I've been reading the jobs on craigslist.com and noticed quite a few that want you to submit a photo or they state a preference for either a man or a woman or they state an age range. Generally, they seem to be very small companies or individuals. Does that make them exempt?

ShadowBlue

No legit job will EVER:

1. Ask for a photo

2. Directly state a preference for gender for the position.

3. Directly state a preference for an age or age range for the position.

Star Gazer

In California, an employer actually can discriminate is if they have less than 5 employees (not counting family members of the owners). But not many meet that standard.

Sure it isn't an add for a hooker or something? :D

pureinheart
In California, an employer actually can discriminate is if they have less than 5 employees (not counting family members of the owners). But not many meet that standard.

Sure it isn't an add for a hooker or something? :D

Interesting info....you crack me up:lmao::lmao::lmao:

pureinheart
No legit job will EVER:

1. Ask for a photo

The only thing I could think of with these standards would be the entertainment/modeling industry

Not sure about the photo, but stating gender and age restrictions is illegal in Europe I think, as is restricting race, religion or sexual orientation. Many employers point this out in their adverts by stating they are an equal opportunity employer.

Jilly Bean

If it's a job listing on craigslist, then chances are HIGHLY probable it's a job in the sex industry.

I thought everyone knew this already? :cool:

• Author
In California, an employer actually can discriminate is if they have less than 5 employees (not counting family members of the owners).

It was in California so that explains it. They didn't strike me as sex ads, pretty run of the mill jobs. One particular job seemed to require some physical strength because you'd be moving and lifting things, so it made sense they wanted a youngish strong guy. Less worry about someone injuring themselves and getting workers' comp.

I can also understand an accountant or lawyer with a jealous wife, wanting to see photos of prospective secretaries. ;)

Star Gazer
It was in California so that explains it.

But do they have 5 or more employees? Because if so, the information sought IS unlawful.

One particular job seemed to require some physical strength because you'd be moving and lifting things, so it made sense they wanted a youngish strong guy. Less worry about someone injuring themselves and getting workers' comp.

They CAN make strength part of the job description ("must be able to life and move 50 lbs. hundreds of times per day").

• 2 weeks later...
It was in California so that explains it. They didn't strike me as sex ads, pretty run of the mill jobs. One particular job seemed to require some physical strength because you'd be moving and lifting things, so it made sense they wanted a youngish strong guy. Less worry about someone injuring themselves and getting workers' comp.

I can also understand an accountant or lawyer with a jealous wife, wanting to see photos of prospective secretaries. ;)

Either way, this doesn't sound like a very good prospective employer.

Well I just randomly picked Los Angeles on Craigs List and everyone of these jobs require a Photo...

What can you do other than to FLAG these posts ?

.Jun 7 - waitresses wanted waitreesses - food/beverage/hospitality

Jun 7 - WAITRESS, FEMALE BARTENDER - (HERMOSA BEACH) food/beverage/hospitality

Jun 7 - server - (Bel Air) food/beverage/hospitality

Jun 3 - Help Wanted - Gold Buyer - (Chatsworth, Northridge, Woodland Hills) retail/wholesale

Jun 2 - Bartender(female) and Bus Girl now wanted!! - (Burbank 91506) food/beverage/hospitality

Jun 1 - Upscale Boutique Seeking Intern - (West Hollywood) retail/wholesale

May 31 - Catering Servers Needed - (Pasadena/Los Angeles) food/beverage/hospitality

May 31 - Spa Resort Café Needs Servers - (West Hollywood) food/beverage/hospitality

May 29 - Waitress position @ WASABI sushi restaurant - (lake forest, CA) food/beverage/hospitality

May 27 - Seeking Young Female Staff for Upcoming Convention!!! - (Los Angeles) food/beverage/hospitality

May 26 - Line Cook Needed (West Hollywood) - food/beverage/hospitality

May 24 - EXPERIENCED SHOT GIRLS/GUYS - (Hollywood/Long Beach) food/beverage/hospitality

