LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Update on new job

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 5th March 2010, 1:00 AM   #1
Established Member

Update on new job

Hey everyone, this is a spinoff from my other thread "18 interviews later."

Most of you know I got a job finally. I started last week and it's not what I thought. It's basically the polar opposite of what I was doing at my last job. I don't know if I like it. I'm still in training and all the paperwork I am going to have to do is very overwhelming. I also don't like the nature of the job and what I will have to do.

Fiance says I should give it a chance, that it's just because it's new and I don't really know what I'm doing. Anyone experience this before? I'm hesistant to start looking for another job as I was really lucky that this place gave me a chance! Plus I have a huge gap in my resume and if I say I want to leave my current job after only a few weeks it will look bad!
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 1:08 AM   #2

How is it so different? Didn't you have an understanding from the interview about what you'd be doing??

Also, you weren't doing very well at your last job, hence why you were let go. So perhaps you might do very well with the "polar opposite"?
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 1:09 AM   #3
Established Member

Stick with it for a while- get some more experience under your belt- then if things don't turn around, start putting out the feelers again.

I applied to a new job on a whim last week and I had an interview today. I've had about 6 months at my current job, and as much as I love some aspects of it, the politics bug me, so I have been doing some networking and have sent a couple resumes out in the past couple weeks.

I felt so guilty calling in sick to go to this interview, but ultimately, we all have to do what is best for us.

I think you have to give it some more time if you can do so.
Old 5th March 2010, 1:11 AM   #4

Oh, and definitely stick with it... for a while. Like, at least a year.

Look at it this way: It may not be exactly what you want to do, but between this job and the last job, you'll have a wide range of experience in your field, and will thus be even more qualified for the type of work you really want to do.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 1:19 AM   #5
Established Member

Give it time. In January, they gave me a new role at my current company. I was pissed as hell because I liked what I was doing and I was damned good at it. And I wasn't at all interested in this new job. But, a couple of months later, and I'm finding that there are a lot of things I really like about it, and it's actually starting to be fun.

It can be overwhelming at first until you learn what you need to learn, but you might end up surprising yourself and enjoy it. In any case, you are in NO position to walk away from a job at this point. You need some stability on your resume, and you need a good reference or you will find yourself right back where you were 18 interviews ago.

A wise person once told me, "You can do almost ANYTHING for a year. After that, re-evaluate."
norajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 2:35 AM   #6
Established Member

Lb give it time you may come to like the job. Maybe the paper work wont be so bad once you get the hang of it. Chin up girly I know you can do it
TwinkletOes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 3:48 AM   #7
Established Member

i know what you mean. i was kind of mis-sold my current job.
i suppose it was the same as a person bigging themselves up on a CV, only it was the other way around, with my employers selling the position to me, a lot of the things i was told ended up not being entirely true.

I had always been in a different industry, and now, even 18 months on, i'm still very unsure about it.
I havent left yet because there isnt much else about.

i'd stick with it a bit longer, but keep looking around and see if anything else pops up
Old 5th March 2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
How is it so different? Didn't you have an understanding from the interview about what you'd be doing??

Also, you weren't doing very well at your last job, hence why you were let go. So perhaps you might do very well with the "polar opposite"?
My ability to do my job was not the reason I was let go..

I think I will be good at this job also, that's really not the issue. It's a mental health job as opposed to addictions which is what I was doing and really loved it. So I just kind of miss it.

I should stick it out though so I can build some stability on my resume.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
Fiance says I should give it a chance, that it's just because it's new and I don't really know what I'm doing. Anyone experience this before?
I agree 100% with your fiancee.

My wife had a similar situation with a new job a few months ago. She went into it thinking it was perfect and exactly what she needed. About two weeks into it, she just "knew" she made a mistake. It was more paperwork than she thought and the paperwork was tougher than she thought and the job took more time than she thought and her boss wasn't as nice ash she thought and on and on it went.

Point was...she had different expectations than were reality. I told her to be patient and give it time. Learn the job and wait until she knew the paperwork.

It has been six months and her "tune" is different. Now her job is what she wants and it is good for her. Yes, it can get stressful but not nearly as much as at first. The boss? Not perfect, but certainly a better one than expected at first. And that paperwork? Well, it isn't that hard after all. It takes her less than half of the time that it did before. After this many years with her, I knew that this would be the outcome.

LB, time will tell, but my guess is that when you know the worka nd feel comfortable with the job, then you will have a different story. However if after a year and then the job just makes your life miserable, maybe you have a reason to look.

For now....I suggest patience.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Established Member

In general, unless the job is an absolute nightmare, I think you should stick with it for at least six months and preferably a year, unless you find an opportunity that you can't pass up. But you can't just keep going from one job to the next. It doesn't look good, and more than that, it doesn't really give you a chance to develop your skills and find out how to surmount challenges in different working environments. I'm not directing this at you, but people quit jobs too easily these days.
amerikajin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 9:49 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
My ability to do my job was not the reason I was let go..

I think I will be good at this job also, that's really not the issue. It's a mental health job as opposed to addictions which is what I was doing and really loved it. So I just kind of miss it.

I should stick it out though so I can build some stability on my resume.
LB stick with it. It sounds like it covers a broader field than your last job and will give you better experience to later specialize from.

Don't make such important decisions on a whim or a temporary feeling - it will not lead to a good outcome in life.

Stay with it and find things to like - I'm sure they are there
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 10:45 AM   #12

every job i ever had i made sure i was there for atleast a year before re-evaluating what i wanted to do next.
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 2:37 PM   #13
Established Member

Hey LB, you wouldn't really know until 4 or 6 months in because it takes awhile to settle in and know your way around. But if you still feel the same then start bailing...
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 11:48 AM   #14
Established Member

So I haven't had any clients in the past 3 weeks. I have made about $100 in training (before tax). To make matters worse, I just found out I exausted my unemployment!

I'm trying to get ahold of my supervisor but she is very very bad about returning phone calls. I will need to look for a salaried full time job now I guess. The way this job pays is that you get paid when you see clients and do paperwork. But if the client doesn't show up you don't get paid!!! So I have been scheduled with 3 clients in the past 3 weeks and all of them have cancelled. And I can't do anything about it because I need my supervisor to help me open the case..it has to go on her time.

I don't know what to do..look for another job I guess? Ugh.
Old 17th March 2010, 1:19 PM   #15
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
LB, yes, keep looking for other jobs (it sounds like you do get a bit of free time anyway). But also, keep working at improving your working conditions at this current job. (I have to admit though that expecting people to get paid on a per-client basis in the field of mental health makes for incredibly unstable working conditions).

But the point I think we're all trying to make is that yes, there is a learning curve to every job and yes, we've all had to do our time in crappy jobs, or jobs that weren't exactly what we expected. But doing a great job at a crappy job will open up opportunities for you. People will notice. Building a resume takes time. Very few of us land on our dream job the first time out.

If anything, you will know which questions to ask at your next interview, so that you get a better feel for the place.