Does the Employer look at Resume , then call you or ...

Does the Employer : Looking at your Resume :

Does he look at the resume , call you for an interview and THEN verify all information on the Resume is correct ?

Or is it : Receive resume , verify everything and then call you ?

Interview first. No point in going through the trouble of verifying accuracy before figuring out if they like you.

curiousnycgirl
Interview first. No point in going through the trouble of verifying accuracy before figuring out if they like you.

she beat me to it - but as usual Star is correct.

• Author

Whew !

I guess in this tough economy I can assume so many ppl are looking for jobs and I am sitting in a big stack of resumes...

I don't ever remember it being so tough to get an interview....

Thank you SG :)

Receive CV, put in a call to friends and contacts at different firms for some unofficial verification, request interview, interview, then full verification.

• Author
Receive CV, put in a call to friends and contacts at different firms for some unofficial verification, request interview, interview, then full verification.

Thank you. Do most employers call HR to get all the stats ?

Thank you. Do most employers call HR to get all the stats ?
There are a lot of companies who won't give information out, without HR as their mouth piece, so yes, most do call HR.

But that's another reason why networking is so important, within your industry. If you're an employer, you can get the goods on people. If you're seeking employment, a stellar reputation adds to your ability to get more jobs and also, your ability to negotiate an excellent salary.

• Author
There are a lot of companies who won't give information out, without HR as their mouth piece, so yes, most do call HR.

But that's another reason why networking is so important, within your industry. If you're an employer, you can get the goods on people. If you're seeking employment, a stellar reputation adds to your ability to get more jobs and also, your ability to negotiate an excellent salary.

Thank you soo much :) Your response was very valuable and in these struggling times it helps to get out there and network :)

It really depends on how your resume was submitted.

If you went through an internal contact, one who sent the resume to the hiring manager, then most likely your contact's reputation and level matters. HR is usually bought in for compliance, verification, and paper work.

If you went through normal channels, company website, HR usually goes through and separates those who are unqualified and submit the rest (or top 10) to the hiring manager.

If you know the hiring manager, then your interview first then HR comes in for compliance (there might be better candidates, seniority, internal candidates, etc...)

If you follow TBF's route of networking, then it would most likely be a mix of internal contact and hiring manager.

Does he look at the resume , call you for an interview and THEN verify all information on the Resume is correct ?

Or is it : Receive resume , verify everything and then call you ?

most employers will verify your info after they make an offer to you. there is no way they could verify everyone before interviewing them

• Author
It really depends on how your resume was submitted.

If you went through an internal contact, one who sent the resume to the hiring manager, then most likely your contact's reputation and level matters. HR is usually bought in for compliance, verification, and paper work.

If you went through normal channels, company website, HR usually goes through and separates those who are unqualified and submit the rest (or top 10) to the hiring manager.

If you know the hiring manager, then your interview first then HR comes in for compliance (there might be better candidates, seniority, internal candidates, etc...)

If you follow TBF's route of networking, then it would most likely be a mix of internal contact and hiring manager.

When I was in HR getting my work badge at my old job I noticed ppl would call HR and verify if the employee did work there. The lady would say yes and I think she gave the hire dates as well.... What else can they give ? Reason for seperation ? Anything else ?

The lady would say yes and I think she gave the hire dates as well.... What else can they give ? Reason for seperation ? Anything else ?

due to lawsuits and other reasons most companies (atleast the big companies) will only give your work dates and the name of your position...

When I was in HR getting my work badge at my old job I noticed ppl would call HR and verify if the employee did work there. The lady would say yes and I think she gave the hire dates as well.... What else can they give ? Reason for seperation ? Anything else ?

I have seen salary range verification since some employees give out to much information. Some employers have automatic employment verification systems that also give out salary information. One code for employment and another code for employment dates, salary verification, title, etc...

Coming from an HR point of view, each company is different when it comes to separation reasons; some will not give separation reasons to semi-specific details (retired, better opportunities, education, fired with cause, budget cuts, etc...)

• Author
I have seen salary range verification since some employees give out to much information. Some employers have automatic employment verification systems that also give out salary information. One code for employment and another code for employment dates, salary verification, title, etc...

Coming from an HR point of view, each company is different when it comes to separation reasons; some will not give separation reasons to semi-specific details (retired, better opportunities, education, fired with cause, budget cuts, etc...)

You guys are the Best and making me feel better... :)

• 3 weeks later...

They verify the information on the resume after the interview has taken place.

I'm sorry you are having trouble, so am I. I don't have an issue getting interviews though, just getting hired!!!!!

• Author
They verify the information on the resume after the interview has taken place.

I'm sorry you are having trouble, so am I. I don't have an issue getting interviews though, just getting hired!!!!!

How did your last interview go LaurieBell ?

How did your last interview go LaurieBell ?

I had an interview last week that I felt went REALLY well, but what the heck do I know? I haven't heard anything back from them yet. And just because it went well doesn't mean I got it!

I had another one this past Wednesday that went well, the girl told me she was recommending me for a second interview and I met the person who said he was going to be interviewing me. I was told they would contact me to set up a second interview but I have not gotten a call back yet...:(

• Author
I had an interview last week that I felt went REALLY well, but what the heck do I know? I haven't heard anything back from them yet. And just because it went well doesn't mean I got it!

I had another one this past Wednesday that went well, the girl told me she was recommending me for a second interview and I met the person who said he was going to be interviewing me. I was told they would contact me to set up a second interview but I have not gotten a call back yet...:(

In each case I would wait 2 weeks. After that ( or now ) send them a letter of thanks for interviewing you...Good Luck ! :)