May 23 - Looking for Servers - (Beverly Hills) food/beverage/hospitality

May 21 - Looking for young staff for upcoming convention - food/beverage/hospitality

May 20 - Waitress position @ WASABI sushi restaurant - (lake forest, CA) food/beverage/hospitality

May 19 - Independent cafe seeks barista with experience - (West Hollywood) food/beverage/hospitality

May 18 - Sous Chef, line cook/prep, dish washer - (Melrose) food/beverage/hospitality

May 15 - WAITRESS - (HERMOSA BEACH) food/beverage/hospitality

May 14 - short order cook/food handler - (sherman oaks) food/beverage/hospitality

May 12 - FLEXIBLE EARN EXTRA $$ - (LOS ANGELES) food/beverage/hospitality

May 12 - New jazz club restaurant hiring various positions - (Glendale) food/beverage/hospitality

May 12 - Planet Raw hiring Hosts & Promoters! - (Santa Monica) food/beverage/hospitality

May 11 - Promotional Model - (Los Angeles) food/beverage/hospitality

I've been reading the jobs on craigslist.com and noticed quite a few that want you to submit a photo or they state a preference for either a man or a woman or they state an age range. Generally, they seem to be very small companies or individuals. Does that make them exempt?

It is against the law, and they're not exempt. The reason they do this anyway because it doesn't matter what the law says. People need jobs. People need jobs BADLY. No matter how qualified a person is, he or she needs a job much, much more than any employer needs to hire him or her. Employers have FAR more power than job seekers in the job market, and this is what really counts.

It is against the law, and they're not exempt. The reason they do this anyway because it doesn't matter what the law says. People need jobs. People need jobs BADLY. No matter how qualified a person is, he or she needs a job much, much more than any employer needs to hire him or her. Employers have FAR more power than job seekers in the job market, and this is what really counts.

Beautifully Spoken ! :)

Feelin Frisky

Certain businesses depend on serving a certain clientèle. Hooters would be right not to hire me as a waitress and I a fool to blow my money on suing them. All those rules about sexism and ageism et al usually relate to jobs in which function is the sole consideration. People discriminate all the time anyway based upon who they like being in their offices. It's stacked against the litigant because if they need a job, they probably don't have the resources to hire a lawyer and fight it out. Being "fired" for prejudicial reasons is an easier thing to litigate because unless the employer has a paper trail of poor performance, they are more exposed to it being an act of discrimination.

Edited by Feelin Frisky

Some people have found legit work from Craig's List, but to be on the safe side I wouldn't send ANYONE a picture over the internet. In fact, if I were you I wouldn't just send them your complete resume with any of your person info like phone number or or your address. Anyone can make up a fake job add on Craig's List. If you do want to see if they are legit, create a fake email address for yourself and send them a brief email asking them for their company name or website (anything that you can use to search out whether or not they are in fact a legitmate operating business and not a scam) and include a brief summary of the skills you have that pertains to the job ad. Just enough to let them know you are qualified (in the event that it is a real job) but not enough for you to waste your time if they are indeed freaks.

If they are real, they'll more than likely contact you back. If not, then you won't have to worry about some random faceless person having your real name, address, phone number or Photo. :D Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't really put my home address on any resumes up front unless you know you are being hired. Most employers would understand that in this day and age, I would think. As for a photo, why couldn't they just wait to see someone in person? If they're not walking down a runway or working as a promo girl (or guy ;))for a VIP club, that would seem creepy to request a photo. That would get a serious *side-eye* from me.

Be careful. Send an inquiry first.

Edited by imani
Some people have found legit work from Craig's List, but to be on the safe side I wouldn't send ANYONE a picture over the internet. In fact, if I were you I wouldn't just send them your complete resume with any of your person info like phone number or or your address. Anyone can make up a fake job add on Craig's List. If you do want to see if they are legit, create a fake email address for yourself and send them a brief email asking them for their company name or website (anything that you can use to search out whether or not they are in fact a legitmate operating business and not a scam) and include a brief summary of the skills you have that pertains to the job ad. Just enough to let them know you are qualified (in the event that it is a real job) but not enough for you to waste your time if they are indeed freaks.

