Teacher's Pet

I hate when drama creeps up on ya...

I am in the early stages of producing a show. My co-producer has a friend who manages a local studio, and offered to give us a rehearsal space as long as we "took care of him". Not a problem.

Tonight we met up and used the space, but in my rush to get there on time (I was running late), I didn't have a chance to stop at an ATM and get cash to take care of the guy.

On my way out, I even mentioned to the guy (who I've met before) that I didn't get to an ATM, but would definately take care of him next week.

Originally, the guy didn't even want ANYTHING from us when he offered the room, but I insisted that he get SOMETHING for the use of his facility.

Now apparently, he called up my friend and complained about how we "stiffed" him....and she's now mad at me because she feels like she's in the middle of it.

I even said I'd gladly stop by tomorrow and apologize personally and make sure he was well taken care of, but she's telling me NOT to, now........

The right thing to do would be to make sure the guy is compensated for his generosity, along with an apology that I didn't have any cash on me that night, but for some reason, my friend thinks that's a bad idea?

I know I should have taken the extra time to get some cash (I was running VERY late), but I also don't see this as a need for drama, since I can easily just take care of "business" tomorrow...

Now my friend is doubting working on this whole project with me (I can do it without her, but I don't want to...she's a great asset to the project)....

It just seems like much ado about nothing...but now I'm not sure what to say or do next...any ideas?

-TP

sheesh....can I EVER catch a break?

What a bunch of drama queens. I would just go over today/tonight with the $, let him know how much you appreciate his generosity and apologize for your actions last night not reflecting your appreciation to the extent possible - the key here being that your actions now are going the extra mile to show how much you appreciate it, and didn't mean to be rude (or whatever his problem is). Wouldn't mention that your friend said anything to you about his griping.

There does seem to be an overabundance of hypersensitivity and drama going around in real life these days, I've noticed. I apparently started a little unintended Facebook drama over comments I thought were relatively benign, over a subject that itself was benign. Sorry to digress...

TP, some people are weird -- that's just a fact. The best thing in this situation is to just not get your back up and let things die down on their own. You've offered to take care of the situation, so make good on the offer. Pay up, apologize, and move on. Whether they're gracious in accepting it is a different matter - don't worry about that. Just do it and turn the page. If this person/these people are worth anything, they'll eventually calm down; if not, they won't and, well, that's just life. All of us make mistakes. Your real friends know that, and your true friends always know who you are, in spite of your errors.

• Author
Teacher's Pet

My friend did admit that the guy from the studio very much over-reacted.

She knows I'm a man of my word....

My only mistake was 1) not taking the extra 5 minutes to run to an ATM (actually, I could have even done it right after, but I didn't think it was going to be THAT much of an issue... and 2) getting her in the middle of it, since she has been friends with the guy for a long time...

I'm the "money man" in this project, and we're talking VERY little money involved (that's the beauty of what I do...minimal investment, moderate return)....so really, I should have handled it myself...

Regardless, she's asked me to just let it go...and that the guy is just being unreasonable...

Part of me wants to go back there anyway and throw him some $$ because again, he didn't have to do what he did, it was cool of him to do so....but doing this might irritate her (I've known her a long time, very little irritates her, so this is kinda weird), and I just wanted to get this project moving forward, now that it's off to a good start, despite this situation...

-TP

man with a plan