emily_the_strange

I have worked for a high-tech company for the last 5 years and I'm about as senior as you can get without being a manager. It's been made clear to me that there is no opportunity for advancement and there won't be any promotions any time soon. However, now that the economy is looking up, I am getting calls/emails from headhunters offering me director level jobs and more money... I get at least 2 per week but I have not taken the bait yet. My problem is that I really like my coworkers and I consider a few of them real friends. While I want to make more money, I don't want to leave the friends I have made... It's the age old question - love or money? I think I just answered my own question :bunny:

What would you do?

Money.

The true friends will remain friends as your career continues to flourish. If you have gone as far as you can with your current job, staying in it just for the companionship is pretty silly.

Money.

The true friends will remain friends as your career continues to flourish. If you have gone as far as you can with your current job, staying in it just for the companionship is pretty silly.

...not to mention a waste of your time. By staying there, you'll more than likely end up watching or helping other people in a lower position reach their goals of being promoted and you'll still be stagnant in your same position. And you'll regret it.

I've stayed at a few jobs way too long out of loyalty and because I liked my coworkers for the most part. Luckily, I woke up and went for my own goals. That's basically giving yourself a promotion right there. No glass ceiling for you, go where you will be professionally happy. Trust me, your "friends" from

work will still be available for after work drinks and chat up sessions. And the

ones who aren't will fall by the wayside and won't matter.

At the very least, why not take an interview or two with some of those head hunters. See what some of their offers are and what your options are. I truly hope you go for it. You can always email or face book your old coworkers. :-)

I say do what makes you happy. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like you enjoy working there anymore. Personally, I think your coworkers will continue to be your friend no matter which company you work for. And, you can separate work from your personal life a lot better.