LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Update on new job


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 23rd March 2010, 4:25 PM   #31
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
So I went to the job interview today and it went extremely well. She was very impressed.

It's a bachelors level position and she stated in the interview that she knew I was overqualified. There are Masters level positions open (which I have applied to and she knows this), however they are in other units of this organization (it is a HUGE organization) so she doesn't have any control over them. The hours for this job are not the greatest and I really wouldn't be doing therapy, more providing support for the therapists.

I really want to hold out to see if I hear about the Masters level positions but if I do happen to get an offer for this job it would not probably be in my best interest to turn it down.

Ugh, so confused.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 4:28 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
So I went to the job interview today and it went extremely well. She was very impressed.

It's a bachelors level position and she stated in the interview that she knew I was overqualified. There are Masters level positions open (which I have applied to and she knows this), however they are in other units of this organization (it is a HUGE organization) so she doesn't have any control over them. The hours for this job are not the greatest and I really wouldn't be doing therapy, more providing support for the therapists.

I really want to hold out to see if I hear about the Masters level positions but if I do happen to get an offer for this job it would not probably be in my best interest to turn it down.

Ugh, so confused.
But then when you interview for the Masters level position, you'd have to explain why you wanted to leave your second job after such a short time... That wouldn't be good.

I'd hold out if I were you. The last thing you want to look like is a short-term job hopper.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 4:35 PM   #33
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
You mean if I accept the bachelors level job first and THEN interview for the Masters level one?

What I would have to do then would be work at the bachelors level job for a while until a Masters level one opens up. I don't think they would see that as a red flag because they probably realize I'd rather be doing a job that I'm qualified for (therapist position). But I would probably have to work at the bachelors level one for some time in order for them to see what I can do. You are right about being a short-term job hopper.

My fear is that I won't even get any interviews for the Masters level jobs I applied to and I will be stuck in a job where I'm not making any money.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 5:53 PM   #34
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,760
Journal Entries: 1
Hmmm... Now is a great time to do a follow up on the master's level applications. Who can you contact to find out if they are hiring at that level?

Also, I agree with you LB... I would be inclined to take the bachelor level job - but would try to negotiate that I could apply at a master's level job after a set amount of time at the organization (like say 6 months). I mean, the knowledge you would acquire at a bachelor's level could only benefit you at a master's level right?

Did she mention anything about pay rates? Would they still be required to pay you at a master's level since this is the education you have?
__________________
To handle yourself, use your head, To handle others, use your heart.
Kamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 6:06 PM   #35
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
Hmmm... Now is a great time to do a follow up on the master's level applications. Who can you contact to find out if they are hiring at that level?
I'm not sure. I already talked to the HR person and she forwards the resumes to the different departments that are looking. I could call the departments in charge of the two Masters level positions to check on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
Also, I agree with you LB... I would be inclined to take the bachelor level job - but would try to negotiate that I could apply at a master's level job after a set amount of time at the organization (like say 6 months). I mean, the knowledge you would acquire at a bachelor's level could only benefit you at a master's level right?
Eh, yes and no. It would give me a better idea of how the unit works, however if I were to apply for a therapist position in another unit it would be completely different. I already am familiar with doing individual/group counseling with addicted clients so this position wouldn't really teach me anything I already know. Actually I wouldn't even be doing what I did at my last job. Its just really not what I want to do long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
Did she mention anything about pay rates? Would they still be required to pay you at a master's level since this is the education you have?
Yep, the other downside is the huge pay difference. The bachelors level position pays $9,000 less then the Masters level. They can pay me at the bachelors level even though I have a Masters degree.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 6:12 PM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,237
Large organizations usually means there are opportunities for upward mobility. Do you happen to know if they post jobs internally, for staff access?
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 6:15 PM   #37
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
Large organizations usually means there are opportunities for upward mobility. Do you happen to know if they post jobs internally, for staff access?
Yes, they do. The interviewer actually told me that if therapist positions opened up within the detox unit (thats the unit I interviewed for) then I would be eligible to apply for that. So I would have a chance to get a therapist position within the organization, however I would probably have to work at the bachelors level job for some time before that would happen.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 6:22 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
Yes, they do. The interviewer actually told me that if therapist positions opened up within the detox unit (thats the unit I interviewed for) then I would be eligible to apply for that. So I would have a chance to get a therapist position within the organization, however I would probably have to work at the bachelors level job for some time before that would happen.
An old mentor of mine once said, "sometimes you have to take a step backwards, to go forwards" and I agree with him.

At one time, he used to run with the big dogs like Conrad Black, his annual earnings, through the roof. Then, he got himself into hot water, bad hot water, losing almost everything. So then, he took a job that was far, far below his capabilities and education level but with the potential to make things happen, if he wanted it to happen. And happen it did, through his perserverence, drive, flair and determination.
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 7:06 PM   #39
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,760
Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
Yes, they do. The interviewer actually told me that if therapist positions opened up within the detox unit (thats the unit I interviewed for) then I would be eligible to apply for that. So I would have a chance to get a therapist position within the organization, however I would probably have to work at the bachelors level job for some time before that would happen.
Then really this sounds like a foot in the door LB. Hope you get the job!
Kamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 10:06 AM   #40
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
Then really this sounds like a foot in the door LB. Hope you get the job!
Thanks. Fiance says I'm being too picky wanting to hold out for my "dream job" when I'm not making any money and should just be taking anything that comes along. I feel like my career is a mess right now, it's so hard!
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 11:55 AM   #41
Established Member
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In Between Two Large Bodies of Water
Posts: 8,480
On the other hand, look what happened when you grabbed a job that was not quite perfect for you.
__________________
"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 12:34 PM   #42
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
On the other hand, look what happened when you grabbed a job that was not quite perfect for you.
Yeah, I know.

The hours are literally so horrible..I was asked to be in a wedding a few months and it is out of town. I would have to take time off from work in order to even be in it and I doubt I would get vacation that soon. I would have to take unpaid days off probably and the company would not like that at all. Fiance doesn't seem to understand it at all. He says I should just take any old job that comes my way for the good of the family. But like you said, look what happened when I agreed to do that with this job.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 12:57 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
On the other hand, look what happened when you grabbed a job that was not quite perfect for you.
Part of my point...
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 1:04 PM   #44
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Yeah I hat feeling like I have to accept a job that I don't want. I guess that's the economy right now though...
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 1:11 PM   #45
Established Member
 
Art_Critic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
The hours are literally so horrible..I was asked to be in a wedding a few months and it is out of town. I would have to take time off from work in order to even be in it and I doubt I would get vacation that soon. I would have to take unpaid days off probably and the company would not like that at all.
LB.. In this case you simply don't go to the wedding...

I also agree with Alpha and SDA and think that today you are lucky to have any job to pay your bills.
If you don't want to look like a job hopper then just hold the job for a year or so.
I also agree with your fiancée about making the family a priority right now.

Nothing wrong with pursuing your dreams but you have to live and pay bills too and even if your did wait till you got your dream job you also may not be happy in that either as you don't know who or what you will be working for in your dream job.
__________________
~~ One day someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else.. ~~
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update....! Roller EastCoaster Breaks and Breaking Up 2 7th March 2008 10:47 AM
update KnowHowLoveFeels The Other Man / Woman 6 27th December 2007 9:30 AM
Update to an update..."Losing my marbles.." mrB2006 Dating 0 15th October 2005 4:58 PM
Ex Update.... ConfusedInOC Second Chances 12 25th July 2005 4:27 PM
--update-- what do i do bangdaddy Breaks and Breaking Up 1 23rd July 2005 12:39 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 4:12 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.