All rich but me

Awesome Username

I know this is petty, but I went out with some old coworker dudes of mine and I found out through conversation that they're all rich but me. We were drinking and they were talking about their millions, while I was sitting there thinking about how I do not have that kind of money. These people are making games, websites, and are fantastic developers while I've only ever animated so my ideas are always only that - ideas.

You know, I don't really care about anything materialistic like clothing or flashy care or any of that stuff, so it really shouldn't matter. I had an idea that they were a little loaded, but not to the extent that I found out they were and I can't help but feel jealous about it. This happens to me all the time - people I went to school with, dudes I work with, etc. I can know someone for a year and we hang out and exercise, get coffee, work together, etc. They all turn out to come from *tons* of money and I have no idea why this is the case. After a while, it makes you feel kinda small.

Like you said, there is more to life than money. I personally would be perfectly happy with making enough to get by and enough extra for a nice vacation every year.

Flashy care?:laugh: Whats that?:p

• Author
Awesome Username
Like you said, there is more to life than money. I personally would be perfectly happy with making enough to get by and enough extra for a nice vacation every year.

Flashy care?:laugh: Whats that?:p

Flashy Cars. No wonder I'm not rich - I can't even spell! :lmao:

Yeah, I want enough $ so that if anything drastic happens or I want to get out of a certain situation, I'm completely covered.

and kids seems expensive too...sheesh! :)

Flashy Cars. No wonder I'm not rich - I can't even spell! :lmao:

Yeah, I want enough $ so that if anything drastic happens or I want to get out of a certain situation, I'm completely covered.

and kids seems expensive too...sheesh! :)

you're in the video game line of work correct? Thats good money I'd imagine.

I know this is petty, but I went out with some old coworker dudes of mine and I found out through conversation that they're all rich but me. We were drinking and they were talking about their millions, while I was sitting there thinking about how I do not have that kind of money. These people are making games, websites, and are fantastic developers while I've only ever animated so my ideas are always only that - ideas.

You know, I don't really care about anything materialistic like clothing or flashy care or any of that stuff, so it really shouldn't matter. I had an idea that they were a little loaded, but not to the extent that I found out they were and I can't help but feel jealous about it. This happens to me all the time - people I went to school with, dudes I work with, etc. I can know someone for a year and we hang out and exercise, get coffee, work together, etc. They all turn out to come from *tons* of money and I have no idea why this is the case. After a while, it makes you feel kinda small.

Your friends are rich because they got lucky and hit the market at the right time with the right game AND the right deal from the publisher. I know a few game developers who have tons of money, but that is a very small percentage of the people who make video games. Many things have to fall into place for this to happen, and alot more people just make a decent wage in the gaming industry, but never see big money. Very few ever do. It can happen anywhere the lighting strikes correctly - more often than not though, the gaming industry is like any other entertainment industry - and alot of people are out of work alot of the time. It's a gamble with any entertainment based consumer product.

Don't be jealous, find a way to levereage your skills to pick and be with the right company at the right time, and you can make some really good money as well.

• Author
Awesome Username
Your friends are rich because they got lucky and hit the market at the right time with the right game AND the right deal from the publisher. I know a few game developers who have tons of money, but that is a very small percentage of the people who make video games. Many things have to fall into place for this to happen, and alot more people just make a decent wage in the gaming industry, but never see big money. Very few ever do. It can happen anywhere the lighting strikes correctly - more often than not though, the gaming industry is like any other entertainment industry - and alot of people are out of work alot of the time. It's a gamble with any entertainment based consumer product.

Don't be jealous, find a way to levereage your skills to pick and be with the right company at the right time, and you can make some really good money as well.

Wow; what a great reply. Thanks for cheering me up. :)

They're obviously materialistic if they talk about money. i never talk about money with people, ever. You obviously are materialistic because you are comparing yourself to them and envy them. Let me tell you a little secret about life, people who are materialistic are NEVER happy because nothing is ever enough for them.

Yeah, I know some pretty 'comfortable' people, a few being close friends, and they never talk about money and things. They don't have to. Find different friends and acquaintances. Personally, when I encounter such people as described in the OP, my head can be seen bobbing like that dog on the dashboard until I can locate an appropriate exit. Life's too short :)

I'm surrounded by people with money - I don't know how that happens. I think it's mostly a compliment to you, though, because you find yourself in the company of highly successful people. Maybe you're not successful in the financial aspect, but you obviously have some character trait that makes them want to share your company. As most successful people will tell you, one of the best ways to become successful is to surround yourself with successful people. Don't envy what they have, learn from them.

As one writer said, 'Poverty is a disease of the mind'. There's nothing wrong with wanting or having money. It's a necessity in life.

How do you know their stories are even true ? or that the flashy car was not bought on a 10% annual interest loan ? I have a couple of friends who only wear designer clothes while I buy my jeans at the local market - yet I earn more than both of them.

This is the universal show-off, IMO one of the lower sides of human nature...Waste all your money to flash it out to friends and neighbors, if my neighbors want to see something expensive - they can pay for it themselves.

Live your life for YOU not for anyone else. After all - the only person who will have to face the consequences is you. Not even to mention that during such economical times - this show-off can also make you a target !

The only measure for true success in life is your own happiness - so don't let anyone get you down.

;)

Edited by Neutrino
lord alfred douglas

Sage advice

Problem is that when we compare ourselves to others, (and believe me I am not above this) we always LOSE...because we either pick those we perceive as above us, so we feel like losers, or those below us, so we feel superior...:confused:

How do you know their stories are even true ? or that the flashy car was not bought on a 10% annual interest loan ? I have a couple of friends who only wear designer clothes while I buy my jeans at the local market - yet I earn more than both of them.

