Need a new job...resume needs revamping

If you have a friend in that industry have them look over your resume and give you pointers on what will stand out. Tell them you want frank criticism and not fluffed up stuff because they don't want to hurt your feelings.

After that ask for an informational interview to see what the world is like out there. Quite frankly it is not very nice out in the job world.

• Author

I know it is definitely slim pickings. I am going back to school but another year until I graduate and I absolutely can stay here another year. I would not be able to take it. I don't really know anyone that can help me with my resume and mine already looks like the one's they suggest on the internet. All I can do is hope I guess.

Thanks.

Having recently BTDT in this economy...I honestly don't think it matters one tiny bit what is on your resume. You need to know someone that's already working for the company you want to work for. Good luck!

I had to re-do my resume after years of owning my own business and then finding myself on the job hunt.

It's very important to tailor your resume to each job you apply to. You want to highlight different experiences and assets according to what the employer you are applying to is seeking.

I did have insider information about the position I landed- I knew someone important that knew someone important and that got me an interview.

What industry are you applying to? That might help us to give you specific points.

It's very important to tailor your resume to each job you apply to. You want to highlight different experiences and assets according to what the employer you are applying to is seeking.

This is excellent advice, I completely agree. When I'm shuffling through resumes, and I have a few key ones picked out, I read those very closely for matching skillsets. I can generally tell at this point when I'm getting blanket resume submissions, and when I am getting ones from people who honestly want to work in my company.

as someone who has had to write more resumes than i ever wanted to in the last 3 years, D-lish hit the nail on the head...tailor to each job, use some of the job description in your resume if possible and BE ABLE TO BACK IT UP with good info or good BS. try the DeptofLabor in your area before you pay someone to do it. they may be some idiots working there, but they can give you a start. but like many other things in life, you should get more than one opinion.

good luck....it's tough out there in the job hunting world.

Tailor each resume to each job you are applying for and have a good supply of references.

Edited by Glenguy