LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Equal opportunity employment sucks sometimes!


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2010, 7:05 PM   #16
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 520
Actually WHITE WOMEN are the ones who benefit most from affirmative action statistically....just thought id add that in there. The issue is in order for this whole nonsense to stop why dont they start teaching people that someones skin color doesnt make them inferior. If it wasnt for the good ole boys club up at the top things would be better.

You know applicants with ethnic sounding names are ten times less likely to be called back than someone with a white sounding name? Shondrika cant help what her name is nor more than beth can. Equal opportunity with education as well. Schools in the inner city get less funding than schools in the suburbs even less not thanks to no child left behind. ...i could go on and on and on but i wont. Oh well back to filling out resumes....
TwinkletOes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 9:20 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26 View Post
If it wasnt for the good ole boys club up at the top things would be better.
Last time I checked, the dude at the top in the US was a minority. That excuse isn't going to work anymore...

Quote:
You know applicants with ethnic sounding names are ten times less likely to be called back than someone with a white sounding name? Shondrika cant help what her name is nor more than beth can. Equal opportunity with education as well. Schools in the inner city get less funding than schools in the suburbs even less not thanks to no child left behind. ...i could go on and on and on but i wont. Oh well back to filling out resumes....
Names have cultural undertones as well. Shaniqua and Michelle may both be black, but admittedly one does sound more... professional. Same thing with Nikki vs. Nicole, etc.

Many schools get funding based on property taxes. Property taxes in the inner city bring in substantially less than the 'burbs.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 10:08 PM   #18
Established Member
 
pureinheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In a very good place!
Posts: 14,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lish View Post
I just think it's wrong to discriminate against ANYBODY based on the colour of their skin.

When hiring an assistant, I want the most qualified person, and no one else compared to the girl I wanted.

It just burns my ass that this poor girl has done everything right, had her schooling, experience, credentials- and despite being the right fit, she's being discriminated against.

I chatted with my boss tonight while I was babysitting my nephews, and she told me to hang tight, that she was going to go to bat for this girl because she thinks she has a lot of potential. She said she thinks because I am newer to the company that HR is just wanting to hammer the point. However, of the last 4 managers I have hired for our stores- 3 of the 4 have been gay, asian, and latino - the other I promoted from assistant manager and she was white. So- I think I am establishing a track record of adhering to company hiring practices.

It's just frustrating. Anyway, my boss is going to the head of HR to talk to him directly.
Amen, and another amen...I could care less if a person is purple, green or blue...if they are the best qualified, that should be the criteria.

My ex fiancee was discriminated against because of his color of skin concerning the fire dept and had to wait until he was almost 40 to qualify...I am thinking the reason he finally did was AGE, that finally qualified him.

He was WAY over qualified for years, go figure.
__________________
Nothing is impossible for God...
pureinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 10:10 PM   #19
Established Member
 
pureinheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In a very good place!
Posts: 14,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26 View Post
Actually WHITE WOMEN are the ones who benefit most from affirmative action statistically....just thought id add that in there. The issue is in order for this whole nonsense to stop why dont they start teaching people that someones skin color doesnt make them inferior. If it wasnt for the good ole boys club up at the top things would be better.

You know applicants with ethnic sounding names are ten times less likely to be called back than someone with a white sounding name? Shondrika cant help what her name is nor more than beth can. Equal opportunity with education as well. Schools in the inner city get less funding than schools in the suburbs even less not thanks to no child left behind. ...i could go on and on and on but i wont. Oh well back to filling out resumes....
Actually, ya...being a woman got me a job once....
pureinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 5:56 AM   #20
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26 View Post
You know applicants with ethnic sounding names are ten times less likely to be called back than someone with a white sounding name? Shondrika cant help what her name is nor more than beth can. Equal opportunity with education as well. Schools in the inner city get less funding than schools in the suburbs even less not thanks to no child left behind. ...i could go on and on and on but i wont. Oh well back to filling out resumes....
I was just about to make this same exact point. And to the original poster, you don't need to worry about that girl - if she's as good as you say she is, she will find another job pretty quickly, and I'm sure you'll find someone as qualified as she was.
green_tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 5:19 AM   #21
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 270
This really sucks - this so-called "Affirmative action" all a load of BS, I have no idea why the people who set those policies are so dumb, obviously they got to their positions in just this way....