This is the universal show-off, IMO one of the lower sides of human nature...Waste all your money to flash it out to friends and neighbors, if my neighbors want to see something expensive - they can pay for it themselves.

Live your life for YOU not for anyone else. After all - the only person who will have to face the consequences is you. Not even to mention that during such economical times - this show-off can also make you a target !

The only measure for true success in life is your own happiness - so don't let anyone get you down.

;)

Excellent post.

Just do what you like, if you are making it by in life, then you're ok. ActionScript baby!

Don't fret too much. Instead, look up Certificates of Deposit and investments. I know someone who lives entirely off of investments as he goes to school. Doesn't have to do anything other than stay updated on his portfolio with his awesome iphone. and he's a really nice guy and gets things done, too! whatever savings you hve, you can find a way to put it to work for you. Chances are, these guys/people have some investments going, as well as the nice job.

Hey, Awesome.

They aren't richer than you. No! Why, you were blessed with good health, good looks, and a sunny outlook on life that shines through on each and every post. And you know what? Money can't buy those things! You're plenty rich, Awesome! Now cheer up and get out there and make people smile!! :) That's where the real fortune is.

reservoirdog1

Dude, I struggle with this too -- comparing myself to other people. You know it's not healthy to do that. I know that too. But that doesn't stop us from doing that, does it? Nope.

One thing that's helped me is, oddly enough, to do ADDITIONAL comparing of myself -- but not to specific individuals, to the world at large. I remind myself that I make a comfortable income, and that, in fact, I have a higher income than something like 95% of the people in my country. This helps me to recognize how fortunate I am -- and thus translates into "what the hell do I have to complain about?"

I don't know if this is a textbook method or not, but hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...
She's_NotInLove_w/Me

I am the finance manager for a luxury car dealership; All day long I work with people to finance their new Mercedes, Audi, Land Rover, Jaguar cars... I usually see all of their dirty laundry.

If you could see what I see in a week you would realize that many (most of them really) of the people who drive flashy cars are (financially speaking) fakes; they like to appear much more 'successful' than they are...

The one example that sticks in my head are the financial advisor and his client (got this from "The Millionaire Next Door," I think). The advisor drives a leased BMW, wears an Armani suit, Rolex watch, and highly polished Bostonians on his feet. The client is wearing old jeans, loafers, a Timex and has his paid for Taurus he bought when it was a few years old. Who do you think is the millionaire? Who do you think is up to his eyeballs in debt?

Millionaires don't have to dress up, because they are already in a good spot.

Now granted some people just love to pose and pretend they are the super rich, but there are also those that need to cater to the corporate image in order to be recognized as professionals. I understand this, because I have learned over the years that perception is at least 50% of my job to the top executives. If I want to be promoted into their world, I have to also appear the part - besides being great at the job.

It's messed up, but I see it everyday, and you learn all the moving parts that are needed to make that leap.

The people in most of the circles I move in make a lot more money than I do - or than my H and I do for that matter.

Most of them, the ones with real money - you would never know it. But some of them are really awful as far as bragging. I have found that the ones who brag are almost always living beyond their means.

I also have friends who struggle financially and I certainly have myself.

Currently, I drive one of the fancy cars mentioned , so I'm doing OK. But you know I am finding it speaks a little more than I wanted it too. I dont like the idea that anyone would feel jealous, make assumptions, stuff like that. Its just a very good machine and I drive a LOT. I had to do without other things to get it. I had to choose.

If you find yourself envious of someone else, just remember that their choices not just in cars, houses, jobs, etc have been different than yours. Its all a mix of opportunity, luck, and mostly choices.

You sound great. You are making good choices. You have NO IDEA what they are doing or if they are happy.

Envy...ditch it. Ya gotta ditch it. Its your issue and unless you rid yourself of it entirely, it will impede you.

• Author
Awesome Username

Thank you for all of the replies, guys. Sometimes it's hard to realize how lucky you actually are when you compare yourself too much in this competitive world. The funny thing is that I'm not really into luxury that much, so it wouldn't even matter if I DID have huge amounts of dough. I'm gonna keep on studying my stuff and being grateful. Thanks again! <3 :)

I am the finance manager for a luxury car dealership; All day long I work with people to finance their new Mercedes, Audi, Land Rover, Jaguar cars... I usually see all of their dirty laundry.

If you could see what I see in a week you would realize that many (most of them really) of the people who drive flashy cars are (financially speaking) fakes; they like to appear much more 'successful' than they are...

The one example that sticks in my head are the financial advisor and his client (got this from "The Millionaire Next Door," I think). The advisor drives a leased BMW, wears an Armani suit, Rolex watch, and highly polished Bostonians on his feet. The client is wearing old jeans, loafers, a Timex and has his paid for Taurus he bought when it was a few years old. Who do you think is the millionaire? Who do you think is up to his eyeballs in debt?

The classic 30k millionare. We share a similar job description in where I see things that really make me scratch my head. The thing is as you know those types are running out or recoources...the banks are putting an end to their facade. BTW why does every D-bag have to lease a range rover sport?

So to the OP, up until now it was very easy to pretend you were wealthy and those that did tend to be compinsating for a short coming in another area. If your talking about it you probably do not have it. Money is a nice thing to have but it can also bring problems.

Edited by frd150