can do for them.

Where a conservative black suit (unfortunately, a skirt is safest), with a light colored conservative top, close-toed heels, and conservative makeup, no perfume or smells.

i would go with the latter

I would bring the pictures as back up. You could always slide them across the table in a closed folder in case things aren't going well. And like Star said, go conservative: underwear on.

meerkat stew
Thanks a bunch, everyone, for your replies! :) I appreciate it.

You didn't answer any of the questions I asked you, which brings up a very important interview tip (which of course doesn't apply to internet forums, just twisting your tail to make a point). Be directly responsive to the questions asked of you. I find the mock appellate trial technique of giving a one word, or very brief summary answer to the judge, then fleshing out your answer with detail very useful.

Legal interviewers are looking for a clarity of expression in your answers mixed with -some- personality, not the other way around. They already have all the other data, and are most interested in whether you have the stuff to do their work quickly and without error. They want to know that when given an assignment, you will be able to compartmentalize it logically, to ask only pertinent follow-up questions, to utilize ESP to an extent to know exactly what it is they want you to do :laugh:, and then do it well and quickly. Sending a "disciplined mind" message is critical in standing out above the others, who will go off on babbling, nervous tangents when asked basic questions, thus annoying the interviewer.

The general attitude you want to convey is that you are a drone and not a drone at the same time, that you can be plugged in and start producing quality work without hassle or lots of personal issues and ego involved, do so tirelessly during long working hours, yet are pleasant and personable to work with and will be an asset to the firm when dealing with clients, not a liability.

If you are uncomfortable putting specific answers to the questions I asked here, feel free to PM them. I have gone through 20-30 legal interviews over the years, and wish I had had someone with more experience to quiz about the process then.

Thanks for the correction on the salary discussion...

OP, if the interviewer asks you 'tell me a little about yourself', can you give them a concise answer that relates to the law career and their firm in less than a minute?

How about, if you hear 'what do you think the worst part of being a lawyer is?'

IMO, given the nature of the profession you've chosen, showing that you can focus and think on your feet will leave a positive impression.

meerkat stew

Oh, as far as salary goes, that will come in an offer letter, it is almost always lockstep and non-negotiable for first years unless the firm is very small. Since they are interviewing 12 on the same day, it doesn't sound that small.

Oh, as far as salary goes, that will come in an offer letter, it is almost always lockstep and non-negotiable for first years unless the firm is very small. Since they are interviewing 12 on the same day, it doesn't sound that small.

It's a summer associate position, not a first year associate position. I doubt the salary will be negotiable because of that. Really.

meerkat stew
It's a summer associate position, not a first year associate position. I doubt the salary will be negotiable because of that. Really.

That's true, forgot we were talking summer and not first year, same applies though as far as the salary amount being in the offer letter. Never said either type of salary could be negotiated, you may have me confused with another poster.

• Author
RecordProducer
When it comes to law school OCI, IME they actually prohibit/discourage you from providing any additional materials other than what's requested. So don't give more than you're asked for.
Ah, I'm glad you and Meerkat Stew are here because you guys know exactly what this is about. :) OK - to all advice you gave me, I'll apply it. And I have to buy a skirt. :mad: Should I pick my hair up or let it down? The guy is in his sixties.

By the way, I just wondered if the protocol was to contact them before the interview. I know you're supposed to send them a follow-up/thank you note afterward, but they won't tell you "Please send us a thank you note by Monday."

And like Star said, go conservative: underwear on.
Star didn't say anything about underwear! Do I have to buy lingerie that matches the ink color on my Resume - pink?

You didn't answer any of the questions I asked you,
You didn't wait for the answer; I was going to post the firm's website along with my transcript and my naked photo! ;)

I find the mock appellate trial technique of giving a one word, or very brief summary answer to the judge, then fleshing out your answer with detail very useful.
I find that judges stop listening after the one word and use the time you're giving them your brief summary to sign the order! :D (Then you flesh out the details in your motion for a post-trial relief hoping you'll bamboozle the intern. ;))

Legal interviewers are looking for a clarity of expression . . . Sending a "disciplined mind" message is critical in standing out above the others . . .
Meerkat, your entire post is extremely helpful and I can see the point. Thank you so much! :)

The general attitude you want to convey is that you are a drone and not a drone at the same time
From the Free Dictionary:

1. A male bee, especially a honeybee, that is characteristically stingless, performs no work, and produces no honey. Its only function is to mate with the queen bee.

