LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Different Strokes for Different Folks???

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2010, 12:37 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post
Everyday I pray, and ask for help to stay strong. Its not easy because the other girl, is very two faced, and back stabber, and she acts like she is the best thing since sliced bread.
Good call Mercedes!! This action trumps everything else. Pray, and wait. And don't jump off the deep end yourself, where the other girl is. Everything will fall into place. And you might just be lucky enough to witness it!!
Old 21st February 2010, 1:06 PM   #17

Praying alone will not help you improve or keep your job.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 2:38 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
Praying alone will not help you improve or keep your job.
Amen!
Blackfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 5:06 PM   #19

This is what I do.

I pray and work on my weaknesses. I will work on the areas of weakness, I will be professional at all times. However, I don't kiss butt. I am grateful to have a job. Kissing butt does not work anyway.
Mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 6:27 PM   #20
Established Member

How you are treated has a lot to do with overall performance. Lets say an employee who has a history of great attendance, great attitude and a high level of productivity makes an error. It's likely that this error will be easily forgiven due to the fact that that employee is respected and valued by management.

On the other hand, if that same mistake is made by an employee who is always late, calls in sick often, has a hard time completing their work and causes more work for others it will not be forgiven as easily.
Old 21st February 2010, 6:41 PM   #21

By the way

Never late, always on time and hardly ever, ever, ever, never absent.
Old 22nd February 2010, 5:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post
Yes. Its a law firm. The mistakes were proofreading errors.
Law firms are notoriously poorly managed compared to other businesses where handling line employees is concerned. Of all the places I've worked, a law firm's culture is the most prone to toadying, back-stabbing and other types of political machinations. Some of the best lawyers are atrociously bad managers of people, exacerbating the problem significantly.

So yes, in your environment, this kind of thing is typical. If it causes you much anxiety, try to find a non legal job.
meerkat stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 2:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat stew View Post
Law firms are notoriously poorly managed compared to other businesses where handling line employees is concerned. Of all the places I've worked, a law firm's culture is the most prone to toadying, back-stabbing and other types of political machinations. Some of the best lawyers are atrociously bad managers of people, exacerbating the problem significantly.
Sadly, I must admit this is true...
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 8:01 AM   #24

It feels good.

It feels good that someone acknowledges my pain. It makes me able to endure. You guys gave me good advice. I will do my best to hang on.
Old 24th February 2010, 9:32 PM   #25
Established Member

I third the above. Law firms are ridiculously stressful and have some questionable employment practices especially if you are not a partner let alone support staff. I am a little confused, did you and the other employee have the same manager or separate? That can/will make all the difference in the world.
Got it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 11:01 PM   #26

Well

we have the same manager. my attorney was my supervisor and her attorney is her supervisor but they all report to the office manger.