Best way to leave position?

browneyedvixen

To make a very long story short, I have been at my job for about 10 months. During which I have put up with degrading comments, blatant unfair treatment, and an unstable working environment. I have remained this long because 1) I am a graduate student and the position pays my tuition and 2) it is my only source of income. Recently, I had to "interview" to reinstate my position for the summer and upcoming year. During this interview, I was subjected to the same treatment I have been receiving and it is evident that my boss is trying to get me to beg for my job.

The problem is I don't really want to continue employment yet, I don't have anything lined up. But I am virtually at the end of my rope with this situation and jumping through hoops. I think I am prepared to cease my employment after this summer, however, now my boss wants me to attend second interviews and complete documents indicating how much I want to keep the position. I have been participating thus far and not indicating my desire to leave so that the rest of my time is not complete madness but it is getting out of hand.

What should I do?

I'm not sure I completely understand the situation, but I would lie to their faces and say it's wonderful and you love it, but find something new and move on.

I wouldn't burn any bridges, as much as you hate your boss you may run into other co-workers in the furture, or you may want to return to your job if your boss leaves.

threebyfate

In the current economy, continue pressing for the job. As well, don't let it stop you from looking for other employers. If you're lucky, you'll find another job and be able to graciously turn down anything your current employer offers. Try not to burn bridges, particularly since you don't have a long list of employment references to fall back on.

I am confused as well. Is the position contractual based that it would be up for review? What is your boss making you do and what unfair actions have you had to tolerate?

In a general sense, I would find out if what is going on current, re your position, is standard for the company or something specific with your department or boss. I would then to go higher ups if there is a discrepancy.

If this is standard and not to your liking I would continue with the process and at the same time scouting out a new position. Are you having to sign an employment contract that would, in some way, legally obligate you to this company?