LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Distraction at work

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2010, 5:31 PM   #16
Established Member

Yes, I know what you mean. I always pick up on other's body language. I would occassionally drop by another co-workers office for a quick chat and if I can see that he is giving signals that he would rather be left alone, I say something like "better get back to work" and leave.

It's time to get tough with this girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mem11363 View Post
This is a fair and humane approach. Better then what I initially suggested. You have actually taken your fair share of responsibility for this situation which is more then most people do.

I always used to be amazed at work when people would ignore my ever increasing non-verbal signals that I was anxious to return to work. I simply learned to get up - say "walk with me" and walk to the coffee machine with them - quickly get a coffee - turn and say "thanks for stopping by to chat" and walk back to my office without another word. No one EVER followed me back to my office when I did that. And I learned to use that technique immediately with the many people who were clueless to body language.
SadandConfusedWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 5:36 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadandConfusedWA View Post
tough love.... grrrrrrrr
Old 15th January 2010, 6:08 PM   #18
Established Member

classic lines for obtuse co-workers

1. The boss told me I need to get this "assignment" done ASAP and he seemed a little anxious about it - so I really need to get on it. And then I stare fixedly back at my computer screen.

If they keep talking I just smile and say in a nice voice:
2. "I would love to talk also but I can't - I need to work on this now - I know you don't want me to get in trouble"

After that I just act as if they are not speaking. They can talk all day long but if they do I tune them out. Because at that point they are violating your airspace in a rather grotesque way. And if they get angry that is on them. People don't get angry about it if they see you are working. They mainly get angry if you refuse to socialize with them but make time to soc with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadandConfusedWA View Post
Yes, I know what you mean. I always pick up on other's body language. I would occassionally drop by another co-workers office for a quick chat and if I can see that he is giving signals that he would rather be left alone, I say something like "better get back to work" and leave.

mem11363 is offline   Reply With Quote