What should my mom do??

My dad might be losing his job, prompting my mom to attempt to enter the work force for practically the first time in her life.

She has a degree in math and some experience tutoring. Her English isn't perfect, but she can communicate effectively enough. She is really intelligent, a fast learner, great with people, and really practical.

I think if she'd tried to have a career earlier on, she'd have been extremely successful. As it is, she's 50, and desperate for anyone to hire her.

Any suggestions for what she could do?

The most important thing she is looking for is health benefits.

xpaperxcutx

Is your dad getting fired or is he getting laid off? I think most companies offer a severance pay, and he can apply for unemployment with the government.

I'm sorry your mom is going through all this.

• Author
Is she computer literate, particularly in word processing, power point and EXCEL?

She has some experience w/ Word and Excel, but there would definitely be a learning curve.

However, she really is a smart lady, probably smarter than my dad tho she never put her brains to good use. I think she'd be able to reach an intermediate level of proficiency in a month or two studying these programs at home.

She also has some programming experience from a long time ago, tho the language she used to program is probably long obsolete.

• Author
Is your dad getting fired or is he getting laid off? I think most companies offer a severance pay, and he can apply for unemployment with the government.

I'm sorry your mom is going through all this.

He thinks he's going to get fired.

threebyfate
She has some experience w/ Word and Excel, but there would definitely be a learning curve.

However, she really is a smart lady, probably smarter than my dad tho she never put her brains to good use. I think she'd be able to reach an intermediate level of proficiency in a month or two studying these programs at home.

She also has some programming experience from a long time ago, tho the language she used to program is probably long obsolete.

Good, get her up to speed, possibly taking a course or two, and then she can apply for clerical work to start off with, possibly at a temp agency if jobs are limited in her area. Temp help is usually categorized in a different place, when it comes to employment, as it relates to departmental budgets. The only problem is that temping won't get her the necessary health benefits, so she might want to go the route of applying for full time clerical work. But temp help is a foot in the door and if she's good, she might be kept on.

Your Dad stands the best chance of supporting the family by finding another job.

A 50-year with no work experience, no strong skills, and not a fluent English speaker is pretty unmarketable in this economy. You have people with 20 years experience in management willing to take administrative work, so given the two candidates, Mom doesn't fare well.

I'd encourage Dad to seek a new job ASAP. Even if he's fired, he is still eligible for COBRA, which will continue their health benefits for 18 months.

If Mom is still persistent in wanting to work, I would recommend she look for something in retail or food service. Particularly if she has a good personality.

• Author
Good, get her up to speed, possibly taking a course or two, and then she can apply for clerical work to start off with, possibly at a temp agency if jobs are limited in her area. Temp help is usually categorized in a different place, when it comes to employment, as it relates to departmental budgets. The only problem is that temping won't get her the necessary health benefits, so she might want to go the route of applying for full time clerical work. But temp help is a foot in the door and if she's good, she might be kept on.

Good call, TBF! I think if my mom were to find something like that, it would also give her confidence a much-needed boost. Right now, she doesn't believe she deserves a job, which is probably going to be a pretty obstacle to overcome during an interview.

• Author
Your Dad stands the best chance of supporting the family by finding another job.

A 50-year with no work experience, no strong skills, and not a fluent English speaker is pretty unmarketable in this economy. You have people with 20 years experience in management willing to take administrative work, so given the two candidates, Mom doesn't fare well.

I'd encourage Dad to seek a new job ASAP. Even if he's fired, he is still eligible for COBRA, which will continue their health benefits for 18 months.

If Mom is still persistent in wanting to work, I would recommend she look for something in retail or food service. Particularly if she has a good personality.

I think she feels this way too, but I'm hoping she can get lucky!

Agreed, 1000%.

Good call, TBF! I think if my mom were to find something like that, it would also give her confidence a much-needed boost. Right now, she doesn't believe she deserves a job, which is probably going to be a pretty obstacle to overcome during an interview.

Temping, even if full time, will rarely generate benefits, as employers only pay benefits for permanent employees after a certain period of time passes (typically 90 days).

Any suggestions for what she could do?

The most important thing she is looking for is health benefits.

the healthcare field is about the only one hiring these days

I think she feels this way too, but I'm hoping she can get lucky!

I'm not sure how things work in your country's education system, but here someone with a degree in math could get a job tutoring high school or even college students.

threebyfate
the healthcare field is about the only one hiring these days
This gives me an idea. How about applying to medical facilities or old-age homes for clerical jobs?
  • Author
This gives me an idea. How about applying to medical facilities or old-age homes for clerical jobs?

I'll suggest that to her. She liked your idea about temping!

• Author
I'm not sure how things work in your country's education system, but here someone with a degree in math could get a job tutoring high school or even college students.

She's already tutoring students. However, it's for cash, so she's not getting any credits toward social security benefits, nor any insurance.

She thinks she'd have to go back to school to do any more-formal teaching. (Also, I believe most schools' budgets are dried out nowadays so no one is hiring.)