Thinking of quitting the corporate world

iwanttolive

Hi guys... I'm thinking of quitting the corporate world. I feel that I'm wasting my life away sitting behind my desk 9 to 6, Monday to Friday, year after year. With commuting time, dinner and household chores, I'll be left with only 2 hours of leisure time for myself everyday. And I have not mentioned the occasional overtime in the office... Half of Saturday would be spent recuperating from lack of sleep. I can't bear thinking of doing this until I retire at maybe 60 years old. I'd probably wish I'd be given a 2nd chance to live...

There is a job as a diver at a marine park at a nearby tropical island. It doesn't pay well but I imagine it to be the kind of life that I wish to live. I'm also learning piano now, hoping to become a piano teacher in about 3 years time. If I take up a less demanding job, I'd be able to put in more effort and time to my piano compared to my current job.

Problem is I don't have the gut to quit my full-time corporate job. First, I live in an Asian society where status is emphasized. Quitting my corporate job to become a diver would be frowned upon by society. Everyone would think I'm crazy quitting my job as a market analyst to goof around with nemo and dory! Second, my parents invested so much in my university degree. I feel I'd be letting them down to take up a brainless job :(.

Third, if I stay on my current job, there's a chance for me to work as a lecturer in a tertiary institution next time. Which is not too bad because you finish work around 3-4 pm, it's stable and there's a wide range of facilities like swimming pool and gym in the premise. However, to get that job, I have to first climb up the corporate ladder which is darn exhausting.

Any advice guys?

I wish I was in the corporate world and would kill for a 9-5 desk job. So out of spite I will not help you! :)

Give me your reasons why I should stay in the corporate world :)

I just envy you as I lost my job. However you should do what makes you happy, so if being a diver is it and it will pay the bills, you should do it.

Finding a job that pays well and will make you happy should be everyone's goal. The way I see it, is it worth it to work a job you hate for your whole life and have nothing to show for it? That's what you need to answer. I live in the US and the usual individualistic society, so that's where I'm coming from.

It's your decision ultimately, and I wouldn't allow society to dictate what you should do. Follow your heart.

skydiveaddict

Any advice guys?

Do what makes you happy. If you want to be a diver, and you can get the job, go for it. If you are happy in what you do, the rest will work itself out. you only get one shot in life, be happy with your one shot

• Author
iwanttolive

Hi Engadget, hope you would find a job soon :) Actually I would be contented with my stable corporate job if not for the ever-present office politics. You know, everywhere you go it's the same, it's so sickening. I'm new in my current office so I have to work closely with a certain co-worker. Because i'm new and the most junior, no one could see and appreciate my hard work. It's always my co-worker who has the direct contact with the B who has a hand in your bonus and promotion.

There's another manager between myself and the B and somehow we don't have chemistry. You know, right from day one you could sense that you would not like this person.

So maybe the diving job thing is a convulsive reaction.

Nora, i've worked for only 5 years.