LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Update on new job

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 24th March 2010, 3:44 PM   #61
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
I have to giggle somewhat, over the usage of the word "job". It can get so confusing, considering:
  1. There's a job(s) she's applied for, which requires a master's degree but there doesn't appear to be any follow up interviews or confirmation on, as of yet. (MA job)
  2. A job that she didn't apply for, that she's overqualified for, but the prospective employer is showing some serious intent. The prospective employer got her resume from her application to the master's degree job(s). (BA job)
  3. The current job that she has, which is generating no income stream, since it's reliant on cases, that she's not being allocated by her immediate supervisor or the clients been no-shows. (current job)
Lb, is the above right, or have I confused some jobs or information?
You are correct unfortunately!
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 3:54 PM   #62
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
I hope you're telling your potential employers during the interview process of your wedding plans, because if you spring it on them they'll likely be very unhappy.
As an employer, I would only want to know of these details after I hired someone. Taking time off for a wedding is not a reason to not hire someone and knowing it ahead of time would put me in a quandary if it could be shown that this was the only reason for not hiring someone.

It has been quite common that a newly hired individual has "loose ends" to tie up when first hired. And getting married or having a trip planned for a length of time have never been disallowed by me. Many employers recognize that new hires may have some "situations" and compromises are usually reachable.
Old 24th March 2010, 4:04 PM   #63
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
The client (she is 16) lives in a very chaotic household where there is alcoholism.
FIRSTLY- DO NOT WRITE THIS STUFF HERE!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
I have to giggle somewhat, over the usage of the word "job". It can get so confusing, considering:
  1. There's a job(s) she's applied for, which requires a master's degree but there doesn't appear to be any follow up interviews or confirmation on, as of yet. (MA job)
  2. A job that she didn't apply for, that she's overqualified for, but the prospective employer is showing some serious intent. The prospective employer got her resume from her application to the master's degree job(s). (BA job)
  3. The current job that she has, which is generating no income stream, since it's reliant on cases, that she's not being allocated by her immediate supervisor or the clients been no-shows. (current job)
Lb, is the above right, or have I confused some jobs or information?
and TBF- prospect #2, she interviewed for that position
Old 24th March 2010, 4:06 PM   #64
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laRubiaBonita View Post
FIRSTLY- DO NOT WRITE THIS STUFF HERE!!!!!!!!!
(People are so paranoid )
Old 24th March 2010, 4:20 PM   #65
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
(People are so paranoid )
i am just saying.... she had issues about being online at the last job, and these cases involve juveniles.
laRubiaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 6:06 PM   #66
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laRubiaBonita View Post
i am just saying.... she had issues about being online at the last job, and these cases involve juveniles.
You do not violate any confidentiality laws unless you use the client's name.

But you made a good point. I don't plan on speaking about all my cases on LS. It was just an example.
Old 24th March 2010, 6:09 PM   #67

Quote:
You do not violate any confidentiality laws unless you use the client's name.

But you made a good point. I don't plan on speaking about all my cases on LS. It was just an example.
Outside of just general "I'm applying for X job," I'd strongly recommend you refrain from discussing ANY of your clients or cases on LS.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 9:28 PM   #68
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Quote:

If the job I had now was salaried and steady money then I would stay at it even though it's not exactly what I want to do.
I am career-driven so I have a hard time understanding the above statement. I have loved most of my jobs and am usually considered a productive employee. Therefore, I consider that if I am not happy somewhere, I am perfectly allowed to look for jobs else where. Or even if I am happy somewhere, I do keep my ears open for other interesting opportunities that will help me grow in my field. In other words, I think we call it a job market for a reason: (good) employers want the best employees and employees want the best jobs. I've done the grunt work, I've held the ****ty, poor hours jobs and am now somewhat established in my field. As a result, I am now at a point where I can "choose" where I apply and at a point where I can honestly say that any employer I send an application to would be as lucky to have me as I would be lucky to be granted an opportunity to work for them. But I started out with a foot in the door, in my field, not with my dream job landing on my lap.

And the fact that the job market is a competitive market is what ensures that as I move along in my career, the job opportunities keep getting better. Granted, I work in a reknown competitive field, where "upgrading" is fully accepted - but I don't understand why anyone would commit to "doing time" in jobs they hardly like (wether it's well paid or not) when they know there are better fitted jobs for them out there. By the same token, I don't understand why someone would refuse a job in the hopes of something better. Take the job and when something better comes along, apply for it and take that job! No?
Old 25th March 2010, 7:17 PM   #69
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
I am career-driven so I have a hard time understanding the above statement. I have loved most of my jobs and am usually considered a productive employee. Therefore, I consider that if I am not happy somewhere, I am perfectly allowed to look for jobs else where.
I would be inclined to agree, however I don't have much post Masters work experience and now have a 6 month gap in my resume. So I don't want to turn into a job hopper.

