The damn "Reply All" feature...

...finally got me today. And it made me do this: :sick:

Stupid, stupid, stupid, STAR! :mad: And it went out to over 1,000 people! I may as well have flipped off an entire convention or something!

Anyone else make that silly mistake?

I have forwarded the wrong email before a couple of times.

I once replied to my wife about something personal and after I hit send I learned that I hit reply to the wrong email and it went to a sales person here instead..

I was just in a real hurry and wasn't even sitting down when I sent the email from my laptop.

That's about it.. nothing horrible but somewhat embarrassing..

...finally got me today. And it made me do this: :sick:

Stupid, stupid, stupid, STAR! :mad: And it went out to over 1,000 people! I may as well have flipped off an entire convention or something!

Anyone else make that silly mistake?

Hopefully you weren't talking to a friend about your period or something like that..

hahahahahaha

It hasn't happened yet, but only because i write software and I know how easy things go wrong and I'm so so so careful, knock on wood.

In fact for any email that really personal or might cause issues, I write it, then save it in drafts, reread it the next day then send it.

So how bad was your email?

• Author
So how bad was your email?

It wasn't all that bad, it's just embarassing because in context it's clear that it was a mistake. Someone in particular was included that I wouldn't have wanted to see what I was saying in writing. I'd say it to his face, but I don't like the paper trail... :D

georgia girl

Done worse. Got an email from a colleague who decided to take yet ANOTHER vacation while the rest of us are working our tails off. So, I intended to send it to a third collegue with the reply, "You have got to be f****** kidding me!" (but I spelled it out). Accidently, I hit "Reply All." We all co-own our business and had a meeting together that same day. But, as I am a more senior partner, the vacation request disappeared! :lmao:

SadandConfusedWA

Yeah, I have sent an e-mail to my boss that I meant to send to a guy I was going out that night. It was embarassing as the e-mail was quite flirty and it wasn't even clear that it wasn't meant for the boss :o Then I have sent another one straight away (within like 2mins) and apologized to the boss and said that it was meant to someone else. He just replied with "easy mistake to make, no worries".

I have done it a couple of times.

Now, I just have my email client setup to send mail every 2 minutes, instead of instantly.

Saved me some headaches.

• Author
Done worse. Got an email from a colleague who decided to take yet ANOTHER vacation while the rest of us are working our tails off. So, I intended to send it to a third collegue with the reply, "You have got to be f****** kidding me!" (but I spelled it out). Accidently, I hit "Reply All." We all co-own our business and had a meeting together that same day. But, as I am a more senior partner, the vacation request disappeared! :lmao:

Those very words were in my message! :o

:lmao:

• Author
I have done it a couple of times.

Now, I just have my email client setup to send mail every 2 minutes, instead of instantly.

Saved me some headaches.

GENIUS idea! I must figure out how to set that up. I'm assuming it's in Outlook?

Something about the culture at my company, people don't joke around or express much emotion in emails. It's all professional. So the risks are low. I did once reply all when I meant to just reply to our director, but it was a minor mistake. It still freaked me out a little bit that I did it.

I made most of my email mistakes when I was just starting out, and now I have good habits that keep me safe. In that respect I feel pretty superior to you people.

I remember in the days of Lotus Mail with a gateway you could unsend an email before it got read..

If I'm not mistaken you can still do that today providing your use Outlook and your company uses a Microsoft Exchange Server..

The worst I ever did was in college, way back before the net, we just got a couple of terminals for our mainframe we could use instead of card decks (yes, that long ago). We figured out how to send messages back and forth between terminals and I ended up having cybersex with a girl I worked with that was working on the other side of campus.

The next morning in our weekly work meeting (I worked on campus) our boss said something to the effect that since they were still debugging the new terminals that all messages got logged in the computer room and reviewed by management and we should behave. Man I was embarrassed.

I once farted real loud durring the moment of silence at an assembly. No one knew it was me though just that some one in the area had done it.

GENIUS idea! I must figure out how to set that up. I'm assuming it's in Outlook?

Yep... in my version it's:

Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup (tab)

Then just under the "Send/Receive" heading.

I once sent an email to the wrong guy - It was meant to be for my workmate in my dept and I accidentally sent it to one of our account managers in another state who has the same first name.

The funny thing was, it was a link to an artist I like who has a penchant for drawing very sexy and scantily clad women - pinups and stuff and my grammar and spelling was very slang.

He wrote back that he liked the artist or some such. I didn't realise until he replied! Oh noes! So I shot a quick message back saying "Wrong guy sorry".

Whoops!

As a busy job hunter I received this fake email about a job and was tired of those scam jobs so I wrote a very bizarre letter back to their questions.

Somehow I accidentally sent that email to a REAL HR department for a very real job. Never heard back from that particular HR department.. lol...:lmao:

laRubiaBonita

i have had the RA curse too..... but my worst goof was NOT putting someone on hold when i thought i had.... it was a call for my boss who was standing by my desk. he was already irritated with the caller and said some very unsavory things and refused the call.

i go to relay the message that the boss is unavailable only to find out that the caller had heard everything!!!

now when i place someone on hold i put the phone reciever in the cradle to ensure that they are on hold.

My funniest email blunder happened last month.

I had booked a hotel reservation for bf and I meant to sent him the reservation so he would have the address (I've been on the road a lot and he was meeting me in another town).

So I wrote up a lovey-dovey e-mail - including some suggestions of the activities we would do once we met up - and sent it... To the hotel's front desk! (I pressed reply instead of forward...)

:o

They replied the funniest email: it was all serious, with a recommendation that I send the email to the appropriate person. But then they signed off with:

Your Prince Charming.

Cracked me up.

I do the same thing my outbox is set to 10min. In addition anytime I am worked up on an issue the message goes into the draft box for the next day. Gives me a chance to cool down sometimes and do a rewrite.

The Reply All thing I hate is when someone sends out a message asking if a meeting at 2:00p is good to a distribution list of 20 and everyone does a reply all 'good for me' I think only the person setting up the meeting needs to know this :rolleyes:

My funniest email blunder happened last month.

I had booked a hotel reservation for bf and I meant to sent him the reservation so he would have the address (I've been on the road a lot and he was meeting me in another town).

So I wrote up a lovey-dovey e-mail - including some suggestions of the activities we would do once we met up - and sent it... To the hotel's front desk! (I pressed reply instead of forward...)

:o

They replied the funniest email: it was all serious, with a recommendation that I send the email to the appropriate person. But then they signed off with:

Your Prince Charming.

Cracked me up.

Now thats hysterical :)):lmao:

JaneInVegas

I have eliminated this problem (knock on wood) by using self-control to never email even one word to anyone through my work email that I wouldn't want someone else to read. I treat every email like it's going to be read company wide. There are IM's and texts, my personal email and the telephone for everything else! Getting up and walking down the hallway for a face-to-face is a lot less dangerous, too. :cool:

Sorry to hear about your mishap, hope it's not as bad as you fear.