Does being scared about a VP promotion mean you arent ready?

I been working for this opportunity for almost 20 years and one of (if not the top) players in my industry is about to offer me a Regional VP posting to leave my current (smaller) role in a competitor.

I desperatly want this opportunity, its not going to come where I am because its filled by another young and dynamic leader, but Im scared out of my mind that if I mess it up, my career will be ruined.

These guys are the top dog on the block, a global giant, offering me the top job in the region and what if it all goes to hell in a handbasket?

Typically, these roles are best filled from within because of the internal knowledge required to navigate the resources and really maximize the infrastructure and that will already put me behind the 8 ball to catch up. They are looking outside because they want new young blood into the region and thats my profile.

Anyhow, does this mean I think I am not ready and I am star struck by the huge pay cheque (close to 150k++)?

I want to take this opportunity I have been working for, but are these feelings normal when a jump of this is made?

ps ... I have plenty of strategic and management experience in the industry, so its not that its a new role, but never at this size and magnitude. the biggest region I ever managed was probably about 10million in revenue and this new role will quite likely be in the 100+ million category.

It's natural to have fears and doubts- but you can't walk away from an opportunity like this.

They wouldn't be looking at you if you weren't qualified.

• Author
It's natural to have fears and doubts- but you can't walk away from an opportunity like this.

They wouldn't be looking at you if you weren't qualified.

i hear you, thanks ... i just cant stop thinking that even by posting this, i am showing weakness that i cant afford to carry into this posting. at the same time, i believe that fear and doubt is part of what drives me to be succesful.

its just so tough to talk about.

i hear you, thanks ... i just cant stop thinking that even by posting this, i am showing weakness that i cant afford to carry into this posting. at the same time, i believe that fear and doubt is part of what drives me to be succesful.

its just so tough to talk about.

I hear you. But know you aren't alone in feeling a little insecure, everyone has self doubt, everyone is afraid of failure.

I lost my business in this past recession- I lost everything actually, including my house and my car, and I had to move home to my parents house. My self esteem was shot.

I didn't know what I was qualified to do after that. I knew I had the skills and experience, but I had failed at something, and that loomed over me. I took a job that paid me half my former salary after that, the worked my way up to a better paying job, then recently left that job for a new challenge.

I still have moments of doubt- but I am succeeding in my new job, and I know I am making a good impression so far. I am back out on my own and making ends meet again.

You've been working toward this your whole life, and you've earned this- when the doubt creeps in, reason with yourself.

I'm sure every top player in your field has felt the same way you do right now. They certainly wouldn't put $100+ M revenue in your hands if they didn't think you could handle it. The way you feel is quite normal and good. It means you are going to give this job everything you have. Good Luck!

My suggestion is to just feel the fear and do it anyway. You said you've worked 20 years for this. It's natural to feel nervous about finally reaching a goal you've worked so long for. You'll be fine. Good luck and congrats.

Fear is absolutely normal in this situation. Along with excitement and anticipation.

It's a huge company. They already have a way of doing things - you'll be mostly learning what the status quo is at first. There are other Regional VP's you can learn from. You'll have an EVP to report to, who will also provide you with guidance. And don't forget, you'll have a whole team of VP's in your region who know the region backwards and forwards and who will be doing the heavy lifting. They're already doing their jobs, with or without a Regional VP at the moment.

Basically, you may have a lot to learn, but there are a lot of people to learn from and it's not like you're starting from scratch - they have plans in place and methodology and are already up and running. Your first job is to understand what they're currently doing and how this company works.

Once you've got that, then you can start thinking more strategically and develop the new plans and ideas they are hoping you can bring. You'll be full of those once you get a handle on what they are and aren't doing now.

Take it step by step. Ask a lot of questions. Develop relationships with your fellow RVP's and GM or EVP, and the VP's reporting to you. AND with your Exec Assistant and Operations Director, who really are the ones running everything anyway. ;)

• Author

thanks to everyone for the encouragment and advice! had another meeting with the CEO and HR is preparing the package, so onward and upward here we come!

I think it's a good sign that you are scared. This is a big responsibility and from what I've read, you have earned it. I believe that being scared will encourage you to push yourself, give you that competitive edge needed for this position. This is actually normal and this feeling will do you more good if you look at it positively. Not to sound mean or disrespectful, but I would consider you a fool if you went into this position not feeling anything.