If you had to recommend a career for me...

I realize, from the feedback that I received in my other thread, that I have been limiting myself to only a few options, and not seeing more. So, I'd like to get your help if possible - I'll list down things about myself, and you list a couple (or more) jobs that you think would suit me. :)

I love arty stuff, but I'm not all that good at it. That mainly includes design (not so much pictorial, more towards websites and presentations), and writing (I prefer creative writing, but I understand there is less scope for that). I can write and design reasonably well, but I lack... creativity. The ability to think outside the box. My stories and designs always revolve around the same ol', same ol'.

I am actually pretty good at logic/mathematics/analysis/problem-solving - bagged a placing in a few national tournaments during my schooldays (considering what nation I'm from, that isn't very much to boast of, but at least it's something). However, it wears me out really fast. I get bored and tired of it after a couple hours or so. Also, I have to be in really good form to do it well - sufficient sleep, good frame of mind, no personal problems to distract me, etc. Unfortunately, more than half of the time this isn't the case, especially if I have to adhere to fixed working hours (refer below).

I enjoy teaching, being able to deliver concepts to people and explain them and watch them progress. But, I absolutely hate children - basically, anything below the age of 13, I will not have anything to do with. Also, my people-skills are poor - I'm just bad at socializing. I am decent at explaining concepts and public speaking, though - I don't get severe butterflies like some people do.

My memory is piss-poor. Like really, piss-poor. I still can't remember my bf's handphone number very well. Especially abstract stuff that can't be tied into any logical pattern/explanation. God only knows how I managed to struggle through 4 years of pharmacy school.

I struggle a lot with insomnia, and early morning starts. I also loathe fixed-hour jobs - I always feel that I can get stuff done a lot quicker and more efficiently at home, comfortable and in my own time (like after a nice snooze til 12 noon when I'm all awake, and not uncomfortable in office attire!). I have no trouble with meeting deadlines, however. On the other hand, as I am not the social variety, and don't have all that much initiative, I may not be very well cut out for freelance work, although I suppose that is something that can be improved.

Suggestions?

Edited by Elswyth
skydiveaddict

Medical transcriptionist. You can work from home, set your own hours, etc

threebyfate

From what I've experienced in the past, people skills aren't necessary to be a Prof. :laugh:

You could teach pharmacy courses to adults.

I realize, from the feedback that I received in my other thread, that I have been limiting myself to only a few options, and not seeing more. So, I'd like to get your help if possible - I'll list down things about myself, and you list a couple (or more) jobs that you think would suit me. :)

I love arty stuff, but I'm not all that good at it. That mainly includes design (not so much pictorial, more towards websites and presentations), and writing (I prefer creative writing, but I understand there is less scope for that). I can write and design reasonably well, but I lack... creativity. The ability to think outside the box. My stories and designs always revolve around the same ol', same ol'.

I am actually pretty good at logic/mathematics/analysis/problem-solving - bagged a placing in a few national tournaments during my schooldays (considering what nation I'm from, that isn't very much to boast of, but at least it's something). However, it wears me out really fast. I get bored and tired of it after a couple hours or so. Also, I have to be in really good form to do it well - sufficient sleep, good frame of mind, no personal problems to distract me, etc. Unfortunately, more than half of the time this isn't the case, especially if I have to adhere to fixed working hours (refer below).

I enjoy teaching, being able to deliver concepts to people and explain them and watch them progress. But, I absolutely hate children - basically, anything below the age of 13, I will not have anything to do with. Also, my people-skills are poor - I'm just bad at socializing. I am decent at explaining concepts and public speaking, though - I don't get severe butterflies like some people do.

My memory is piss-poor. Like really, piss-poor. I still can't remember my bf's handphone number very well. Especially abstract stuff that can't be tied into any logical pattern/explanation. God only knows how I managed to struggle through 4 years of pharmacy school.

I struggle a lot with insomnia, and early morning starts. I also loathe fixed-hour jobs - I always feel that I can get stuff done a lot quicker and more efficiently at home, comfortable and in my own time (like after a nice snooze til 12 noon when I'm all awake, and not uncomfortable in office attire!). I have no trouble with meeting deadlines, however. On the other hand, as I am not the social variety, and don't have all that much initiative, I may not be very well cut out for freelance work, although I suppose that is something that can be improved.

Suggestions?

First off all - your lack of sleep can be the cause of your bad memory. WHY can you not fall asleep properly ?

As for a career.... allow me to surprise and suggest.... IT, programming and data-base control.

I think this would fit well with your skills, no need to be around people too much - although you will have to give presentations and possibly trainings. You can work from home and make your own hours. You math and writing skills will help and once you learn one programming language - the syntax of others would seem pretty close.

You can try to specialize in med-care / hospital related IT....

What do you think ?

SadandConfusedWA

What about research? It will utilize your problem-solving, writing and public speaking skills. Also a lot can be done from home.

Only problem is that you would probably need at least a masters degree and preferably a PhD.

Are you prepared to go back to school? An Art History/Library Records degree sounds perfect for you.

Hello,

There are so many career advice you get here and also they are so nice. And its depend upon you in which field you want to go. Its depends on your choice and interest that what you want to do in in future.

I wish you good luck for your future and choose only that line in which you think you do best.

Regards,

Olivia

Corporate Team Building And Retreats

Edited by olivia751
threebyfate

Okay Elswyth, were you reading my mind? That you quoted me in that other thread at exactly the time I was thinking about this thread for you, is seriously freaky! :laugh:

Anyways, the reason I was thinking about you and this thread, was because of the Myers-Briggs thread. Have you ever taken it? If not, it might shed some light onto your career choices. Find a qualified professional to administer and interpret the test and test results.

I would seriously not recommend you take the one that is being linked for fun on LS, in that other thread. The results are really easy to manipulate. For fun I did that and managed to get whatever results I wanted to.

• Author

Yeah, maybe I should try my hand at being a psychic, instead! :p

I have absolutely no qualified professionals in my place who can administer the test, unfortunately. Counsellors here aren't exactly qualified, and psychologists are few and far in between, cause it's difficult to make a living as one here.

The online one that I took did tell me I should be a writer though - which I'd always known since I was 7, in the good ol' days when career and ambitions were untainted by considerations of income and stability. :/