LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Update on new job

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2010, 1:19 PM   #46
Established Member

LB got a job where she doesn't earn. In fact, she spends time and money getting there.

Reminds me of a "job" I took back home once. After looking for months, a golden opportunity opened up and I got hired.

But it was to sell English courses to pedestrians on the street on commission and the only thing I gained was that I perspired my Mom's jacket and had to take it to the cleaners.

But LB, you may eventually get patients once you schedule some appts with the supervisor since therapists are so popular now.
Old 24th March 2010, 1:19 PM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
LB.. In this case you simply don't go to the wedding....
I already agreed to it..I'm the maid of honor. This was before I was even offered the job I had now. No way would I back out. I'd rather take an unpaid day. She just moved here from another country and has nobody else.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with pursuing your dreams but you have to live and pay bills too and even if your did wait till you got your dream job you also may not be happy in that either as you don't know who or what you will be working for in your dream job.
Yeah, the point though is that I'm NOT making any money. So the job is pretty much pointless to have. That's the only reason I am looking for a new one. If the job I had now was salaried and steady money then I would stay at it even though it's not exactly what I want to do. I'm not disputing what you are saying, I mean I know that I should be lucky to have a job but I want one that actually pays!
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 1:23 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post

LB got a job where she doesn't earn. In fact, she spends time and money getting there.

Reminds me of a "job" I took back home once. After looking for months, a golden opportunity opened up and I got hired.

But it was to sell English courses to pedestrians on the street on commission and the only thing I gained was that I perspired my Mom's jacket and had to take it to the cleaners.

But LB, you may eventually get patients once you schedule some appts with the supervisor since therapists are so popular now.
Well I have been scheduled with a few clients, however they have all cancelled. So I get no money.

I have a client today, however her mom cancelled the appointment last week 45 minutes beforehand (I was about to leave to go there). So I'm not holding my breath that she won't cancel this week. The client (she is 16) lives in a very chaotic household where there is alcoholism. So I'm not confident that I will actually see her today. And if I don't, it will cost me $120.
Old 24th March 2010, 1:27 PM   #49
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
I have a client today...
lives in a very chaotic household where there is alcoholism
Good luck!

Hope you see her and if not her it'll be someone else.

Just be a little patient. If the guys and girls like you you might be very popular. Especially since you are young and pretty and nice.
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 1:45 PM   #50
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
Good luck!

Hope you see her and if not her it'll be someone else.

Just be a little patient. If the guys and girls like you you might be very popular. Especially since you are young and pretty and nice.
Thanks! Fiance said the same thing about hopefully building up a client base. It's just hard because I have worked there for a month and have not seen a single client and I don't know how to do any of the paperwork. I feel like I don't even have a job!
Old 24th March 2010, 1:48 PM   #51
Established Member

Quote:
Thanks! Fiance said the same thing about hopefully building up a client base. It's just hard because I have worked there for a month and have not seen a single client and I don't know how to do any of the paperwork. I feel like I don't even have a job!
Well, hopefully today is the day!
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 2:05 PM   #52
Established Member

Quote:
Yeah, the point though is that I'm NOT making any money. So the job is pretty much pointless to have.
I missed that important part somewhere on this thread..

Well then.. that does change things..
I was thinking it was a job that brought a positive income stream in...
I don't blame you then for looking for a better job, as far as the wedding thing goes.. What will you do if you get a new job before then and they don't let you off ?
Old 24th March 2010, 2:08 PM   #53

Quote:

I don't blame you then for looking for a better job, as far as the wedding thing goes.. What will you do if you get a new job before then and they don't let you off ?
I think and could be wrong but the job that Lb is currently in, has no income stream. The job that might be offered to her does have income stream.
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 2:09 PM   #54
Established Member

Quote:

I'll just take unpaid leave. Most companies won't fight you on that and I mean it's our wedding and honeymoon, I think they would have to be major a-holes to not understand that.
Old 24th March 2010, 2:27 PM   #55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
I think and could be wrong but the job that Lb is currently in, has no income stream. The job that might be offered to her does have income stream.
And while I do caution taking a job that isn't quite perfect, I also think that being practical is necessary.

It is a hard decision to make.

Personally, if you were my wife, then I would probably suggest that you take this job UNLESS you have a 75% certainty that the other job will be yours. Otherwise, you will have no job.
Old 24th March 2010, 2:57 PM   #56

Quote:
I'll just take unpaid leave. Most companies won't fight you on that and I mean it's our wedding and honeymoon....
I can't tell you how naive this statement is, LB.

I hope you're telling your potential employers during the interview process of your wedding plans, because if you spring it on them they'll likely be very unhappy.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 3:12 PM   #57
Established Member

Quote:
I'll just take unpaid leave. Most companies won't fight you on that and I mean it's our wedding and honeymoon, I think they would have to be major a-holes to not understand that.
How can you take unpaid leave from a job you aren't technically getting paid for?

LB- did you go read your contract when you took the job?
Why is all this such a surprise to you?

And regarding the wedding, you should have let them know as soon as you accepted the job. You should have told them that you had a prior personal commitment and would they mind if you took some time off to attend.
sb129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 3:13 PM   #58
Established Member

Companies are understanding if you respect them and ASK for leave rather than assume they will have to give it to you.
sb129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 3:15 PM   #59
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb129 View Post
How can you take unpaid leave from a job you aren't technically getting paid for?

LB- did you go read your contract when you took the job?
Why is all this such a surprise to you?

And regarding the wedding, you should have let them know as soon as you accepted the job. You should have told them that you had a prior personal commitment and would they mind if you took some time off to attend.
I'm not talking about my current job. I was told that once I hit 15 hours (which hopefully I will by 6 months!) that I could get 2 weeks vacation (paid). My supervisor asked when our honeymoon and I told her it was at the end of September. She said that was fine.

I guess what I'm talking about is if I do get hired at another job since I am looking for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb129 View Post
Companies are understanding if you respect them and ASK for leave rather than assume they will have to give it to you.
Oh yeah, definately. That's what I meant by companies are usually okay with it if you ask. I would never like demand it or assume that they will give it to me without asking.

Last edited by Lauriebell82; 24th March 2010 at 3:17 PM..
Old 24th March 2010, 3:19 PM   #60

I have to giggle somewhat, over the usage of the word "job". It can get so confusing, considering:
  1. There's a job(s) she's applied for, which requires a master's degree but there doesn't appear to be any follow up interviews or confirmation on, as of yet. (MA job)
  2. A job that she didn't apply for, that she's overqualified for, but the prospective employer is showing some serious intent. The prospective employer got her resume from her application to the master's degree job(s). (BA job)
  3. The current job that she has, which is generating no income stream, since it's reliant on cases, that she's not being allocated by her immediate supervisor or the clients been no-shows. (current job)
Lb, is the above right, or have I confused some jobs or information?
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote