LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Update on new job

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 17th March 2010, 12:29 PM   #16

That's a bizarre work arrangement they've set up for you, particularly given your field. I'm assuming you're an independent contractor? Can you solicit clients on your own too? And use whatever clinic/office you're supposed to be working out of now?

Keep looking for other jobs, but keep working at this one as well. ("Working" being a relative term.) It could be that once you finally do start getting clients, it'll snowball and you'll just get more and more and more. I have lulls in my work too, and I have learned to appreciate them... because when one client's case heats up, it seems like they all do at the same time!

As K said, even a crappy job can do great things and open many doors for you. You just have to focus on it and doing a great job, despite the conditions. Rome wasn't built in a day, and most of us don't just fall into the perfect gig either. It takes a lot of time.

Also, look on the bright side: at least you have something on your resume that shows you're currently employed within your field!
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 3:11 PM   #17
Established Member

Wink Don't give up

LB : When you say you have exhausted your benefits ( unemployment ) do you mean your benefit year is up and you need to file a new claim ?

Or do you mean you benefit amount is zero in your account ?

Because you have had no income for 3 weeks you QUALIFY for UC again. You have emergency tiers now , extended benefits also. ( All of this depends on what state you reside in. The higher the state UR is the more emergency tiers you have )

Even if you are employed if you don't earn lets say $ 400 a week and instead only earn $ 100 , you are entitled to file a claim for the difference.

What did UC say to you ?

I don't know alot of women who sit around saying " God I hate men. I would love to rub their testicles in honey and feed them to the ants. " mary3
Mary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 7:37 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary3 View Post
LB : When you say you have exhausted your benefits ( unemployment ) do you mean your benefit year is up and you need to file a new claim ?

Or do you mean you benefit amount is zero in your account ?

Because you have had no income for 3 weeks you QUALIFY for UC again. You have emergency tiers now , extended benefits also. ( All of this depends on what state you reside in. The higher the state UR is the more emergency tiers you have )

Even if you are employed if you don't earn lets say $ 400 a week and instead only earn $ 100 , you are entitled to file a claim for the difference.

What did UC say to you ?
My benefit amount is zero...I've only been on it for 6 months however I didn't work at my job for a long time (15 months) so maybe that's why. The letter said that I couldn't refile until 8/28/10, a year after I filed originally. And I can only do that if I am still unemployed.

This job is very unstable, howeve rI knew I was still getting unemployment (I didn't find out I ran out until after I started the job) so starting out at part time wasn't really a problem. They told me I would start out slow (like 10-15 hours per week) but I'm not even getting ANY hours now! It's horrible. I think most people who work at this job and get paid per diem have other full time jobs..which I can see why now.

I guess I will continue to apply but try and work something out with my supervisor. The problem right now is that I have to go on my supervisor's schedule because she has to go with me to my first cases and teach me how to do the paperwork. So the rescheduling of clients is falling on her because she has to come..so unfortunately it is out of my control.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 7:52 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
Fiance says I should give it a chance, that it's just because it's new and I don't really know what I'm doing. Anyone experience this before? I'm hesistant to start looking for another job as I was really lucky that this place gave me a chance! Plus I have a huge gap in my resume and if I say I want to leave my current job after only a few weeks it will look bad!
yea give it a year or so but keep looking for other positions in the meantime...in this economy consider yourself lucky to just have a job
Old 17th March 2010, 9:03 PM   #20
Established Member

Wink

Sometimes * jobs * that become available are not the greatest . In this case I refer to the income you are receiving from it.

True you have a job but no-one could survive on it financially so please don't feel bad if you have to find a better paying one.

You can't pay the bills with air
Old 18th March 2010, 10:49 AM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary3 View Post
Sometimes * jobs * that become available are not the greatest . In this case I refer to the income you are receiving from it.

True you have a job but no-one could survive on it financially so please don't feel bad if you have to find a better paying one.

