Ever had a co-worker

skydiveaddict

Who could simply not do the job? I mean he's a great kid but he's scared of heights. Every time we get to the top of a wind turbine, he freezes. He cant do any thing but clutch his harness. I end up doing all the work. I don't want to report him but sooner or later it's gonna surface. what do I do?

Seems like you owe it to yourself (your own safety) and to him (his safety) to do something about it.

Does he acknowledge his lack of ability to function in that environment? Have you guys talked about it (once down and "safe"?)

• Author
skydiveaddict
Seems like you owe it to yourself (your own safety) and to him (his safety) to do something about it.

Does he acknowledge his lack of ability to function in that environment? Have you guys talked about it (once down and "safe"?)

Yes I have tried to He says "yes I know, I will do better next time". I just dont have the heart to report him, He's a good kid and hes trying. But I know you're right trimmer, I have to to do something

Edited by skydiveaddict

Was the job supposed to be a training position, or was the person supposed to have experience "at altitude?"

In other words, did he misrepresent his experience, and is now unable to deliver as promised?

Are there any "certifications" or required training or anything like that to be doing this? Perhaps related to insurance?

Anyway, even beyond the basic comptency issues, I still just can't help focusing on the safety aspect. It's a double-whammy: he's more likely (than someone with the expected experience and competence) to become a victim who will need help of some kind, and second, if you end up in a position where you need help, he is less likely to be capable of delivering it.

Is he new? Why not think of ways to help him get over his fear. It seems he really is interested and that is rare these days.

Totally agree with Trimmer's comments plus if your company (or you even) are aware that he may not be competent and still let him work like this then that opens up possibilities of negligence if something goes wrong. It's one thing dealing with this when the only risk is financial, but this case is far more serious.

• Author
skydiveaddict
Was the job supposed to be a training position, or was the person supposed to have experience "at altitude?"

In other words, did he misrepresent his experience, and is now unable to deliver as promised?

Are there any "certifications" or required training or anything like that to be doing this? Perhaps related to insurance?

Anyway, even beyond the basic comptency issues, I still just can't help focusing on the safety aspect. It's a double-whammy: he's more likely (than someone with the expected experience and competence) to become a victim who will need help of some kind, and second, if you end up in a position where you need help, he is less likely to be capable of delivering it.

Good point trimmer . he is in training. We all go through safety and training instruction, he must have passed. It's just that he freaks out when were up top. You have a great point. I dont know how he would handle an emergency.

• Author
skydiveaddict
Is he new? Why not think of ways to help him get over his fear. It seems he really is interested and that is rare these days.

Yes he is new Sarah. And he really is interested in his job, plus he's a good kid. I just dont know how to help him with his fear of heights

• Author
skydiveaddict
Totally agree with Trimmer's comments plus if your company (or you even) are aware that he may not be competent and still let him work like this then that opens up possibilities of negligence if something goes wrong. It's one thing dealing with this when the only risk is financial, but this case is far more serious.

That's true. I never really thought of it that way. I wish I knew how to handle this

Who could simply not do the job? I mean he's a great kid but he's scared of heights. Every time we get to the top of a wind turbine, he freezes. He cant do any thing but clutch his harness. I end up doing all the work. I don't want to report him but sooner or later it's gonna surface. what do I do?

what are you doing on top of a wind turbine??

• Author
skydiveaddict
what are you doing on top of a wind turbine??

working.........................

working.........................

then you definitely should tell your supervisor. this dude may not be able to cut the mustard. the sooner the better. and with the job market the way it is you should be able to replace him pretty quick

• Author
skydiveaddict
then you definitely should tell your supervisor. this dude may not be able to cut the mustard. the sooner the better. and with the job market the way it is you should be able to replace him pretty quick

I know you're right Alpha. I just want to help this kid. If he could ony learn to manage his fear of heights, he would be fine.

I know you're right Alpha. I just want to help this kid. If he could ony learn to manage his fear of heights, he would be fine.

dude, people with fear of heights shouldn't be doing those kinds of jobs. you can do it and thats why you make the big bucks...

• Author
skydiveaddict
He could try some meditation or other techniques for fear of heights through a counselor or something.

I could suggest that too Sarah. I'm really to just sit on my can and tell him "look Jonathan, I'm not going to help you today. You've gotta do this on your own".

• Author
skydiveaddict
dude, people with fear of heights shouldn't be doing those kinds of jobs. you can do it and thats why you make the big bucks...

Perhaps you're right. I just like to see people succeed

Perhaps you're right. I just like to see people succeed

you either have it or you don't, otherwise we would all be airline pilots or brain surgeons...

• Author
skydiveaddict
you either have it or you don't, otherwise we would all be airline pilots or brain surgeons...

true I guess I cant argue w/that

• Author
skydiveaddict

uhghh! 20 min after midnite Easter weekend and I get called to work Happy Easter everyone!