Attributes of a good boss?

Shadow's post got me thinking- what does a great boss look like to you?

Are there certain management styles that motivate you better than others?

Just curious.

Oh, I could go on and on about this...but the one thing that jumps out in my mind right now is that good bosses (and good leaders) will not expect any more from their employees than they would expect from themselves...and they make sure to set a high standard for themselves and their employees...

And humor...it's always good if they are able to laugh...

threebyfate

• Not a micromanager.
  • Excellent business savvy.
  • Intelligent.
  • Articulate, can listen and an all-around excellent communicator.
  • Leads by example.
  • Consistent but also understands that employees are different and are the Company's greatest asset or worst liability, reliant on treatment and corporate environment.
  • Compassionate at the right time but not a bleeding heart.
  • Confident and mature.

laRubiaBonita

someone who does not micromanage- but lets the employee do their job- obviously the results need to be there, but if they are, let it be.

ALSO- someone who is....

fair, a sense of humor, empathetic-- but not stupid, common sense, ethics, a sense of responsibility to represent their employees in the best possible light, is aware of work place policies and rules, good vocabulary, is up-to-date on technology, and someone who appreciates and trusts the employee and lets them know.

• Author

• Not a micromanager.
  • Intelligent.
  • Leads by example.
  • Consistent but also understands that employees are different and are the Company's greatest asset or worst liability, reliant on treatment and corporate environment.
  • Confident and mature.

I agree. I always mesh with people that are approachable. That is my number one need in a boss. I need to know I can call on them if I need them.

I think my management style needs work. I want to perfect it. I need to motivate a currently unmotivated sales team in order to increase sales.

I've moved from a visual manager position to a more prominant role in managing sales. It was easy to ensure stores follow corporate instructions regarding how a store is supposed to look according to plan-grams- but now I have to meet sales goals. It's different, and the pressure is more intense. If stores don't meet targets, it's going to reflect on me.

I know I am really approachable, I have a great sense of humour, I am a great teacher- but I want to work on bringing down the hammer when I need to.

I want to find that balance between being approachable and supportive and being a hard ass. When I owned my own business, I was the primary sales person, so I could oversee everything. Now I need to motivate others to sell while I travel between 5 stores. I won't be at every store every day- so I need to find a way to motivate people so they want to sell when I am not present.

I'm glad I am getting back into the sales end of things- I've had two days of orientation with my regional manager- today was an 11 hour day. I know this new position is going to be different than overseeing just visuals. Being a visual manager was often 9-5, I think overseeing sales and visuals is going to be 7 days a week, opening to close. It's okay, I am up to the challenge.

I just want to motivate people to sell, and I want to do it well.

I need to find that balance. I want my employees to enjoy working for me, but I want them to work hard for me.

SadandConfusedWA

Uh, micromanaging is the worst. My boss is like that and I admit it I liked it at first because I had a crush on him and it meant I got to be around him more. But now that I am over it, it's driving me crazy.

Doesn't let hers/his emotional mood swings affect how she/he treats their employees.

Is FAIR in the sense that doesn't have fevorites and doesn't let certain employees get away with more than others.

Is able to communicate issues/problems with performance early on and is not afraid to have unpleasant discussions. Also, doesn't discuss employee's performance behind employee's back with said employee's peers.

Has firm boundaries but is not pushy and agressive.

Makes an employee feel valued. Gives consistent praise when it is deserved.

Is not nosy and gossipy in the sense that doesn't ask employees personal questions about their relationship status etc.

laRubiaBonita

I want to find that balance between being approachable and supportive and being a hard ass. When I owned my own business, I was the primary sales person, so I could oversee everything. Now I need to motivate others to sell while I travel between 5 stores. I won't be at every store every day- so I need to find a way to motivate people so they want to sell when I am not present.

I'm glad I am getting back into the sales end of things- I've had two days of orientation with my regional manager- today was an 11 hour day. I know this new position is going to be different than overseeing just visuals. Being a visual manager was often 9-5, I think overseeing sales and visuals is going to be 7 days a week, opening to close. It's okay, I am up to the challenge.

I just want to motivate people to sell, and I want to do it well.

I need to find that balance. I want my employees to enjoy working for me, but I want them to work hard for me.

i think you need to cherry pick 1 or 2 people at easch store that you can trust to continue to oversee when you aren't there.... delegating responsibilities is a GREAT thing any boss can do, it gives the employee a sense that they are trusted and also it gives them a chance to prove that can handle responsibility and possibly makes them a candidate for a better position.

and what about incentives for the most sales among each stores employees? my manager did this when i worked retail- we might get a free lunch, or $20.... all paid for out of our managers pocket.

Edited by laRubiaBonita
  • Not a micromanager.
  • Intelligent.
  • Leads by example.
  • Confident and mature.

These are all great points, plus a few additional ones that I will add on:

• Pushes employees (not in a threatening way) to strive to improve at what they do

• Spends quality time talking with employees to help them find career growth opportunities

• Conversely - clearly articulates to employees who are not ready for promotions, what skills they need to work on in order to reach a promotion.

• Holds all the employees to the same stardards (core hours, workload balancing, etc) and does not allow for favoritism or nepotism

• Effectively removes low performers who (after given a number of chances) refuse to improve, and are causing morale damage on the team

• Does not hide in his office everyday with the door closed

• Engaged, informed, approachable, strategic, proactive, and motivated