I don't know how to proceed

I work as a financial advisor, it's a self employed job where I set my own schedule and I have no boss and I only get paid for the work that I do. Currently I live with my father, who is the head honcho in the office I work out of (not really a boss, more of a mentor or guide or something, tells you what you have to do to win but doesn't make you do it).

I LOVE my work, I love most everything about it, the only thing is I need more appointments and you don't really need to know the specifics of it but bottom line is I don't make enough money at it to move out of my parents house, through nobody's fault but my own.

To top it off my father is being a real pain in the ass, for everybody else that works out of the office they only have to hear him 3 days a week during our meetings, but I CONSTANTLY have to hear how I'm screwing up and should do better. Basically he just tears me down all the time. I realize he's trying to do it for my own good but thats not really helping. I know what I need to do and I am doing it, it just takes time to do and hearing my father chew me out everyday is getting really old.

I feel I'm stuck with 2 options.

1. I work that much harder at this job and do all i can and put up with my father chewing me out the whole time until I finally move out.

2. I get a 'real' job, save my money, move out, then go back to working at this when my ears are safely away from my father's harsh words.

The only problem with #2 is I HAAATTTTEEEE working a 'real' job because I cant stand working on somebody else's business as opposed to my own. And while I can suffer the injustice for awhile I really don't want to.

I'm stuck, I don't know what I want to do. I'm leaning towards option #2 at this point, finishing up the appointments I do have (which should net me a good 2000-3000 dollars easy) and then just letting it ride until I can get back in the game.

Further complications, working at what I'm doing now can easily make me a very very rich man with alot of hard work, blood, sweat, and tears. Something working for somebody else will never do. It's really only my father I'm having a big problem with, he thinks he's helping but I really just need some space.

You just have to figure out which you "hate" worse...living in the situation you are in, or temporarily getting a "real" job to allow you the financial flexibility to move out. I find when faced with a decision like this, it helps me to write it down in a "Pros and Cons" chart...sometimes just seeing it in writing make all the difference for me.

have you tried option #3?

That would be "Talking to your father and ever so gently telling him to get of your phekking case?

telling him that at work, it's acceptable, but once home, you're off duty and you don't need to hear it 24/7...?

Just asking, because it seems it's not an option you considered in your post....

:)

Peaceful Guy
have you tried option #3?

That would be "Talking to your father and ever so gently telling him to get of your phekking case?

telling him that at work, it's acceptable, but once home, you're off duty and you don't need to hear it 24/7...?

Just asking, because it seems it's not an option you considered in your post....

:)

yeah, this is a good one! i assumed he had exhausted all options at home but really, the issue is not the job, its the home situation.. the first answer was, move out, but its not necessarily the best or even the easiest solution. unless you're moving to another planet.. or under the sea, you're relationship with you're father will still need to be addressed.. maybe, you're expecting something unrealistic from him.. if he was someone else, could you cut him a little more slack?..

Peaceful Guy

im not saying, rationalize the behavior and don't address it.. just that given some time to understand your perspective he might come around.. and you might see that even though it sucked, he wasn't trying to hurt you.. that counts for a lot ya know! :cool:;)

A job you love, great prospects and your old man to advise you with years of experience. I would go for option 1, slog my guts out, be successful and shut the old bark up that way. Would be worth it in the long run.