Graphic Design/Advertising field...

longlegzs80

I just graduated from college in May with a BFA in Visual communications. My question is, since I am a shy person and not extremely confident in my work, how is that going to affect getting into my field? It seems like there are only a certain kind of people that have the outgoing personality and the upbeat attitude that are in that field. Just curious as far as the way I am how is my shyness and my lack of confidence going to effect my performance? Hopefully someone in the field can answer me on this one, if not that is fine.

In any field, you need to be able to communicate with others effectively. Shyness could hinder performance in this respect.

HokeyReligions

I'm shy too. I struggled for a while when I first started out, but some key things that I found to help me are:

Keep a candy dish on your desk: people will stop by to chat and appreciate it. It really does help.

Go to lunch: go out with others whenever you are asked. If no one asks for a while, YOU ask some of the people you work closely with.

Ask other people about themselves - their families, their interests, and about how they like their jobs. Ask them for their insight about the company and the people you work with -- not gossip about people, but about the company.

Offer some personal information about yourself: talk about your schooling, tell people that you are shy, talk about your family

Offer to help others when they get busy - especially when starting a new job, people will appreciate it and you will get to know how the company or department works and get to know people.

When you get really busy - don't be afraid to ask for help.

If there are breakfast clubs - join them. If there are after-work activities that you are invited to - go, even if they don't particularly interest you - use them to get to know other people and let other people know that you are a team player.

Some of this may sound trite, but they really work, and once you get to know people it gets easier.

If you are shy the only other way you can get into your field is on the merits of your work.

Last year my manager asked me to attend an interview for a web deisgner so I could give my opinions on her design skill.

She was shy, went red in the face seemed cold, distant and ultra nervous, hardly spoke.

However I saw potential in her portfolio and told my manager to hire her based on her design skills and he did.

Not only did she excel, she flourished and we even became best friends.

Good luck.