Update for everyone:
My coworker told me that the job I interviewed for on Tuesday is now checking my references. I took a drug test while I was there so I'm guessing that I will get an offer!
Old 25th March 2010, 7:34 PM   #70
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
I would be inclined to agree, however I don't have much post Masters work experience and now have a 6 month gap in my resume. So I don't want to turn into a job hopper.

Update for everyone:
My coworker told me that the job I interviewed for on Tuesday is now checking my references. I took a drug test while I was there so I'm guessing that I will get an offer!
sounds promising!

Bear with me guys, but I'm really stomped by this whole job-hopping thing. I never even knew it was an issue!

Is job-hopping really a problem if the company one applies for offers them the job? I mean... If they were worried that an applicant was a job-hopper, then the employers simply wouldn't hire them now would they? The applicant therefore stays in his current job and gains "loyalty" points. So, where's the problem?
Kamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 7:40 PM   #71
Established Member

Quote:
sounds promising!

Bear with me guys, but I'm really stomped by this whole job-hopping thing. I never even knew it was an issue!

Is job-hopping really a problem if the company one applies for offers them the job? I mean... If they were worried that an applicant was a job-hopper, then the employers simply wouldn't hire them now would they? The applicant therefore stays in his current job and gains "loyalty" points. So, where's the problem?
Well, it's more that I'm worried about when I go to get a better job and have all these short term jobs on my resume..that doesn't look too good. I don't plan on being a counselor forever, I eventually want to get a better job and I don't want work history to be a red flag.
Old 29th March 2010, 2:16 PM   #72
Established Member

Update: I haven't heard anything about any of the jobs yet.

My coworker got called but none of my other references did (other 2). Are companies usually required to check all references before making an offer? (if they want to hire you that is!) The company I work for now went out of their way to check all 3 of my references. When they couldn't get ahold of one they asked me if I had another person in mind that they could call! Did this company only check one and decide to stop and discard me as a potential employee? I'm worried now...

I'm so anxious to get another job, I worked 2 hours last week. It's pathetic. I don't know what to do right now!

Last edited by Lauriebell82; 29th March 2010 at 2:18 PM..
Old 29th March 2010, 4:36 PM   #73
Established Member

Wink

Quote:
Update: I haven't heard anything about any of the jobs yet.

My coworker got called but none of my other references did (other 2). Are companies usually required to check all references before making an offer? (if they want to hire you that is!) The company I work for now went out of their way to check all 3 of my references. When they couldn't get ahold of one they asked me if I had another person in mind that they could call! Did this company only check one and decide to stop and discard me as a potential employee? I'm worried now...

I'm so anxious to get another job, I worked 2 hours last week. It's pathetic. I don't know what to do right now!
I would not worry that they only called one and stopped. Unless that person said something awful which I am pretty sure he/she did not. I would take it as less worrisome that they like you right off and just wanted to make sure at least one of your ref's match.

I could be wrong and someone here can correct me. I just tend to think positively like the glass is half full

I don't know alot of women who sit around saying " God I hate men. I would love to rub their testicles in honey and feed them to the ants. " mary3
Mary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 10:24 PM   #74
Established Member

Quote:

Yes it is! I scan resumes for this kind of behavior, and if I find that the person has worked for less then a year at their last 2-3 jobs, this is a big red flag for me. It doesn't mean I won't potentially phone screen them (and you can bet I'll be asking why) but what it boils down to ultimately is that I need to hire people who are going to see a project through: not just jump everytime it gets hard or they see a new piece of candy on the horizon.
Blackfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 9:36 AM   #75
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfrost View Post
Yes it is! I scan resumes for this kind of behavior, and if I find that the person has worked for less then a year at their last 2-3 jobs, this is a big red flag for me. It doesn't mean I won't potentially phone screen them (and you can bet I'll be asking why) but what it boils down to ultimately is that I need to hire people who are going to see a project through: not just jump everytime it gets hard or they see a new piece of candy on the horizon.
Yeah, at my old job a girl started who said she had 5 jobs in the last 4 years. Low and behold she quit after 6 months!

My resume is a little nuts, it looks like I have had a bunch of short term jobs but it was internships and part time job while in college...it's not that hard to explain. I have found though that in social services they do not scrutinize as much for having tons of jobs in a short period of time. The turnover rate for social service jobs is HUGE so it's not uncommon to quit a job after a year 1/2 to move onto something better.

The only reason I am leaving my job is because I am not making any money. I worked 2 hours in the past two weeks!!!!! And of course my client cancelled her 2 1/2 hour appointment yesterday. I don't want to be one of those short term job hoppers either!