Withdrew recommendation

Why would someone who wrote you a glowing recommendation on a professional networking site withdraw it several months later after you left the company?

What would you do about it if anything?

Ignore it? Call them up and ask them why? Remove them from the social networking site?

The person was a former boss and always loved my work. I left the company and moved on and recently got a big promotion.

Why not just call them and ask why?

Were you working for this person at the time you quit? Or were you working for someone else at the time?

Why would someone who wrote you a glowing recommendation on a professional networking site withdraw it several months later after you left the company?

What would you do about it if anything?

Ignore it? Call them up and ask them why? Remove them from the social networking site?

The person was a former boss and always loved my work. I left the company and moved on and recently got a big promotion.

• Author
Why not just call them and ask why?

Were you working for this person at the time you quit? Or were you working for someone else at the time?

I was working for them and then gave them my notice and a couple of weeks later they wrote the recommendation for me and told me if I ever needed a reference he would be one. I didn't use him for a reference as he tends to undermine people behind their back.

So I moved on to my new job and got a promotion and posted my new position on the site and that is when I discovered he withdrew the recommendation.

I didn't use him for a reference as he tends to undermine people behind their back.

Well, there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do about that.

It was probably a blessing that he DID withdraw the recommendation. It's easy for a potential employer (or anyone else) to look up his company's phone# and call him up, just from that online recommendation. It happened to me just the other day on a recommendation I did for a former co-worker (a headhunter called me about him at my new workplace!!).

• Author
Well, there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do about that.

It was probably a blessing that he DID withdraw the recommendation. It's easy for a potential employer (or anyone else) to look up his company's phone# and call him up, just from that online recommendation. It happened to me just the other day on a recommendation I did for a former co-worker (a headhunter called me about him at my new workplace!!).

Good point. I should just delete him from my contacts as really he isn't the kind of person I want to associate with.