i have been working at a great job for the past 6 months. i knew it would be even greater if i got a promotion, so i started harmlessly flirting with my boss to try to influence him, but that flirting turned into having regular sex with him at least 3 times a week. this has been going on for about 2 months and I still haven't gotten my promotion, but there are rumors around the office that the next promotion is coming up soon and it will be someone in my dept. so i just kind of casually mentioned it after a round of sex with my boss and he said that i shouldn't worry about that, that i have been a "very resourceful" employee and i am indispensible to the company and blah blah blah. well if i get this promotion, i will be where i want to be career wise and i would like to stop sleeping with him and just keep it casual. what is the best way to break it off with out letting him know that i was only sleeping with him to get my promotion?

Well, I think your boss would have to be an idiot not to realise that you are only sleeping with him for the promotion. In any case, it's not like once you get the promotion he can fire/demote you if you discontinue your relationship. Remember, he stands to lose a great deal more than you should the affair come out in the open. Courts notoriously look favourably upon the person in the submissive position ('scuse the pun). Just end it cleanly, maybe pretend your involved with someone else, but maintain a friendly relationship. No use both of you losing your jobs.

Sleeping with the boss three times a week for two months...and then NOT get a promotion??? Life is a real bitch sometimes!!!

Well, if you don't get the promotion, tell your boss you'll report him to the National Labor Relations Board. Let him know it is a violation of Federal law not to give a promotion to an employee a supervisor has been screwing for more than 30 days.