LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Employers : Do you run Credit Checks / Background Checks

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 14th December 2009, 9:31 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary3 View Post
I agree with you.
I can also see if you were a Predator or a Criminal how they would feel at risk...
But so many have suffered lately ( and many more will in the future until our economy levels out near 2011 they predict ) I don't think its fair right now to judge credit...
Well- it's a scary thought. I wouldn't have been hired if my current employer checked my credit score! It seems far too intrusive.
Old 14th December 2009, 9:41 PM   #17
Established Member

In the US, many companies do CRIMINAL background checks, but they are usually looking for recent or relative offenses : Someone who enters homes or manages money, can't have theft charges, somone who works with fragile populations can't have abuse charges etc.

Credit checks HAVE seemed to become less frequent, as the economy slides into the toilet. I had a near 800 credit score for most of my life, Ilness, death and foreclosure on a rental property have tanked THAT.

I know when I managed properties, if somone had great credit for 10-20 yrs and then it went into the red and they had an explanation, I would overlook it as everyone hits tough times as mary said !

Spinning off another thread about employers finding out you kept a short term job off your resume ? Nah, Unless you are applying to the FBI, CIA etc, if you are willing to "eat" the gap, they are not going to do DEEP background checks.
Old 14th December 2009, 9:42 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
I was wondering what percentage of employers run Credit Checks ? If so would you hire someone who had a Bankruptcy ?

When the employer runs a Background check , what is he/she checking ?
Don't know about the first question.

It's illegal (in the U.S.) to not hire someone just because they declared bankruptcy.

Depends on the scope of the background check (which often depends on the company, type of work, if security clearance is required, if the potential new hire works directly with money, etc.); there are different levels.

The very basic level is: identification verification, credit check, criminal history check. The weight of a credit check depends on several factors, such as if the new hire will be working directly with money, or would be in a position to be bribed.

Some other things that could be checked are education verification, employment verification, character....

Depends on a lot of factors. Most people (IME) are interested in education, criminal, credit, employment...
Old 14th December 2009, 9:45 PM   #19
Established Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodymatters View Post
In the US, many companies do CRIMINAL background checks, but they are usually looking for recent or relative offenses : Someone who enters homes or manages money, can't have theft charges, somone who works with fragile populations can't have abuse charges etc.

Credit checks HAVE seemed to become less frequent, as the economy slides into the toilet. I had a near 800 credit score for most of my life, Ilness, death and foreclosure on a rental property have tanked THAT.

I know when I managed properties, if somone had great credit for 10-20 yrs and then it went into the red and they had an explanation, I would overlook it as everyone hits tough times as mary said !

Spinning off another thread about employers finding out you kept a short term job off your resume ? Nah, Unless you are applying to the FBI, CIA etc, if you are willing to "eat" the gap, they are not going to do DEEP background checks.
Hey Melody. Glad you are doing better and thank you for the nice response. This is a little off the subject but how is the job market in Florida doing ?

Carry on...hehe...

I don't know alot of women who sit around saying " God I hate men. I would love to rub their testicles in honey and feed them to the ants. " mary3
Mary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 9:48 PM   #20
Established Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Again View Post
Don't know about the first question.

It's illegal (in the U.S.) to not hire someone just because they declared bankruptcy.

Depends on the scope of the background check (which often depends on the company, type of work, if security clearance is required, if the potential new hire works directly with money, etc.); there are different levels.

The very basic level is: identification verification, credit check, criminal history check. The weight of a credit check depends on several factors, such as if the new hire will be working directly with money, or would be in a position to be bribed.

Some other things that could be checked are education verification, employment verification, character....

Depends on a lot of factors. Most people (IME) are interested in education, criminal, credit, employment...
WOW thank you for a great response. I totally get all the reasons you have stated above for each situation...

The one for character check : You mean like your Myspace account , lol...
Old 14th December 2009, 9:48 PM   #21
Established Member

Again, depends on the company and the type of job, etc.

BUT - companies don't just look at your credit score when they do credit checks. They're looking for patterns of behavior.

They take into consideration things like, if you had a job, would that solve the credit issues you're having.
New Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 9:50 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
WOW thank you for a great response. I totally get all the reasons you have stated above for each situation...

The one for character check : You mean like your Myspace account , lol...
Ha, again, depends on the job/company doing the background check.

Yes, there's a good possibility that a character check would include looking into your MySpace and Facebook accounts (as well as other online activity). But that also includes interviewing people who know you, and NOT just people you choose to list as a reference, but people like previous landlords, roommates, coworkers, bosses, etc.
Old 14th December 2009, 9:54 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:

Yes, there's a good possibility that a character check would include looking into your MySpace and Facebook accounts (as well as other online activity). But that also includes interviewing people who know you, and NOT just people you choose to list as a reference, but people like previous landlords, roommates, coworkers, bosses, etc.

I am curious, can you give me an example of the sort of company that is going to go that deep and spend that much, to track down former landlords, roomates etc ???
melodymatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 9:57 PM   #24
Established Member

Wink

Quote:

Uh oh ! Just kidding....I have pretty good character.
Old 14th December 2009, 9:57 PM   #25

When I wasn't self-employed, we used to run background checks due to the confidential nature of our business, as well as the amount of money that ran through the firms.

Credit checks were never done. The only time it mattered was when the employee became an officer of the company. But the employee had to complete a registration form that went to one of our regulators so prior bankruptcies got flushed out at this point.
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 10:00 PM   #26
Established Member

Smile

I can totally understand if you were handling cash ...

Or if you drove for a living and your DMV background were checked...

But to pull the CR on everyone that needs a job seems expensive and not always relevant...
Old 14th December 2009, 10:03 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
I am curious, can you give me an example of the sort of company that is going to go that deep and spend that much, to track down former landlords, roomates etc ???
Honestly, the primary entity that is concerned with this is the government. Probably this is so relevant in my mind is because of where I live, where the majority of jobs (at least it seems) requires security clearance.

The military, many other government jobs, Lockheed Martin, Booz Allen, Deloitte, any private company that has any kind of government contract....

There are other scenarios, but that's what I see the most of.
Old 14th December 2009, 10:04 PM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
I would guess government jobs may do something to that effect. As for just regular businesses/agencies I would think they would not have money or time to do those types of checks unless it was a very indepth job that they needed to know about your moral character. I think that's rare though..
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 10:05 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
I can totally understand if you were handling cash ...

Or if you drove for a living and your DMV background were checked...

But to pull the CR on everyone that needs a job seems expensive and not always relevant...
Credit checks are pretty basic, but like I said, no one eliminates you just based on your credit score. They look at a lot of different things, and take a lot of things into consideration.
Old 14th December 2009, 10:10 PM   #30

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
I was wondering what percentage of employers run Credit Checks ? If so would you hire someone who had a Bankruptcy ?

When the employer runs a Background check , what is he/she checking ?
I was on the receiving end. I remember getting poked, prodded, credit checks (I saw their inquiry), drug tested, character check, phone check, random people in my past check, school records check, transcripts (official and unofficial) checks, criminal background check (local and regional)

All that just to get a job!

I do know those with an bankruptcy may or may not get hired depending on their reasons. If they are young and tried to start a venture only for the venture to go bust, they might get a second chance. If the bankruptcy was due to fiscal indiscretions or living beyond one's means, that is a different story.
jerbear is offline   Reply With Quote