Update on new job

Lauriebell82

Hey everyone, this is a spinoff from my other thread "18 interviews later."

Most of you know I got a job finally. I started last week and it's not what I thought. It's basically the polar opposite of what I was doing at my last job. I don't know if I like it. I'm still in training and all the paperwork I am going to have to do is very overwhelming. I also don't like the nature of the job and what I will have to do.

Fiance says I should give it a chance, that it's just because it's new and I don't really know what I'm doing. Anyone experience this before? I'm hesistant to start looking for another job as I was really lucky that this place gave me a chance! Plus I have a huge gap in my resume and if I say I want to leave my current job after only a few weeks it will look bad!

How is it so different? Didn't you have an understanding from the interview about what you'd be doing?? :confused:

Also, you weren't doing very well at your last job, hence why you were let go. So perhaps you might do very well with the "polar opposite"?

Stick with it for a while- get some more experience under your belt- then if things don't turn around, start putting out the feelers again.

I applied to a new job on a whim last week and I had an interview today. I've had about 6 months at my current job, and as much as I love some aspects of it, the politics bug me, so I have been doing some networking and have sent a couple resumes out in the past couple weeks.

I felt so guilty calling in sick to go to this interview, but ultimately, we all have to do what is best for us.

I think you have to give it some more time if you can do so.

Oh, and definitely stick with it... for a while. Like, at least a year.

Look at it this way: It may not be exactly what you want to do, but between this job and the last job, you'll have a wide range of experience in your field, and will thus be even more qualified for the type of work you really want to do.

Give it time. In January, they gave me a new role at my current company. I was pissed as hell because I liked what I was doing and I was damned good at it. And I wasn't at all interested in this new job. But, a couple of months later, and I'm finding that there are a lot of things I really like about it, and it's actually starting to be fun.

It can be overwhelming at first until you learn what you need to learn, but you might end up surprising yourself and enjoy it. In any case, you are in NO position to walk away from a job at this point. You need some stability on your resume, and you need a good reference or you will find yourself right back where you were 18 interviews ago.

A wise person once told me, "You can do almost ANYTHING for a year. After that, re-evaluate."

TwinkletOes26

Lb give it time you may come to like the job. Maybe the paper work wont be so bad once you get the hang of it. Chin up girly I know you can do it :)

i know what you mean. i was kind of mis-sold my current job.

i suppose it was the same as a person bigging themselves up on a CV, only it was the other way around, with my employers selling the position to me, a lot of the things i was told ended up not being entirely true.

I had always been in a different industry, and now, even 18 months on, i'm still very unsure about it.

I havent left yet because there isnt much else about.

i'd stick with it a bit longer, but keep looking around and see if anything else pops up :)

• Author
Lauriebell82
How is it so different? Didn't you have an understanding from the interview about what you'd be doing?? :confused:

Also, you weren't doing very well at your last job, hence why you were let go. So perhaps you might do very well with the "polar opposite"?

My ability to do my job was not the reason I was let go..

I think I will be good at this job also, that's really not the issue. It's a mental health job as opposed to addictions which is what I was doing and really loved it. So I just kind of miss it.

I should stick it out though so I can build some stability on my resume.

Fiance says I should give it a chance, that it's just because it's new and I don't really know what I'm doing. Anyone experience this before?

I agree 100% with your fiancee.

My wife had a similar situation with a new job a few months ago. She went into it thinking it was perfect and exactly what she needed. About two weeks into it, she just "knew" she made a mistake. It was more paperwork than she thought and the paperwork was tougher than she thought and the job took more time than she thought and her boss wasn't as nice ash she thought and on and on it went.

Point was...she had different expectations than were reality. I told her to be patient and give it time. Learn the job and wait until she knew the paperwork.

It has been six months and her "tune" is different. Now her job is what she wants and it is good for her. Yes, it can get stressful but not nearly as much as at first. The boss? Not perfect, but certainly a better one than expected at first. And that paperwork? Well, it isn't that hard after all. It takes her less than half of the time that it did before. After this many years with her, I knew that this would be the outcome. :D

LB, time will tell, but my guess is that when you know the worka nd feel comfortable with the job, then you will have a different story. However if after a year and then the job just makes your life miserable, maybe you have a reason to look.

