How to get Co-Worker fired...

dennisflorida

O.K., i don't really want that...but she's definitely not pulling her

weight and we need someone efficient! I don't want her to get

fired...But we need someone younger (no offense), someone that

understands computers better, can work on her own, etc.

This lady was hired 5 months ago to do accounting, filing, invoicing,

billing, set up vendor accounts, handle money, really important stuff:

But she doesn't catch on real quick, is ALWAYS needing things

explained in full detail to her, can't figure anything out on her

own and rather than do what she was hired to do...keeps cleaning

the office. She'll come into the stock room area and start painting

a crack in the wall with a brush and paint she brought from home.

She keeps re-arranging furniture and dusting things and will comment

how bad out place is, how dirty it is, it's disgusting, which it really

isn't. I've explained how to do certain tasks to her and she forgets

the next day.

i once mentioned to the boss that she moves stuff around and really

should focus on the work at hand. And she came to me the next day and

said i "tattled" on her because the Boss obviously told her that "I" told

them...blah, blah, blah. I've tried in nice subtle ways WHY she keeps

doing this and that. But it's in one ear and out the other with her.

Bottom Line, it just makes work harder for me and others. We're a small

place. The Boss is always out travelling, so in a way he doesn't have the

time to care and it's like the higher ups don't care and would rather

US train her and get her up to speed. But we don't have time for that...

Edited by dennisflorida

Your boss needs to man up.

we have a similar situation at work.

There's a woman there who's a real B1tGh.

She doesn't handle stress well, she's not generally popular, and if there's a flare up at work between 2 members of staff, you can betcha she will always be one of them.

She's volatile, dihonest, moody, temperamental, and flies off the handle and says the most stupid things like "You wait until I tell your BF what you said about him!" to one girl who's having a bit of a tough time, and just vented a little and 'shared' with her fellow lady colleagues.....

She's a liability.

I'm the Manager.

but I don't have disciplinary authority, and can't put anyone on a warning.

My boss has to be the hire & Fire guy.

And he's utterly spineless.

So?

I'm stuck having to keep things calm and pour oil on troubled waters.

You're going to have to gather other staff members who might feel the same and tell your boss it's not a happening thing with this lady.....

Would that work, do you think?

• Author
dennisflorida

You're going to have to gather other staff members who might feel the same and tell your boss it's not a happening thing with this lady.....

Would that work, do you think?

that's tough being a manager but not having the authority, tara.

I would like to take the reins and have a sit down with the Boss and

mention some things. But he's in semi-retirement mode and seems

like he doesn't care AND wouldn't have the balls to fire her anyway.

He leaves it up to his Wife (the other Boss) who is never here and

doesn't like to make waves either. I know they'll just ask ME to

talk to this lady and maybe help her with the things i think she needs

to improve on. But she's really hopeless...She's 62 and we really need

a younger gal or guy who knows computers and knows how to resolve

issues quicker. If she was 62 and a lot sharper and knew her stuff,

i would have no problem.

there's more slack i've taken up and i've purposely not given her things

to do because I can do it quicker and just get it done without hassle.

Oh yeah, when she's busy cleaning or moving furniture around, the

phones are ringing and not being answered (which she was hired to do)

Edited by dennisflorida
Peaceful Guy

well, it must be nice having all the free time to notice all the stuff she is or is not doing! i mean, you've probably got a few valid points, but now your "out to get her", and its gonna color your perception of everything she does.

jean-luc sisko

dude, i'm facing the exact problem at work now.

This trainee we have is the pits. it takes him a long time to absorb information, he seldom meets deadlines, and he always make excuses as to why he is not getting through.

imo, it's the decent thing to help co-workers who are not performing, and show them how to improve. but this guy is not helping himself, and i'm thinking of just washing my hands of him now.

i think your department should sit down with her, and offer constructive criticism to aid her.

PhillyDude

the next day.

I wish I can get someone fired at my job. She is Lazy, Calls out two mondays a month, complains everyday, and doesn't want to stay late once a month to help out

jean-luc sisko
I wish I can get someone fired at my job. She is Lazy, Calls out two mondays a month, complains everyday, and doesn't want to stay late once a month to help out

constructive criticism, and point out how she can improve.

She may not even be aware of her behaviour, or at least how it affects others i the workplace.

If you were under performing, wouldn't you like the chance to be shown how to improve? not everybody grasps things as readily as others, or adjusts to situations as well either.

the next day.

Well first and foremost, you cannot discriminate within the workplace based on someone's age. You are both co-workers and this is a conflict over work abilities and work load. While it sucks for you, it is something that management has to "manage" better.

Unfortunately, higher ups do not want to hear about co-worker gripes and riffs so it puts you in the position of micromanaging, which is fairly common, but perhaps a better way to approach it would be to suggest ideas that promote improved efficiency within the company and overall employee productivity versus approaching it from a "nit picking" angle.

Maybe you can also have your co-worker compile a list of things she has questions on and/or needs help with and you can sit down with her once a week to go over it. Not all employees catch on as quickly as others and it can be frustrating and nerve wracking for them coming into a new place of employment especially if other co-workers dote on them.

PhillyDude
constructive criticism, and point out how she can improve.

She may not even be aware of her behaviour, or at least how it affects others i the workplace.

