Turnover time from leaving Interview to getting The Call

Apparently my life is so settled that I need to find something to worry about.

I had a great interview last Friday. The interviewer seemed pretty pleased/impressed. They are looking to fill the positions "pretty quickly". Upon leaving she mentioned that I could go ahead and fill out their application packet and email it back. The packet contained your basic criminal check, format letter for references, and an application. So I filled it out over the weekend and emailed it early Monday morning. Nothing. I called Wednesday morning and left her a message that I wanted to confirm she got my email and to thank her for the interview. Nothing.

So obviously, because I like to be a pessimist, I'm thinking this thing is over. Is it too early to be giving up on this? Is it normal for someone wanting to fill a position quickly to wait over a week for "the call"?

Apparently my life is so settled that I need to find something to worry about.

I had a great interview last Friday. The interviewer seemed pretty pleased/impressed. They are looking to fill the positions "pretty quickly". Upon leaving she mentioned that I could go ahead and fill out their application packet and email it back. The packet contained your basic criminal check, format letter for references, and an application. So I filled it out over the weekend and emailed it early Monday morning. Nothing. I called Wednesday morning and left her a message that I wanted to confirm she got my email and to thank her for the interview. Nothing.

So obviously, because I like to be a pessimist, I'm thinking this thing is over. Is it too early to be giving up on this? Is it normal for someone wanting to fill a position quickly to wait over a week for "the call"?

If she asked you to fill out all the necessary background check and reference contacts, they may be verifying everything first, before getting back to you.

Even if I really wanted to hire a particular individual, I would not extend even a verbal offer, until I made sure that their background met the requirements of my company (i.e. no felonies etc).

On average at my company, it can take about a week+ to verify bg checks, references, previous salary history, etc.

Good luck! :)

I have been on 18 interviews in 6 months.

My findings:

1. It's a good sign that they did give you something to fill out after the interview..however it doesn't mean you'll get the job. I filled out tons of them.

2. Some employers don't call you back if they are no longer interested in you. You can call them constantly and leave messages..some still won't call you back. It depends on the company.

3. Background checks can take a few weeks sometimes to come back. They can't make you an offer usually until those come through.

4. Some employers are just slow to get back to you. They are busy or have other people to interview and run checks on. Saying that they want to hire someone "as quickly as possible" doesn't mean jack. The time it takes to hire someone varies from agency to agency. There are a lot of variables involved.

I recently got hired and STILL haven't started. I got the job last week and they have yet to schedule me to start. It has been over a month since I orginally interviewed for them. The moral of the story is that some employers just take forever to hire. Some get you in there real quick, some don't.

My only advice is be patient. You made the follow up phone call, all you can do now is wait. If they want you they will call. But believe me, I know how frustrating playing the waiting game is.

Good luck!!!!!

In my experience, the turnaround time has been anywhere from instantly to 2 weeks. Most, however, and the 3 major jobs I've had, have been same day or even right at the conclusion of the interview. So in my experience, if an employer doesn't get back to me the same day with an answer, I consider myself still on the market and I keep on job hunting. I just figure they know right away whether or not they like you, and it doesn't hurt to keep your options open until they can give you a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Yeah it can be annoying but just hang there. I personally wouldn't have called since you already emailed the application because I always felt if you are unemployed it's best if you pretend you don't need the job.

But keep us updated