Question about posted resumes on job boards when you are employed

This is something I have never done before and was wondering what are some of the best ways to market yourself when employed? I'm thinking posting a resume on monster or careerbuilder is not a good idea since it can be seen by employers. So how do you market yourself when employed?

laRubiaBonita
This is something I have never done before and was wondering what are some of the best ways to market yourself when employed? I'm thinking posting a resume on monster or careerbuilder is not a good idea since it can be seen by employers. So how do you market yourself when employed?

as long as you do not do this at work- why would it matter is your employer saw it?

are you not allowed to market yourself via employment agreements?

it's not as if you are dating or married and are going to a dating site.....

• 3 weeks later...

I've been in both positions (employed/looking and unemployed/looking) and in neither case did I post my resume on a job board. I only sent out my resume to specific employers in response to specific jobs that they posted. In my cover letter I explained the reason why I was applying to their job.

I went through a career transition/placement service during my last layoff, and they advised me never to use job boards to post my resume - because you don't have any control over who sees it or how it's used.

I've found a much better tool to mass-market myself is via a professional profile site such as LinkedIn. Lots of employers and headhunters are crawling these sites today looking for qualified people, and they can easily email you through it (without anyone else knowing about it). Your complete resume (and picture, if you want it on there) is online for all to see but you're not spelling-out that you are looking. Plus you can join organizations and link your profile to them on there. And you can build your networking contacts, coworkers, friends, etc. on it. They can even write you a recommendation right on your profile, again for all to see.

I should add, whatever you do, never Never NEVER trash your current or former employers! It's bad form and leaves a negative impression on a potential new employer, even if they're a competitor. Come up with another (more positive) reason why you're looking or no longer employed there, such as "I'm looking for more opportunities for advancement" or "I'd really like to work for your company because it does X, Y and Z".