For now....I suggest patience.

In general, unless the job is an absolute nightmare, I think you should stick with it for at least six months and preferably a year, unless you find an opportunity that you can't pass up. But you can't just keep going from one job to the next. It doesn't look good, and more than that, it doesn't really give you a chance to develop your skills and find out how to surmount challenges in different working environments. I'm not directing this at you, but people quit jobs too easily these days.

My ability to do my job was not the reason I was let go..

I think I will be good at this job also, that's really not the issue. It's a mental health job as opposed to addictions which is what I was doing and really loved it. So I just kind of miss it.

I should stick it out though so I can build some stability on my resume.

LB stick with it. It sounds like it covers a broader field than your last job and will give you better experience to later specialize from.

Don't make such important decisions on a whim or a temporary feeling - it will not lead to a good outcome in life.

Stay with it and find things to like - I'm sure they are there :)

every job i ever had i made sure i was there for atleast a year before re-evaluating what i wanted to do next.

Hey LB, you wouldn't really know until 4 or 6 months in because it takes awhile to settle in and know your way around. But if you still feel the same then start bailing...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Lauriebell82

So I haven't had any clients in the past 3 weeks. I have made about $100 in training (before tax). To make matters worse, I just found out I exausted my unemployment! :eek:

I'm trying to get ahold of my supervisor but she is very very bad about returning phone calls. I will need to look for a salaried full time job now I guess. The way this job pays is that you get paid when you see clients and do paperwork. But if the client doesn't show up you don't get paid!!! So I have been scheduled with 3 clients in the past 3 weeks and all of them have cancelled. And I can't do anything about it because I need my supervisor to help me open the case..it has to go on her time.

I don't know what to do..look for another job I guess? Ugh.

LB, yes, keep looking for other jobs (it sounds like you do get a bit of free time anyway). But also, keep working at improving your working conditions at this current job. (I have to admit though that expecting people to get paid on a per-client basis in the field of mental health makes for incredibly unstable working conditions).

But the point I think we're all trying to make is that yes, there is a learning curve to every job and yes, we've all had to do our time in crappy jobs, or jobs that weren't exactly what we expected. But doing a great job at a crappy job will open up opportunities for you. People will notice. Building a resume takes time. Very few of us land on our dream job the first time out.

If anything, you will know which questions to ask at your next interview, so that you get a better feel for the place.

That's a bizarre work arrangement they've set up for you, particularly given your field. I'm assuming you're an independent contractor? Can you solicit clients on your own too? And use whatever clinic/office you're supposed to be working out of now?

Keep looking for other jobs, but keep working at this one as well. ("Working" being a relative term.) It could be that once you finally do start getting clients, it'll snowball and you'll just get more and more and more. I have lulls in my work too, and I have learned to appreciate them... because when one client's case heats up, it seems like they all do at the same time!

As K said, even a crappy job can do great things and open many doors for you. You just have to focus on it and doing a great job, despite the conditions. Rome wasn't built in a day, and most of us don't just fall into the perfect gig either. It takes a lot of time.

Also, look on the bright side: at least you have something on your resume that shows you're currently employed within your field! :):bunny:

LB : When you say you have exhausted your benefits ( unemployment ) do you mean your benefit year is up and you need to file a new claim ?

Or do you mean you benefit amount is zero in your account ?

Because you have had no income for 3 weeks you QUALIFY for UC again. You have emergency tiers now , extended benefits also. ( All of this depends on what state you reside in. The higher the state UR is the more emergency tiers you have )

Even if you are employed if you don't earn lets say $ 400 a week and instead only earn $ 100 , you are entitled to file a claim for the difference.

What did UC say to you ?

• Author
Lauriebell82
LB : When you say you have exhausted your benefits ( unemployment ) do you mean your benefit year is up and you need to file a new claim ?

Or do you mean you benefit amount is zero in your account ?

