dream life vs. work life

I've been working at a newspaper in the town where I grew up, for 1 year 4 months. I like to write and I'm working as a writer. I have a degree in this. Most of my family is here, not really a necessity but it is cool. I get paid very well compared to most other people my age. I also get to see how things work in the community. People actually read my stories and say I'm doing a good job. Did I mention that I'm in Hawaii. So, this will be a really big move. Then again, coming back here was a big move.

At work we're going through a reorganization of the staff and the one person who is jockeying for a promotion is making my work life *hell* by being intolerant of Hawaii people after only being here 4 months. other people are pissed at him, too. It's not The Reason for wanting to leave, but it definitely doesn't help.

Anyway except for having grown up here I don't really fit in, though I have been trying mainly for my job. I want to see new places, at least in the states for now. Everyone to whom I've talked about this has said they seized opportunities to travel and never regretted it. I didn't get a chance after college and I do feel like I missed something by going straight to work. I'm certain I can pick up freelance writing jobs and hop around to stay with family and friends.

I'm pretty confused about what to do and I constantly ask myself if leaving is the right thing to do. I've been thinking about it for a long time. Only, I haven't really "researched" it. Possibly this is the story of my life right now. If only I could be more determined and just go for it, and believe that I'm not going to end up penniless in the street....

Any advice or similar experiences anyone can share?

thanks! :bunny:

hate to tell you, but compared to other professions, journalism is a low-paying job for the hours you put in, and you pretty much have to really really like what you do, or not mind the lack of money ...

that said, if you are single and willing to relocate, you can pretty much write your own ticket as far as your career is concerned.

you mention wanting to work on the mainland. Do you have any ideas where you'd like to go? When I got started back in 1990, one of the places we were told about in J-school was the Texas Daily Newspaper Association, which lists positions available at daily newspapers across the state, from small dailies to larger ones, and that was a HUGE asset. In fact, that's how I found my first two newspaper jobs (the next two came from tips from other reporters/editors).

You might want to get on a mailing list of such an association, or see if you can find them on line. Next, when you ID the job(s) you're interested in, contact the chamber of commerce from that town to find out more about it -- what goes on in that community, how safe it is to live there, the best places for a single girl to live, etc. Usually you'll find the person you're talking to pretty chatty and informative. It's also a good idea that when you go for the interview, stop by the police station and talk to one of the cops or dispatchers and ask where are the better places to live in town and what to expect as far as crime or other problems. That usually balances what the CofC person will tell you, because they're trying to sell the city to visitors and will paint a bright picture of a place.

Because you're moving to the mainland, you probably will incur a lot of expenses just trying to get established, and chances are, unless you are a very gifted writer or have a lot of experience, you're going to end up with a lower-paying cub reporter's job. You might think about looking for work near a place where you've got some kind of connection -- family, friends -- so that you are not completely alone out there. When i got to East Texas, the nearest relative was about three hours away, and that was the sister who normally drives me nuts, so it was a mixed blessing ...

best of luck finding a job on the mainland, though you might reconsider staying where you are despite the jerk who is looking to be your higher-up: someone like that usually only stays around long enough to get the experience he/she needs to get a better job someplace else!

quank

seeing that you might not have much luck finding work in the States (although why not try?), are there any other places you'd like to go?

i think travelling is a great idea, and i hope to have some of that between graduation & settling down.

Think of it this way - if you don't give this a shot, will you regret it for the rest of your life? If so, go for it! If not, perhaps wait until you're more sure.

Best of luck,

-yes