If you were under performing, wouldn't you like the chance to be shown how to improve? not everybody grasps things as readily as others, or adjusts to situations as well either.

Oh she is aware and that's why I will be so relieved when I come to work one day to hear she was let go.

She is a plus size woman who has no idea how to dress and is not emotionally stable.

Lauriebell82

First of all,

Getting let go from my job was one of the most horrible things that has ever happened to me. And it wasn't even because of my performance. I would never in a trillion years wish that pain on anyone EVER. Even if they do deserve it. I know you said that you really "don't" but it's the title of your thread so I would assume that you wouldn't be too broken up if she did get let go.

That being said, maybe YOU should talk to her since it bothers you that much. Be nice about it, but maybe ask her if there is anything going on in her life that bothers her. Maybe this isn't the right job for her or maybe there is just something going on that you don't know about.

Peaceful Guy

She is a plus size woman who has no idea how to dress and is not emotionally stable.

god, i totally know how you feel! im like, really?.. fat people?.. in the same place as me!?!?! i just want to lock her up, feed her one meal a day, give her clothes to wear, and punish her for crying.. you know what i mean? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::p:p:lmao:

pureinheart
well, it must be nice having all the free time to notice all the stuff she is or is not doing! i mean, you've probably got a few valid points, but now your "out to get her", and its gonna color your perception of everything she does.

I concure with this. There will always be people in the workplace that will not measure up to my measuring stick and vice versa. I did MY job, and said nothing about anyone else unless they got up in my business and then I dealt with them directly.

I retired from a worldwide, large company and hung out with upper management...trust me, they know what's going on. There is a lot more to than what meets the eye.

pureinheart
First of all,

Getting let go from my job was one of the most horrible things that has ever happened to me. And it wasn't even because of my performance. I would never in a trillion years wish that pain on anyone EVER. Even if they do deserve it. I know you said that you really "don't" but it's the title of your thread so I would assume that you wouldn't be too broken up if she did get let go.

That being said, maybe YOU should talk to her since it bothers you that much. Be nice about it, but maybe ask her if there is anything going on in her life that bothers her. Maybe this isn't the right job for her or maybe there is just something going on that you don't know about.

LB....you are a born leader because you are extremely professional. Not all the management that I dealt with was entirely mature, although the majority was. They NEVER talked down to their employees (which they really weren't "their" employees, the paycheck did not come out of their pockets), they never gossiped, all situations were handled in a mature manor...looking back I really appreciate their behavior....go for it girl.

Edited by pureinheart
Art_Critic

The problem with getting a co worker fired is that it puts a target on your back.. you will then be one of the next to go..

Management doesn't want someone on their team who isn't a team player and getting someone fired certainly isn't playing on the team.

I think you should clean your own house and not worry about someone who isn't under your authority.

In other words.. unless you are this person boss then just worry about your own performance and the rest will shake out on it's own, it You chose to tell on this person and get this person fired then your time on that team will be shorter than you realize.

Edited by Art_Critic
Lauriebell82
god, i totally know how you feel! im like, really?.. fat people?.. in the same place as me!?!?! i just want to lock her up, feed her one meal a day, give her clothes to wear, and punish her for crying.. you know what i mean? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::p:p:lmao:

That's not even funny as a joke!

Peaceful Guy

That's not even funny as a joke!

i know, it really wasn't. im sorry.. i actually signed back on to say that. sometimes i feel so justified in making a point that ill make an extreme example or joke like that but its not okay and it was inappropriate. again, im sorry.

amerikajin
The problem with getting a co worker fired is that it puts a target on your back.. you will then be one of the next to go..

Management doesn't want someone on their team who isn't a team player and getting someone fired certainly isn't playing on the team.

I think you should clean your own house and not worry about someone who isn't under your authority.

In other words.. unless you are this person boss then just worry about your own performance and the rest will shake out on it's own, it You chose to tell on this person and get this person fired then your time on that team will be shorter than you realize.

This.

If I knew that there was someone who was actually trying to get another employee fired, I would probably deal with that employee before dealing with the incompetent staffer. Your bottom line is, if the manager hasn't noticed significant problems as a result of her performance, then there isn't a problem. But if he notices someone ruining morale within the office, that is something he will notice immediately. I would fire a morale wrecker as soon as I could.

Hey DF,

This person is under your authority if you are her manager, it is a shame they didn't actually give you any power with the job. You are in a tough spot and I have been there myself. There are no easy answers. It is VERY difficult to get someone fired nowadays due to potential lawsuits. You need to begin a paper trail. Begin documenting specific incidents where she is not completing her work. It sounds like she is overwhelmed and knows she can't do the job and is trying to compensate by doing tasks she can handle but are unnecessary, ie: cleaning. I have had managers like this. If all of you can begin documenting the situation, and also leaving her to do her work (incompetent as it may be), then her inabilities should become apparent. This is difficult if the business depends on her completing her tasks and is especially hard if the boss is gone a lot. Check out your chain of command and work thru it. Also, check out the business's policy to see what actions/inactions are actually "fireable" offenses. Good luck. I empathize with you.

You'reasian

the next day.

Check with her before the day begins. Ask her what she's working on. Remind her of what the priorities of the day are.

Check with her at the end of the day.

Did she complete the tasks at hand?

How has this person performed when you are out of the office?