Still unemployed?

Unemployment statistics and the crowds at the job centres already tell me I'm not alone. Actually, the other unemployed person in my household tells me I'm not alone. You know it's grim when your Sunday night routine involves checking in with the DOL (no, still not working; no, didn't turn down any offers).

The last thing I want is to watch someone else struggle. I mean, of course I feel bad for someone who dropped a ton of money on a degree, only to find it's worthless. Unfortunately, I've gotten cynical enough that part of me is thinking, "What, you couldn't plan ahead for something where there were bound to be jobs? Nursing? Law? Teaching?"

Unemployment statistics and the crowds at the job centres already tell me I'm not alone. Actually, the other unemployed person in my household tells me I'm not alone. You know it's grim when your Sunday night routine involves checking in with the DOL (no, still not working; no, didn't turn down any offers).

The last thing I want is to watch someone else struggle. I mean, of course I feel bad for someone who dropped a ton of money on a degree, only to find it's worthless. Unfortunately, I've gotten cynical enough that part of me is thinking, "What, you couldn't plan ahead for something where there were bound to be jobs? Nursing? Law? Teaching?"

I don't know about nursing, but there are hardly any jobs in law, and hardly any jobs in teaching right now. Don't make assumptions ;)

Wait, seriously? I mean, about the teaching; I suppose I can see there being too many lawyers as it is. ;) Surely some public school somewhere needs a hardcore Sidney Poitier-type to whip the little bratlings into shape.

"What, you couldn't plan ahead for something where there were bound to be jobs?"

That's exactly what my parents said to me when I went to art school. I told them I could certainly go and do something in which I had absolutely no interest if I wanted to be suicidal for the rest of my life.

Wait, seriously? I mean, about the teaching; I suppose I can see there being too many lawyers as it is. ;) Surely some public school somewhere needs a hardcore Sidney Poitier-type to whip the little bratlings into shape.

There are a few that are hiring...but they have something like 800% more applicants now than they have had in the past (I'm bad at math, but it's something ridiculous like that, where the ratio is almost 1:100)

It's not that there aren't jobs out there right now..there are. I've been on 16 interviews in the past 5 months!

As OnlyJake said, SOOO many more people are applying for a position that the odds go down dramatically of being hired. It stinks!!! :mad:

I had to take a crappy job after losing my business, making 1/5th of what I'd been clearing at one point running my own business. I had to seel my loft, give up my car, and move home to my parents basement after years of being self sufficient.

Thankfully, after suffering for some time and hating my job, persistence paid off and through networking, I landed a much better job, moved out, and am once again making things work.

I have 2 degrees and two diploma's, a wealth of knowledge and for a while I wasn't even getting interviews or responses to my resume's.

My schooling is worth it, even though it's unrelated to my field I'm in.

• Author
TwinkletOes26

I wasnt making fun of the guy I was just saying I thought his blog was helpful. Hes not just woah is meing hes just telling people what hes going through. I thought those who were also struggling could relate ya know?

I meant no harm....sorry if it offended someone :(

I don't know about nursing, but there are hardly any jobs in law, and hardly any jobs in teaching right now. Don't make assumptions ;)

This is very true, at least in California.

Law schools are pumping out young associates...only to leave them jobless. There's less room for lateral movement for senior associates/junior partners as well.

Teachers are also suffering. A friend of mine just decided to go back to school to teach, in the hopes that when she's eventually done the job market will have improved.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - NO ONE is recession proof.

I wasnt making fun of the guy I was just saying I thought his blog was helpful. Hes not just woah is meing hes just telling people what hes going through. I thought those who were also struggling could relate ya know?

I meant no harm....sorry if it offended someone :(

I don't think you made fun of him...

His blog was helpful, I feel the same way. I'm not about to give up finding a job but I am ready to pull my hair out because I'm so frustrated that I keep going on interviews and have nothing to show for it. It's horrible. :mad:

The best thing we can do is to function in survival mode. Eliminate your debt. Cut spending. Spend cash only. Minimize expenses. If part-time jobs are all that are offered then take two part-time jobs. Do what it takes.

What about hotel clerk?

Jake so true I have been applying, looking,calling,and involved with employment security commision,and all I have been getting is Hotel,Motel work is about the only places we MIGHT get lucky at finding a job.

They don't pay much,but it's a lil more than 200 bucks a week,and thats not till next month hiring. I think thats better than working fast food,and it's something. I am uneducated so I don't really have a choice in where I work,but good luck to all.

Great blog!

I've was laid off on Dec. 23, 2008 and have been unemployed since.

I'm experiencing the same frustrations as everybody else. I've been applying for jobs and have applied at 4 different agencies, but still no interview.

I currently have a BA, but guess it doesn't mean anything today. I was in the automotive industry for the past 25+ years, but the companies I worked for have left CA and moved back east. I thought of relocating when relocation packages were being offered, but I decided to stay in CA since I figured I'd have a better chance of finding a job, but, oh well, guess it doesn't matter where you're at. I was told by those employees that relocated that voluntary separation packages were being offered because sales have dropped, etc., etc.

What never made sense to me was companies would lay off employees to cut expenses, hoping to increase their bottom line.... how does that work? More people out of a job = increase in profit? Sure doesn't compute.

Great blog!

What never made sense to me was companies would lay off employees to cut expenses, hoping to increase their bottom line.... how does that work? More people out of a job = increase in profit? Sure doesn't compute.

It makes sense if it's a publically traded company. The top executives are beholden to the share holders, and if the company does not - at least - get close to the predicted revenue on quarterly earnings, the shareholders might begin dumping the stock - which can ultimately lead to bankruptcy for the corporation.

Unfortunately, for the company, it does indeed compute. The demand for labor depends on the business that comes through the door. If there's no revenue, then there's no point in keeping payroll the same. It's not like companies ever want to get ride of good employees, but sometimes they have tough choices to make.