Dating a coworker

Have you ever dated a coworker? What was your experience like? How did you keep it "professional" at work, or did you not ;)? Are you still together? Still working together?

I really like this guy I work with, and he likes me too. I just dont want things at work to get "weird".

Any input would be helpful!

I wouldn't recommend it.

I dated a co-worker about 5 years ago.

We kept it private and didn't tell anyone, but over a certain amount of time, people take notice (like when you always take vacation at the same time).

When it ended it was uncomfortable, but over a few months I didn't even notice him there anymore. (big company)

I would tread carefully!

On another hand, my BF met her Boyfriend at her work. They dated secretly for 4 years! He just transferred jobs to another company, so now they are public. They seemed to handle it very well and are still together.

Good luck!

It doesn't have to be a problem so long as you can keep your home lives and your work lives seperate. Having said that, I wouldn't date someone I had to work closely with every day (like in the same department).

• 2 weeks later...

I dated a co-worker and ended up getting married.

As long as you keep things professional while on company premises, it shouldn't been a issue. It's a lot simpler if you're not in the same department.

There's an article on office romance I came across recently that point out some pitfalls....if you're interested.

• Author

Thanks everyone. We have decided to start dating, however, we are keeping things private and separate. We suspect some coworkers suspect, however, we haven't been acting differently to make them outright believe so. He also reviewed policies for the company, and could not find any related to dating coworkers.

Wish me luck!

Thanks pinky for the article! I appreciate it. Are you guys still working together or did one of you leave and go to another job?

Yes, I experienced dating my coworker before. It's really hard to handle the situation since mutual relationship is not allowed in our work.

Yes, I think we got unprofessional sometimes.. specially when he gets jealous. Because my other coworker is courting me and said that he's willing to resign just to have me.

He always shouted me when he gets jealous... even in front of customer... he insulted me.

• Author

Whiteeth-

I am so sorry your coworker is being an a$$. Sounds like he's a real winner :rolleyes: Glad to hear you have moved on, even if he can't.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you ever dated a coworker? What was your experience like? How did you keep it "professional" at work, or did you not ;)? Are you still together? Still working together?

I really like this guy I work with, and he likes me too. I just dont want things at work to get "weird".

Good luck and I hope it works out.

To answer your question, it depends on where you work and your profession. Personally, I never mix business with pleasure because if/when things go sour, everybody knows your business (even if you say it's hush hush, people still know) and that level of respect for you goes out the window when people gossip about your business.

Also, should things not work out, it could become awkward and who wants to deal with that during work. JMHO.

It really depends on your work environment. I dated/hooked up with a former coworker for a short period of time (we were friends before I got hired) and we kept it a secret from everyone. It was fine while it lasted, but we had complications that ended with him treating me horribly outside of work. We didn't work together often, but when we did, it was just awkward.

All I can really say is be careful, and make sure you are both on the same page about everything that has to do with the relationship!

i dated a co-worker for 4/5 years. when it was good it was great! when it went south it was hard -you cant get a break or space to heal. other than that it was good. now, we are friends. we were actually talking back and forth all day today! and it was nice. so who knows. maybe someday we will become really good friends again because i know we both want too. but the only thing i would suggest is do your best to keep it private. its hard to do that but you are way better off. and if something blows up between you two - my suggestion again -keep it private - do not vent to co-workers about it.

That's how I met my first husband. I wish I could go back in time and said no. It's tough to date somone and if things go badly it will affect life at work. Some people may know how to keep personal and professional separate but I don't think its possible.

If you have to see each other everyday it could get boring. I beleive absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Have you ever watched Grey's Anatomy? Lesson learned from that show...don't sh*t where you eat...

By the way, I hate Grey's Anatomy...:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I met my current boyfriend at my customer service job. At first everything was just fine, i guess because people didnt know we was dating. However when time went by, supervisors started treating us differently and we could no longer sit next to each or communicate. My personal supervisor would be very biast towards me over something he seen outside of work. Long story short rumors begain to fly and we both got corrective actions for it. (some we did deserve - smile)

But every thing wound up working out ok. My boyfriend got fired and I quit and both of us have better jobs and moved in together and are now pretty happy. The job put more stress on us and caused more problems because of our relationship. So the best thing that job did, was bring me to my boyfriend.

• Author

Thanks everyone. So far so good on this end regarding our relationship. Keeping things private, figure its the best route. I find myself hanging out with him and thinking, I can't wait to go to work and tell Mr. Bill about what I did this weekend, then I realize I'm sitting there next to Mr. Bill. HAha