2. An idle person who lives off others; a loafer.

3. A person who does tedious or menial work; a drudge.

4. A pilotless aircraft operated by remote control.

I guess you referred to #3, but #2 describes me succinctly. :o

feel free to PM
Thank you so much! I will. :)

OP, if the interviewer asks you 'tell me a little about yourself', can you give them a concise answer that relates to the law career and their firm in less than a minute?

Sure. I'm very ambitious and unscrupulous! :D

How about, if you hear 'what do you think the worst part of being a lawyer is?'
Going home at 10 pm and having to wait nine long hours to be back in the office! ;)

IMO, given the nature of the profession you've chosen, showing that you can focus and think on your feet will leave a positive impression.
That's a great thought, really! I guess I should get a pedicure, too. :p Edited by RecordProducer
meerkat stew
And I have to buy a skirt. :mad: Should I pick my hair up or let it down? The guy is in his sixties.

Given his age, catholic school girl black watch skirt should do just fine with knee highs and pigtails, Britney.

By the way, I just wondered if the protocol was to contact them before the interview.

Oh, yes, do call ahead to confirm that morning, and also "that I will be meeting X." Sometimes X will get busy and you will meet someone else whom you haven't researched at all.

This happened to me once, and instead of interviewing with the scheduled rank and file partner guy, was put in front of one of the top deal lawyers on Wall Street (one of the characters in the actual movie was based on him) unprepared. I lost the offer at that firm by a hair (sadly my top choice), and had I taken the time to make that call and make a plan to hit the right buttons on him, am sure I could have changed the outcome. Regret not making that call to this day. Don't repeat my mistake, verify whom you will be meeting.

Star didn't say anything about underwear! Do I have to buy lingerie that matches the ink color on my Resume - pink?

Yes, you can also change the font of the pink ink to a swirly gothic pattern that goes with the pattern on the bra/panties. Go shoulderless so they can actually see the matching patterns on your bra straps and resume'. They will swoon.

You didn't wait for the answer; I was going to post the firm's website along with my transcript and my naked photo! ;)

Teases make excellent lawyers, good for you.

2. An idle person who lives off others; a loafer.

3. A person who does tedious or menial work; a drudge.

I guess you referred to #3, but #2 describes me succinctly. :o

Magic 8 Ball says you will make partner in three years.

That's a great thought, really! I guess I should get a pedicure, too. :p

Get a Brazilian too in case they want to show you the firm tanning bed.

GordonDarkfoot

The only thing that matters is what school you went to, your grades, and whether you are on law review.

And how big your breasts are, if you have them.

Employers visit law schools for screening interviews with candidates they have selected. That is, a bunch of people from my school (and other schools) apply online and submit their resumes and whatever documents the firms requested. I was selected for an interview and signed up for a time slot today (12 other classmates will be interviewed by the same firm on the same day). I know the name (and by now the entire life story) of my interviewer (there are two of them).

Which law school are you attending?

My advice: Don't have your hopes up. These firms go to multiple schools and at each school interview 10 or so candidate, to at the end only choose one. And that one usually turns out to be on law review, top 10% of class, or the combination of both and more.

As a law student, you should ALREADY KNOW not to furnish one iota more than was specifically requested by the employer. I would never, ever hire an attorney who had offered me much more, or different from, what I asked for.

• Author
RecordProducer
Magic 8 Ball says you will make partner in three years.
This gave me such a hard laugh! :lmao: I'll PM you.

The only thing that matters is what school you went to, your grades, and whether you are on law review.

That's what Resumes are for. If they've selected me for an interview, I suppose it means they are fine with my credentials on paper. :)

Which law school are you attending?

My advice: Don't have your hopes up. These firms go to multiple schools and at each school interview 10 or so candidate, to at the end only choose one. And that one usually turns out to be on law review, top 10% of class, or the combination of both and more.

That's true for large firms. This firm is not large and they've seen my Resume and selected me. I don't have any experience with interviewing for a job, so I am preparing myself for ANY interview down the road. Of course I have my hopes up that at least one firm in my area will want me. :p

As a law student, you should ALREADY KNOW not to furnish one iota more than was specifically requested by the employer. I would never, ever hire an attorney who had offered me much more, or different from, what I asked for.
I was asking if the protocol was to contact them before the interview. As it turns out, it's not expected but it's OK to call them on the morning of the interview to confirm the meeting (see Meerkat's response).

Anyway, I searched for videos on interviewing for a job, and there's plenty of them on the web. Some of them are very helpful. Thanks everyone for your responses. :)