The easier way would be anonymous resumes and applications (ok a little more difficult with interviews) totally addresses the problem of prejudice and discrimination without any of the ill side-effects... Of course I did it personally : my own resume never included my skin color, genetic-origin, gender or age.... And I very much doubt it hindered my career.....

Last edited by Neutrino; 8th February 2010 at 5:21 AM..
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 8:12 PM   #22
Established Member
 
D-Lish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_tea View Post
I was just about to make this same exact point. And to the original poster, you don't need to worry about that girl - if she's as good as you say she is, she will find another job pretty quickly, and I'm sure you'll find someone as qualified as she was.
Well I have an update- I interviewed more applicants today and I found two more applicants that I'd consider adequate. I submitted them to HR this afternoon and left it with them.

What really bothers me is that I feel like I am participating in something that feels wrong. It's discrimination no matter how you look at it and I honestly feel conflicted over it.

I have to be very careful how I tread with this because I don't want to question company policy- but it seems ridiculous to me to deny someone a position they qualify for because of the colour of their skin. It goes against the very premise of what equal opportunity employment was originally inspired by doesn't it?

I know that people in the past have missed out on great jobs because they were discriminated against- and yet here we are doing the same thing but in the opposite direction.

The best person for the job should be the one that is hired- regardless of the colour of their skin, sexual preference, gender, age, etc.

I feel like I am profiling when I am interviewing, and that makes me feel dirty. My boss took me out for lunch today and I was able to vent about it. She confided that she fought to get me hired and it was with the same HR rep that we are now currently dealing with, so she feels that she used up her one favour for the time being.

Sure- the young girl will find another job- but it's a shame she is going to miss out on this opportunity when she's done everything right and has all the required qualifications. I'm seriously upset by it.

Anyway, I have a gay Asian guy as my number 1 now. I liked him, he's not as qualified as the other girl my boss and I liked- but he is pretty cool.
D-Lish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 12:03 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lish View Post
...And I say sometimes because of course the premise is altruistic, but it sucks that I am going to miss out on a great employee.

My boss and I interviewed 10 prospective assistants that I will have to work closely with. One stood out- all her qualifications were outstanding, she has the experience I am looking for, a perfect fit in terms of our personalities... BUT, I can't hire her!

HR informed me today, when I submitted her as my number one candidate, that in order to ensure we remain ethnically diverse, that I need to look for an assistant that better fits that profile. They didn't tell me I had to- but they encouraged me to submit 2 more possible candidates that fit into that mold. I talked to my boss after and she claimed that although she liked my choice as well, we should interview a little further to accomodate company policy.

I am truly pissed. The girl I chose was perfect for the job- but apparantly she is too white! They aren't saying that outright, but it is heavily implied.

It saddens me that the people with the best qualifications can and are looked over in order to accomodate a quota. I was looking forward to working with this girl because she was perfectly qualified.

Anyone else have experience with this?
I am new to corporate life, and sometimes the politics upset me.
I don't care about someone's ethnicity- I just want the best possible person for the job.

I personally DETEST EOE. It degrades people. I would hate to be hired because i'm a"single white male" and not on my qualifications. I would think that would be insult to one's humanity and self worth and it puts enormous pressure on the one doing the hiring. Fortunately I work in a field where they have trouble finding ANYONE to do the job. So that doesn't seem to be a problem for me.
It's a fun job and pays well, all though there is some traveling involved.

Never been in the "corporate" world don't think I could handle all the bs. good look to ya d-lish

Last edited by skydiveaddict; 11th February 2010 at 12:21 AM..
skydiveaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 8:50 PM   #24
Established Member
 
D-Lish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiveaddict View Post
I personally DETEST EOE. It degrades people. I would hate to be hired because i'm a"single white male" and not on my qualifications. I would think that would be insult to one's humanity and self worth and it puts enormous pressure on the one doing the hiring. Fortunately I work in a field where they have trouble finding ANYONE to do the job. So that doesn't seem to be a problem for me.
It's a fun job and pays well, all though there is some traveling involved.

Never been in the "corporate" world don't think I could handle all the bs. good look to ya d-lish
Thanks Sky- I actually got word today that they are hiring my number 3 choice. I guess we already have enough gay guys. She's East Indian (I believe). She is coming in tomorrow for orientation, etc.

