Would you say anything?

so i'm a bit annoyed and would appreciate your opinions.

Today myself and another employee were moving some very heavy goods into the stock room.

In the way is a fire door and I propped it open for a maximum of 5 minutes so that we could pass through the door as we had to use both hands to carry the stock.

we didnt have any hands free because each item was very large, so we couldnt split the load.

now, i know I shouldn't technically prop this door open. but my MD saw and had a massive go at me. I appreciate he was angry but he full on shouted at me, in the shop where potentially a customer could have walked in. and also other members of staff were nearby.

Even my colleague on the first floor heard him shouting.

I dont mind being told off, and am happy to admit when i've done something wrong, but I think that if you're going to tell someone off you should take them to one side, and speak to them privately, not yell at them in front of everyone, so this is what I am annoyed about.

i've now totally lost respect for this person, as I see it as being very unprofessional, and also disrespectful to me, as I am after all an adult.

I really feel like saying something to him. I know i'm a subordinate but does that give him the right to speak to me in this way?

On the other hand, i just feel like applying for other jobs as I think that when a person thinks they have the right to conduct themselves in this way its only a matter of time before they do it again.

I do have a manager above me but I know he'll just tell me to forget about it and won't speak to my MD on my behalf.

so what would you do?

thanks

laRubiaBonita

it's a toughy.

i would write a professional letter to the MD expressing that you felt the shouting was very disrespectful and unprofessional, especially if a customer happened to come into the business and hear.

He's a jackass. I would have fun messing with him on a daily basis. Find out what pisses him off and do it at every opportunity. Try not to laugh when he dresses you down. Jackass!

StarrySkyBlue

What a mean person. Some people are just like that. I know it seems wrong to just let this slide, but unless you are ready for more trouble, I'm afraid you're gonna have to say nothing.

Employees just have to live with that :mad:

How long have you worked with him? Is this out of character for him? I have a background and currently work with several MD's and not just one. I've come to realize that some have an arrogance and feel entitled to do as they please and expect to be respected for their title alone. I've never been yelled at but have heard stories from other staff.

I don't blame you for fuming. I would do the same when I would be busy with a patient & an MD expected me to drop everything to "serve" them for their personal business.

If this is a one time thing and out of character for him, I would suck it up and let it go. But if it is a pattern, then I would start keeping track of it with the date & time of the incident and any witnesses available. No one should yell at you ever at your place of employment. And I have always believed that superiors should set an example to the subordinates.

I'll offer more advice based on your answers to my questions.

• Author
How long have you worked with him?

coming up for 2 years

Is this out of character for him?

not really. I have seen him go off on one at other people, albeit rarely.

the thing that got to me was it was like he lost control. his face was totally distorted in anger and i found that very unsettling.

I have a background and currently work with several MD's and not just one. I've come to realize that some have an arrogance and feel entitled to do as they please and expect to be respected for their title alone. I've never been yelled at but have heard stories from other staff.

yes, i think arrogance plays a part in my situation too.

I don't blame you for fuming. I would do the same when I would be busy with a patient & an MD expected me to drop everything to "serve" them for their personal business.

thanks, its nice just to have a bit of a rant

If this is a one time thing and out of character for him, I would suck it up and let it go. But if it is a pattern, then I would start keeping track of it with the date & time of the incident and any witnesses available. No one should yell at you ever at your place of employment. And I have always believed that superiors should set an example to the subordinates.

yes, I think so too.

thanks for your reply

• Author
What a mean person. Some people are just like that. I know it seems wrong to just let this slide, but unless you are ready for more trouble, I'm afraid you're gonna have to say nothing.

Employees just have to live with that :mad:

yes, unfortunately you're totally right. There's no higher power to go to in this instance so I doubt anything much will come of it.

• Author

well, i emailed my manager and told him what happened, basically because he had a right to know and I didnt want my MD to moan to him and my manager not know anything about what happened.

To my surprise he said he would talk to me about it on Monday but he didnt think he could do much about it other than raise the issue with the MD.

I was surprised he would even consider talking to our MD about it.

That made me feel a little better, i think because my manager knows I am always honest with him, and because he knows what our MD can be like.

When I went into work today, some other employees were talking to me about what happened (as they were nearby) and one of the girls said she would have cried if he had spoken to her like that.

Everyone thought i deserved an apology.

But when my MD came in he just said good morning as if nothing had happened, which annoyed me more than if he was bearing a grudge.

I suppose that proves he was in a bad mood at the time and was not genuinely angry with me, (i was just in the wrong place at the wrong time)

but in a way thats worse. its so unprofessional to take out your stress on your employees in that way.

So i'll wait until Monday to speak to my manager. at least I know he will believe my side of things.

thanks for all your replies, sometimes work really sucks doesnt it? :)

No Human or person has the *right* to be disrespectfull. PERIOD. Now with that off the table and set into reality Lets get to the meat of the matter.

You are not a subordinate, you are a team member and are on the same playing field. You both carry the same employee rights and thus deserve the same level of regard for your tasks and demeanor. A title does not mean ENTITLEMENT.

I can say this, each person *re-acts* differently to public discipline. If you have any dignity then you did well to speak up for yourself and the situation.

Not a fan of anyone that tells you to *suck it up* in the old days we called this *stuffing it* til one day you go off on someone. What goes in must come out . It makes one appear like a doormat and not at all a person who can be responsible and respecting.

I think its irrelevant how long you been there in this circumstance, the Boss needs to modify their behavior to create a common goal.

And propping open a fire door when in use is not illegal or against any codes. What is against code is blocking it, poor mechanisms, or not manufactured correctly for its purpose. Amongst other local building codes.

On the other hand, i just feel like applying for other jobs as I think that when a person thinks they have the right to conduct themselves in this way its only a matter of time before they do it again.

I do have a manager above me but I know he'll just tell me to forget about it and won't speak to my MD on my behalf.

so what would you do?

thanks

I would say something directly to the MD. Along the lines of "You know, you really went over the score when you yelled at me the other day. I would like an assurance that you won't do it again." You need to be in a calm and unflustered frame of mind when you approach him, though, and determined to remain in that frame of mind regardless of the response he gives you. Just be confident that regardless of your respective positions within the company, you are entitled to have boundaries...and not being yelled at is a reasonable boundary to have and to insist that others respect.

Also, if you go that route of approaching him for an apology make sure you've got something else to take to the brief meeting with you. Even if it's just a message or a memo you're passing on from someone else. Then once you get your assurance that it won't happen again, you can say "Thanks. On a different subject..."

jean-luc sisko

some bosses are bad bosses, and for that there is not much that can be done.

however, if this person is not superior to you, then you can file a complaint with HR.