Too much information in CV?

I'm in the process of writing CVs for my postgrad applications as well as a few jobs that I'm eyeing for my 6-month working holiday before I start postgrad.

I'm just wondering about the wisdom of inserting 'partially-irrelevant' stuff into it. For example, I've done a significant amount of volunteer work, and I've also recently been accepted into MENSA (>98th percentile IQ). I wouldn't say it's completely irrelevant - volunteer work would signify character perhaps, and in the academic world, a high IQ goes far. But it isn't really 'relevant' as per skills, qualifications, and experience either.

What do you guys think? Would it sound silly and self-flattering to put those in?

TaraMaiden

I know for a fact that CVs must not be verbose, and should contain details about you, possibly relevant to your line of work. That you do volunteer work may not be as relevant as your MENSA score.

There again, a high score doesn't necessarily mean you're clever, or intellectual. It's something that really, ultimately doesn't tell them how well you'd do at your job.

Relevance is the key word. To the prospective job application.

I tailored my CV for different positions applied for. I actually had 4 different CVs on the go at once, at one point.

If you're looking for different jobs, why would your CV be the same for all of them, unless they were all the same posts? You don't have to stick to just one.....

Also, Prospective employers don't like CVs longer than 2 pages.

Anything else is just babble and they lose interest.

This isn't my assessment, but one from employment agencies I've worked through, and an assessment which I know to be accurate....

Good luck.

I agree re: CV length and relevance. I recently had to read over 40 CVs for a new employee at my practice, and the short and to the point ones were the ones I read all of.

Relevance helps you keep it brief.

I also ditched any that had bad spelling/ grammar- in this day and age there is NO excuse to have spelling mistakes and bad grammar.

TaraMaiden

Oh lordy, don't go there....

isn't it shocking? Really??

I mean, what the hell are they teaching these kids? (or 'not', as the case may be.....!)

Actually, they're not always young, either.....:rolleyes:

I had two CVs with perfect spelling once, and both from dyslexic applicants, who had both been precise, meticulous and conscientious about the presentation of their CVs. But they both advised me they were dyslexic.

It was an important factor.

We employed one, and the other found another post.

I think they should have a class in schools teaching Kids about life.

How to pay bills, how to manage a bank account, how to write a CV, how to dress the part, how to constructively discuss and debate.....

There's so much lacking in current education.

they may be intelligent, but they're not clever. or streetwise.

I'm sorry, that was a ranting O/T threadjack.

I apologise.

• Author

Hehe, I find it quite funny how the both of you can be in agreement about general CV stuff, but give me different advice as to whether I should put them in or not! ;)

Sb, thanks! :) I heard you're in NZ... if it helps, that was where I planned to lodge the majority of my applications.

TM, I agree that MENSA membership doesn't mean anything about one's competency in a particular job, although I would argue that for the majority of cases, getting in does require a certain degree of conventional intelligence. Still, yeah, that's why I was wondering if it should be put in.

SadandConfusedWA

It depends on the length of your CV. If it's 1-2 pages with MENSA and volunteer work, then by all means go for it.

Where in NZ were you thinking of going for your working holiday?

I live in one of the most popular tourist areas, and there is alot of seasonal work here in the summer.

PM me if you want some more details

My husband and I recently spoke with a person pretty high up in an online recruiting company. He told us:

ALWAYS use your linkedin.com website every single day. Recruiters today DO look at it, your connections, your approvals, your everything. Use it every single day.

ALWAYS adapt your resume to the particular job you are applying for. If you have 255 resumes, for 250 jobs you've applied for, so be it. You have to use the search words that were in the job description, IN your resume.

Always look for links to the company you're applying for, via linkedin.com

ALWAYS fill your resume with as much pertinent information as you can think of. They no longer look for the one-page resume. The computer handles the resume now. Cares not for how many pages. Cares only for the search words inherent in the job description, as matched to your resume.

Just leave out things like skiing, horseback riding, cooking competitions, knitting. I've actually seen crap like that on resumes!