I’ll share this here because I just need to vent, but my London-based business is now defunct because my business partner and “friend” essentially blew my entire investment. We have been friends since high school (over 30 years now).

Like going to Starbucks every day for a month -- where you spend $3.95 at a pop and before you know it, you’ve spent $100 -- he was steadily taking £100 every few weeks for the past eight months. It was my fault for not watching, yes, and it was only when I was doing my year-end accounting that I realized he had withdrawn just over five figures.

So, the business account now has only a few hundred dollars and I have a “friend” I can’t trust. He has made promises to repay it and thought it was only around $2k, if that makes any difference, but I am just dumbfounded and rather devastated. It could take him years to repay this and that are funds which I now rather desperately need.

I am emotionally shut down and stress eating. I’ve gained six pounds this last week alone. I had so much hope about what I was starting to work on and again, feel like I am all alone in trying to succeed. Just so tired of being alone and am wondering what I am working hard to achieve.

Unlucky in love. Unlucky in business. Can't seem to find anyone to share my life with or build relationships that are fulfilling.

Unlucky in love. Unlucky in business. Can't seem to find anyone to share my life with or build relationships that are fulfilling.

Carrie,

I can understand how you feel. God knows, I have moments when I think the same way. Fortunately, I don't let myself wallow in this type of thinking. I don't know why that is, maybe it's my character, my philosophy, but I always bounce back. And so will you. I happen to know that you are a very gutsy lady and a smart one, too.

So:

a) Stop eating now. It never solves anything. Just makes things worse.

b) You are healthy. That should be more than enough to make your day.

c) Everybody is in recession. Most people have financial problems. It's something you can deal with. You will find the solution somehow.

d) Having a relationship is not all that it is cracked up to be. Many, many people are miserable in their relationships. Besides you don't need to define yourself through someone else. Nor do you need to find purpose in life through someone else. You can extract joy and meaning from life whether alone or with another person.

e) Basciaclly, being alone is the human condition. We are all alone. Born alone, die alone.

f) Surround yourself with happy people, people who know how to laugh and relish life.

g) Count your blessings. I am sure you can think of many.

h) You are strong and will not be beaten down. Period.

Come on! You can do it. :)

Carrie I'm sorry to hear. You are temporarily down - money comes and goes and at least you found out now rather than later. The knowledge and experience nobody can take away from you.

I second Marlena's post.

Seek legal advice - were you insured ? does that "partner" own any part of the business ?

Recognize that in love and in business failure is much more common than success. Only through repeated failures do we acquire the skills necessary for success to happen. Take a short time to feel depressed then stop and get back on the horse and try again.

SadandConfusedWA

I second what marlena said. At least you are reasonably healthy (from what I know). People take their health for granted and don't even realize what they have until it's gone. Imagine being unlucky in love, business and being seriously ill. Some people go trough all that and more. Life can deal you difficult cards, but there is nothing you can do but fight on. This too shall pass.

• Author

Thank, everyone.

I *know* I will be fine; I'm a survivor (heck, I survived the Northridge quake when people around me died, not to mention surviving finding my husband leading a secret gay life).

I'm sure the "friend" will eventually repay the amount without legal means. He will sign a promissory note as soon as we agree upon the exact amount. I posted in another thread about how I have reinvented myself several times as I indicated in this thread (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t222655/), it is just getting tiring doing so and to have to start YET AGAIN.

Heading off the store - to buy vegetables and fruit...