If they are real, they'll more than likely contact you back. If not, then you won't have to worry about some random faceless person having your real name, address, phone number or Photo. :D Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't really put my home address on any resumes up front unless you know you are being hired. Most employers would understand that in this day and age, I would think. As for a photo, why couldn't they just wait to see someone in person? If they're not walking down a runway or working as a promo girl (or guy ;))for a VIP club, that would seem creepy to request a photo. That would get a serious *side-eye* from me.

Be careful. Send an inquiry first.

I believe part of it is really needing a photo ( maybe you will be a Hooters Girl or something where your appearance is important )

But I get this nagging suspicion that your photo could be used by scammers to make fake passports , to retaliate against you later , to photoshop your pic for malicious reasons or to PRETEND to be you on fake dating profiles...

Either way , NEVER send a pic unless you are a Model and even then I would meet the Photog / Company First . Tell them you won't give pics without being present.

I like the idea of not giving the address on your resume.

I have tried writing these scammers back but you are never going to get a legit answer about their company name because : IT DOES NOT EXIST.

NOTHING is real except your Western Union transaction with them where YOU are asked send money for a Visa/ Passport , blah blah.

Scammers do what WORKS ! And what works is out of work people desperate for a YES when all they hear is No .

An employer has the right to know a persons age due to labor laws. An employer can write "preferences " or "pre-qualified in educational degrees". Yes the employer can make sure you are a citizen , Yes an employer can ask for a photo to see if you are wanted by the FBI or won a Publishers Clearing house Prize! Those are my answers and I'm sticking to em!

An employer has the right to know a persons age due to labor laws. An employer can write "preferences " or "pre-qualified in educational degrees". Yes the employer can make sure you are a citizen , Yes an employer can ask for a photo to see if you are wanted by the FBI or won a Publishers Clearing house Prize! Those are my answers and I'm sticking to em!

Actually Tayla , they ask you if you are under 18.

Mimolicious
If it's a job listing on craigslist, then chances are HIGHLY probable it's a job in the sex industry.

I thought everyone knew this already? :cool:

Either that or they can be using your face on someone else's naked body. Bogus!

No legit job will EVER:

1. Ask for a photo

Incorrect. Inclusion is allowed. Exclusion is not allowed. Let's just say this is my area of expertise. I would find the practice of asking for a picture to be distasteful and unprofessional, not illegal. Companies can target certain age ranges and or races if they need to include more of these groups in their company. It seems these companies are not doing it professionally. Its done everyday but it should more transparent then this. Seems like they are either green or uninformed on how to do this. Might want to keep on looking.

Actually Tayla , they ask you if you are under 18.

Actually Mary, it was a humorous post I made. Meant to bring a smile. Oh well.

In my industry, we would never hire a man- but we can't legally say so.

It's retail, but it's bra fitting- and no female customer would feel comfortable having a man come into the changeroom to view them or touch them. We accept resume's from everyone, but a male would never be hired as a manager or sales associate. I just tell my manager's to accept all resumes regardless. A manager got in hot water a while back for telling a male applicant "we don't hire guys". He complained to head office and it was a big pain in the arse for HR.

Actually Mary, it was a humorous post I made. Meant to bring a smile. Oh well.

Okay !:lmao:

In my industry, we would never hire a man- but we can't legally say so.

It's retail, but it's bra fitting- and no female customer would feel comfortable having a man come into the changeroom to view them or touch them. We accept resume's from everyone, but a male would never be hired as a manager or sales associate. I just tell my manager's to accept all resumes regardless. A manager got in hot water a while back for telling a male applicant "we don't hire guys". He complained to head office and it was a big pain in the arse for HR.

What if the guy said : "Eww I hate touching breastsssss " :)