Because you have had no income for 3 weeks you QUALIFY for UC again. You have emergency tiers now , extended benefits also. ( All of this depends on what state you reside in. The higher the state UR is the more emergency tiers you have )

Even if you are employed if you don't earn lets say $ 400 a week and instead only earn $ 100 , you are entitled to file a claim for the difference.

What did UC say to you ?

My benefit amount is zero...I've only been on it for 6 months however I didn't work at my job for a long time (15 months) so maybe that's why. The letter said that I couldn't refile until 8/28/10, a year after I filed originally. And I can only do that if I am still unemployed.

This job is very unstable, howeve rI knew I was still getting unemployment (I didn't find out I ran out until after I started the job) so starting out at part time wasn't really a problem. They told me I would start out slow (like 10-15 hours per week) but I'm not even getting ANY hours now! It's horrible. I think most people who work at this job and get paid per diem have other full time jobs..which I can see why now.

I guess I will continue to apply but try and work something out with my supervisor. The problem right now is that I have to go on my supervisor's schedule because she has to go with me to my first cases and teach me how to do the paperwork. So the rescheduling of clients is falling on her because she has to come..so unfortunately it is out of my control. :(

Fiance says I should give it a chance, that it's just because it's new and I don't really know what I'm doing. Anyone experience this before? I'm hesistant to start looking for another job as I was really lucky that this place gave me a chance! Plus I have a huge gap in my resume and if I say I want to leave my current job after only a few weeks it will look bad!

yea give it a year or so but keep looking for other positions in the meantime...in this economy consider yourself lucky to just have a job

Sometimes * jobs * that become available are not the greatest . In this case I refer to the income you are receiving from it.

True you have a job but no-one could survive on it financially so please don't feel bad if you have to find a better paying one.

You can't pay the bills with air :)

• Author
Lauriebell82
Sometimes * jobs * that become available are not the greatest . In this case I refer to the income you are receiving from it.

True you have a job but no-one could survive on it financially so please don't feel bad if you have to find a better paying one.

You can't pay the bills with air :)

Yeah, well it took me 6 months just to find THIS. Who knows how long it will take to find another one!!! :( I'm so upset, I don't know what to do. My supervisor is so annoying, she is never in the office and doesn't return phone calls. She is very nice but soooooooo unreliable.

The problem right now is that I have to go on my supervisor's schedule because she has to go with me to my first cases and teach me how to do the paperwork. So the rescheduling of clients is falling on her because she has to come..so unfortunately it is out of my control. :(

Can you offer to assist her in getting clients scheduled?

"I know you're so busy, if you let me know what days and times you're available, I can take care of getting the clients scheduled for a time that's convenient for you."

This may help get your first/training clients in the door, and I'm sure she'll appreciate the initiative. :)

• Author
Lauriebell82
Can you offer to assist her in getting clients scheduled?

"I know you're so busy, if you let me know what days and times you're available, I can take care of getting the clients scheduled for a time that's convenient for you."

This may help get your first/training clients in the door, and I'm sure she'll appreciate the initiative. :)

Hmm, I don't know if I can do that. I could try! I actually got a call from a place that I interviewed for a few months ago and they kept my resume on file and want me to come in for an interview. Should I tell them I currently have a job but am not making money?

Tell them you currently have a job (and lie and say you like it - or pick one or two things that you enjoy about your job) but are interested in their insitution for xyz reason (specific to their firm) which would further your career goals. This makes you look interested in them and like a self-motivated employee.

Never ever mention personal details such as not enough money or not liking a job (employers typically look for optimistic employees). The fact that you have a job means that if they offer you the job, they will likely offer a decent salary. Don't foil your hand by mentioning you aren't making enough money.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Tell them you currently have a job (and lie and say you like it - or pick one or two things that you enjoy about your job) but are interested in their insitution for xyz reason (specific to their firm) which would further your career goals. This makes you look interested in them and like a self-motivated employee.

Well, I would kind of like some kind of justification for leaving a job after a month. I was thinking I could say that it's just part time and I'm intested in full time because I enjoying working and staying busy. That makes me seem motivated also. Then I open myself up for the "well why did you except a part time job then?" question.

I could say that I want to get into addictions counseling again (thats what this job is, an addictions counselor) and feel that is want I want to do with my career.