You can't pay the bills with air
Yeah, well it took me 6 months just to find THIS. Who knows how long it will take to find another one!!! I'm so upset, I don't know what to do. My supervisor is so annoying, she is never in the office and doesn't return phone calls. She is very nice but soooooooo unreliable.
Old 18th March 2010, 4:01 PM   #22

Quote:
The problem right now is that I have to go on my supervisor's schedule because she has to go with me to my first cases and teach me how to do the paperwork. So the rescheduling of clients is falling on her because she has to come..so unfortunately it is out of my control.
Can you offer to assist her in getting clients scheduled?

"I know you're so busy, if you let me know what days and times you're available, I can take care of getting the clients scheduled for a time that's convenient for you."

This may help get your first/training clients in the door, and I'm sure she'll appreciate the initiative.
Old 18th March 2010, 6:02 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
Can you offer to assist her in getting clients scheduled?

"I know you're so busy, if you let me know what days and times you're available, I can take care of getting the clients scheduled for a time that's convenient for you."

This may help get your first/training clients in the door, and I'm sure she'll appreciate the initiative.
Hmm, I don't know if I can do that. I could try! I actually got a call from a place that I interviewed for a few months ago and they kept my resume on file and want me to come in for an interview. Should I tell them I currently have a job but am not making money?
Old 18th March 2010, 6:07 PM   #24
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Tell them you currently have a job (and lie and say you like it - or pick one or two things that you enjoy about your job) but are interested in their insitution for xyz reason (specific to their firm) which would further your career goals. This makes you look interested in them and like a self-motivated employee.

Never ever mention personal details such as not enough money or not liking a job (employers typically look for optimistic employees). The fact that you have a job means that if they offer you the job, they will likely offer a decent salary. Don't foil your hand by mentioning you aren't making enough money.
Old 18th March 2010, 6:19 PM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
Tell them you currently have a job (and lie and say you like it - or pick one or two things that you enjoy about your job) but are interested in their insitution for xyz reason (specific to their firm) which would further your career goals. This makes you look interested in them and like a self-motivated employee.
Well, I would kind of like some kind of justification for leaving a job after a month. I was thinking I could say that it's just part time and I'm intested in full time because I enjoying working and staying busy. That makes me seem motivated also. Then I open myself up for the "well why did you except a part time job then?" question.

I could say that I want to get into addictions counseling again (thats what this job is, an addictions counselor) and feel that is want I want to do with my career.
Old 18th March 2010, 7:26 PM   #26
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Definitely say that you feel your strengths are in addiction counseling. Also, what do you know about this other company? Throw something in there that shows you are motivated to work for them because of what they stand for. The idea is that you want to convince them that you are the ideal fit for them, just like they are the ideal fit for you. Basically, that you knowingly applied at their organization and that they are your first choice. That is your justification for leaving your current job after one month. There doesn't need to be anything wrong with you or the current job, it's just that the other opportunity is a better fit all around.
Kamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 8:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
yea give it a year or so but keep looking for other positions in the meantime...in this economy consider yourself lucky to just have a job
agreed..............
skydiveaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 8:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Well, I would kind of like some kind of justification for leaving a job after a month.
Understandable. I'd just say, "I'm employed, but I'm not actually working. I want to actually work and counsel clients."
Old 19th March 2010, 3:50 AM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
The way this job pays is that you get paid when you see clients and do paperwork. But if the client doesn't show up you don't get paid!!! .
LB- welcome to my world. This is the way I get paid and it can be very very stressful especially at the beginning when you are establishing yourself.

I think its unfair given your limited work experience- in my job part of my contract is the practice is responsible for advertising and making sure my diary is full.

Apply for the other job and say what k and sg said- that you actually want to work and that you are keen to work full time- you took the PT job because it was the only option available to you at the time.
sb129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 6:14 PM   #30
Established Member

Wink

Quote:
Well, I would kind of like some kind of justification for leaving a job after a month. I was thinking I could say that it's just part time and I'm intested in full time because I enjoying working and staying busy. That makes me seem motivated also. Then I open myself up for the "well why did you except a part time job then?" question.

I could say that I want to get into addictions counseling again (thats what this job is, an addictions counselor) and feel that is want I want to do with my career.
I think this is a good idea LB