Office Politics - It's nice to be wanted, but...

HokeyReligions

It’s a soap opera everywhere!

My supervisor on this Project is Sheila. She is a permanent employee. Her boss is Gary.

My new boss – when I start my new position – is Meg. (who is also the CFO reporting directly to the President)

Originally, Sheila told me that my contract ended 7/31. Then, at the last minute her boss, Gary, told me about a possible job on another project.

Sheila found out and came and told me that she “had” to send Betsy on that other job because Betsy had seniority and was also a permanent employee. (this turned out to be bs)

I asked Sheila if 7/31 was still going to be my last day. She said she would check with Gary.

The next day I hear that I got the job with Meg. Then Sheila comes back to me and says that Gary needs me to stay on this project for a while as its time for QA/QC. She said Gary had extended my contract through August 8 for this project. (she was very emphatic that it was Gary)

Meg said I would start working for her on the 11th and in the meantime I could get started with some projects and info gathering via email, until I’m over there permanently (this was my idea so that I can go in more prepared)

The following week Sheila comes to me and tells me that GARY needed me to stay on another week and that GARY would work it out with Meg so that I would start my new job on the 18th. I checked that with Meg and she said that, yes, I would start on the 18th – but I don’t know who she talked to.

Today (8/5/03 – Tuesday) Gary walks by my desk and stops and does a double-take. He was totally surprised to see me as he thought that I would have started working for Meg on Monday. He had no idea that I was extended here another 2 weeks. I said Sheila told me that “you” [Gary] needed me to stay on to finish the QA and had talked to Meg or Tim (Tim is the HR guy working w/ Meg) and asked that I stay on here another week, so I won’t start my new position until the 18th. He just looked at me and said he’d check into it.

Bottom Line: Sheila doesn’t like Betsy and has wanted to get rid of her for a while – so the first opportunity that came up she made sure that it was Betsy that got moved – even though I was the one they requested. Sheila made up the bogus story about having to offer it to Betsy first – Betsy could have stayed right here.

Sheila doesn’t want to lose me, so she lied and tried to make it sound like Gary is the one issuing all of these mandates, etc. because Sheila really doesn’t have the authority to make these decisions herself. So she makes phone calls and tells people things and claims that she is doing so at Gary’s request so that she gets what she wants.

I mean, it's nice to be wanted and needed, and Sheila sang my praises when I was applying for the other position, but she can't be trusted. She even offered me the corner office if I would agree to stay on this project as a contract employee for another six months (she really wanted me in Betsy's position) but I declined. A corner offcie w/ windows and my own color printer is nice - but its still not a permanent job.

It really has no impact on me financially, but I sure would like to get settled into my new job and start learning and producing and getting to know everyone!

Gary is checking into all of this now, and I'll follow-up with Meg later.

Ah, yes -- office politics.

On the positive side, I'm wearing new shoes and I *think* I may break them in before they break me! I was beginning to have my doubts when I wore them on Saturday and my feet screamed! :D

YOU WRITE: "On the positive side, I'm wearing new shoes..."

Yeah, and I got a GREAT deal on my car insurance!!!