I liked her enough- but she was really shy, and you can't be shy in my business.

I feel very bad, I actually called my number 1 choice when I found out just to let her know we have hired someone. I didn't want her waiting by the phone- and I wanted her to be free to send out more resumes.

It sucks that the girl that hit the ball out of the park in the interview can't have a chance because she's "too pale".

Now I am wondering if I even have an opportunity for advancement with this company because of my skin colour. My boss is pregnant- and she will be going on mat leave in 5 months. She told me at lunch yesterday that she wants to recommend me for an interim replacement - I now wonder if that would pose an issue.
D-Lish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 9:17 PM   #25
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In a cozy drawer.
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lish View Post
My boss and I interviewed 10 prospective assistants that I will have to work closely with. One stood out- all her qualifications were outstanding, she has the experience I am looking for, a perfect fit in terms of our personalities... BUT, I can't hire her!
I'd like to know what company you work for, so I can never do business with them. Why do business with a company that hires under-qualified people? Horrible. I'm sorry for your situation D-Lish
TheLoneSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 9:27 PM   #26
Established Member
 
alphamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Detroit, MI :lmao:
Posts: 32,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lish View Post
...Anyone else have experience with this?
I am new to corporate life, and sometimes the politics upset me.
I don't care about someone's ethnicity- I just want the best possible person for the job.
i've gotten a coupla jobs cause i'm brown
__________________
Indeed
alphamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 9:38 PM   #27
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,082
I would be tempted to inform the first choice candidate of the situation so she can sue for racial discrimination. Serves the company right. At the very least you should take this further with the appropriate legal departments and make an official complaint of racism. They are breaking the law by refusing to hire someone because of the colour of their skin.
Eeyore79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 9:52 PM   #28
Established Member
 
D-Lish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoneSock View Post
I'd like to know what company you work for, so I can never do business with them. Why do business with a company that hires under-qualified people? Horrible. I'm sorry for your situation D-Lish
If you've ever shopped in a mall, you've been in the store, depending on your age, you've most likely purchased something from us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
i've gotten a coupla jobs cause i'm brown
Are you charming too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore79 View Post
I would be tempted to inform the first choice candidate of the situation so she can sue for racial discrimination. Serves the company right. At the very least you should take this further with the appropriate legal departments and make an official complaint of racism. They are breaking the law by refusing to hire someone because of the colour of their skin.
Well, it's never said outright.
HR has never said "you have to hire "XYZ", it's always innuendo.
It's internal discussions going on with higher ups and I get the trickle down. No one had ever said not to hire a white person- they only say "we give everyone an equal opportunity"...

I guess they have to make quotas, and HR has those records.

I'm newish, I try not to cause waves.

When you apply online- there is an optional "fill out your ethnicity" section. You don't have to fill it out- but I assume that if you don't answer it, your application is discarded.
D-Lish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 10:01 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lish View Post
Now I am wondering if I even have an opportunity for advancement with this company because of my skin colour. My boss is pregnant- and she will be going on mat leave in 5 months. She told me at lunch yesterday that she wants to recommend me for an interim replacement - I now wonder if that would pose an issue.

All this EOE stuff would drive me insane. I think common sense would say that someone should be able to hire the best person for the job. I wouldn't worry about your advancement though. I'm sure you'll do fine. You seem to assert yourself very well
If it doesn't work out though, I bet I could get you a job climbing wind turbines. (I'm thinking that might not be your passion in life however lol).
skydiveaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 10:03 PM   #30
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,082
Regardless of how the instructions "trickled down" to you, the result is that the preferred candidate did not get the job because of the colour of her skin. That is racial discrimination, and is therefore against the law.
Eeyore79 is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I can't get past the gap in my employment BW007 Business and Professional Relationships 3 19th May 2009 3:52 PM
Equal pay for equal work... is this legal? mopar crazy Business and Professional Relationships 18 22nd July 2008 4:34 PM
Another equal pay for equal work questions....different situation mopar crazy Business and Professional Relationships 15 1st July 2008 11:58 AM
MM waiting for employment maggiemay The Other Man / Woman 11 5th December 2005 10:35 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 8:27 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.