New job anxiety or depression?

Hello everyone, thanks for anyone ahead of time who offers insight and i apologize now for the potential length of my thread.

Anyway, long story short, I think my new job is making me depressed. I just dont feel like myself anymore. It is funny for me to even type those words, because I am always known as the eternal optimist amongst friends but I believe it is true. I have been employed at my current job for about two months now and I haven't quite gotten comfortable yet. I am afraid I may never get comfortable. I am the kind of person that in new enviroments is reserved, quiet, and is only comfortable with a small group of people.

I feel bad because I worked so hard to get to this point. I graduated from college almost four years ago, went on tons of interviews only to get rejected. I stumbled on this job almost as an afterthought, it wasn't my ideal job in my desired field, but I applied for it anyway. I obviously got it. I spent seven years at my previous job where I was treated like a rockstar, i had clout, i had influence, I could do no wrong and now....BOOM! Its all gone, I am now the "Quiet new guy". What makes me think this might be depression is because certain feelings i never had at my old job occur all the time with this new job. For instance, at my old job at the end of a weekend, I would just shrug it off and look forward to the next day. With this new job, I get real withdrawn and depressed right around this time on Sundays, sometimes even sooner, where I don't feel like doing anything because my mind is solely dreading the upcoming Monday. Sometimes, on my way to work on a Monday, I would drive by a place that I visited the past weekend, and I would just lose it. I would get I dont know if its a panic attack, but I would just get a flash of depression. The same for when I just reflect on what I did over the weekend, I would get the same instantaneous sad feeling. It does eventually go away, so some might chalk that up as Monday blues. Sometimes, I just dread going into work too.

I feel my main problem is that I am not 100% comfortable yet with my surroundings. My previous job was in the lines of blue collar, factory work with a great group of guys like me. This job is an office job (My first ever office job), where the majority of the staff is female, there is no one I really can relate to. Even my trainer, who happens to be around my age is of no help. She is constantly moody, almost to the point where I am afraid to ask her questions. I also believe her attitude directly affects on how I feel about going into work.

You may think, "Well if your old job was so great, why'd you leave??" To be honest, it was a dead end job, no room for growth. My current job has better pay and potentially a better career path for me. I have had thoughts about quitting and returning to my old job, but I think I would hate myself in the future because I would be taking the easy way out. I think I miss the camaraderie more so than the actual job about my old place. If anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by TopCop15

Topcop, you've got to be happy in your work, it's a lot more important than how much money you earn. Also, another key to happiness is to stick to your own kind of people.

When I left education I went straight into office work and hated it. Changed my career path a few times, but still hated office work, it was making me ill. Have been a scaffolder for 20 years now and still love it. The main reason is the people, I like being around the boys.

If you are that unhappy in your work, change it. Experiment, discover what you like and what you don't like, find your niche and do what makes you happy.

whichwayisup

Mental health is more important. If you're this unhappy at your current job, go back to your other job. Or find something that will make you happier, where you'll fit in and not dread going into work. It's only going to get worse as time goes on.

Money obviously is important, but so is your mental health! Soon you'll get more headaches, feel anxious, maybe even call in sick, avoid going in at times, maybe go in late (make an excuse, dr appt etc..)

Don't look at this as the easy way out. It's not that at all. Why stay somewhere JUST for the money if you hate it?

skydiveaddict

Get a job working on wind turbines. Bluecollar to be sure, but great pay and it's a fun job

threebyfate

It takes approximately six months to get a new employee up to speed. Give yourself more than two months.

One thing I do find confusing. Why do you have a trainer if it's been two months?

• Author

For those who say to quit and go back to my old job, I would love to, but I think its easier said than done, there is no guarantee I could go back and it would be pretty embarrassing. Three by fate- I have a trainer because there are a lot of new systems to learn and the learning curve is pretty steep. As I sit here at my desk, I saw a job posting for a job that I would be more interested in with my company....how would I go about in applying for it without looking like a traitor to my current dept?

As I sit here at my desk, I saw a job posting for a job that I would be more interested in with my company....how would I go about in applying for it without looking like a traitor to my current dept?

dont worry about that. people come and go, people leave jobs and positions all the time. you dont owe the people in your department anything really.

just apply professionally through the correct channels, as the advert states.

I really understand how you feel about your job. I had the same unsettled, depressed feelings when I started mine. 2 years on, i still feel the same.

I'm not 'myself' and I get anxiety on Sunday, dreading the Monday.

I know things sometimes take time, but i also think you just 'know' when a place isnt right for you.

My previous job started very badly, and I hated it. then i got an offer in another department. I felt as you, unwilling to appear ungrateful to my department, but i knew i'd enjoy it more. once I had moved, i loved it.

I only had to leave because of redundancy :(

Dont put off applying for this other position, or any other job. the longer you stay, the more you'll feel obligated to those in your department.

Let us know how you get on! :)

threebyfate

topcop, I think your descriptive of "rock star" is telling. No matter where you move, it will take time to feel like a rock star again. Don't run away from your current position, until after six months. Not only are you not giving it a chance, you're also running away from your problems, and yes, it will look bad after two months, unless they're unhappy with your performance. Speaking of unhappy with your performance, do you get that feeling? Are they being open about where you stand?

• Author

I felt better as the day went on. I think the problem still lies in about being comfortable. If you couple Monday blues, me missing my friends, and the fact I was bored because sometimes there is nothing to do, it allowed my thoughts to run rampant. I am going to give myself more time. As far as performance, I haven't heard much of anything, good or bad, unless I ask for feedback, which they say I'm doing fine and that eventually I will be on my own so I have to keep that in mind.

Rearden Metal

Stick with it man, but if it doesn't improve in another 4-6 months you should probably consider moving on.

Also, can't you still hang with the guys from the old job, after hours?

• Author
Stick with it man, but if it doesn't improve in another 4-6 months you should probably consider moving on.

Also, can't you still hang with the guys from the old job, after hours?

Yes, but its hard because of our varying schedules. We all try to get together every other weekend. Right now, as I type, I'm bored and its tough because I'm used to being on my feet and on the go constantly. These slow periods just kill me....

• 2 months later...
  • Author

Just an update for everyone who helped me a few months back: About a week after my last post, I suffered a panic attack and ultimately quit the job. I returned to my old job a few days after and it cleansed my soul. Also, i have now been offered the job of my dreams!!! It involves travel around the world and it has been rated one of the best places to work at in the country!! I couldn't be more thrilled!! Thanks for the help from those who provided advice and insight!

PS: Before anyone says anything, yes there is the chance my anxiety comes back, but this time I know my new surroundings will comfort me, unlike that other godforsaken place. :laugh: