Photo in a resume - bad idea?

SadandConfusedWA

I found a position that is perfect for me and I wanted to apply even though it is in another city.

I feel like I need something to stand out as I am sure they will be getting lots of applications. It is an academic position and part of it is working with students. I decided to put a passport sized photo in my resume even though I read lots of negative comments about it on the internet.

I guess my reasoning is that the position is long distance so I am likely to get a phone interview if anything. Also, I know my face comes across as friendly, approachable, trustworthy, non-creepy and somewhat attractive (my personality is another story but they can't see that...yet ;)).

Now that I have sent off the application, I am having second thoughts. What if they think it's tacky and weird? Ugh. Let me know you thoughts, LS folk.

It's illegal for them to consider your application based on your photo. It brings in all kinds of legal discrimination issues such as race, gender, and age.

Hopefully, HR will just toss your picture in the garbage instead of the whole resume.

It's illegal for them to consider your application based on your photo. It brings in all kinds of legal discrimination issues such as race, gender, and age.

I've never heard of such a thing, NJ.

True, employers cannot discriminate based on race, gender, age, etc., but what do you think a resume reveals when it says your name is Jacinta Suarez and you graduated from high school in 1983? Very often your very application reveals your gender, your ethnicity, and your age.

If your appearance/attractiveness is relevant to a position, I think it's a good idea to include a photograph when applying long distance. BUT I cannot think of too many positions where appearance is really all that relevant...besides, say, a news anchor.

It's illegal to discriminate in hiring; anything that gives the implication that a candidate was hired based on physical appearance could be grounds for a discrimination suit.

In a society where we love to sue people, especially companies, HR would see that picture as a liability in the event the candidate wasn't hired (or was hired and another candidate sued for discrimination). They may still review the resume and move it through the process, but that picture won't get past the HR manager's desk.

It is something that can not hurt when it is a professional services job, real estate, lawyer, politician, entertainment business, bio page, etc..

In your case I would suggest against putting a photo in your resume. Now if you have a one page bio page, then include it.

What if they think it's tacky and weird? Ugh. Let me know you thoughts, LS folk.

If I were to get a resume like that, I'd think, oh, she thinks she's pretty.

And it looks like you are trying to impress them with your looks.

But since people are interested in looks the most, then they'd probably go for it. Especially since you have a good resume to boot.

Good luck!!! :love:

As NJ pointed out, many medium or large sized companies with sizable HR concerns may completely disregard your resume if a picture is included. Having worked and done hiring at one for many years, I will second that avoiding possible trouble, even from something as small as that, is paramount in their minds.

If it's a small company, or you happen to reach a more reckless manager at a big company, sure it could make you stand out, but it might also come off as a gimmick. I really wouldn't chance it, unless of course it's the kind of job where a faceshot is requested (entertainment, etc).

Good luck.

• Author
SadandConfusedWA

OK guys, it is a smaller company with no HR department. Resume goes directly to my future boss.

As an update, he called less than 24 hours after getting my resume and wants me to go to an interview. He sounded very keen. Now I wonder that he might ONLY like the picture :confused: To be fair, I do have relevant skills and strong resume.

It's illegal to discriminate in hiring

I realize that. After all, you know what area of law I practice. :) But THIS, isn't really accurate:

...anything that gives the implication that a candidate was hired based on physical appearance could be grounds for a discrimination suit.

If by physical appearance you mean attractiveness, you're flatly wrong. Employers CAN discriminate against ugly people. :)

OK guys, it is a smaller company with no HR department. Resume goes directly to my future boss.

As an update, he called less than 24 hours after getting my resume and wants me to go to an interview. He sounded very keen. Now I wonder that he might ONLY like the picture :confused: To be fair, I do have relevant skills and strong resume.

In a case like yours, when it's a small company, no HR.. then I say go for it.. the boss called you already.. that's because he liked what he saw... good for you...

Good luck!

ps. if you flirt a little bit with him.. chances are YOU'LL GET the job.. ;)

why not.. ;)

I got nothing more to add that haven't been said already.

As an update, he called less than 24 hours after getting my resume and wants me to go to an interview. He sounded very keen.
I wish you the best of luck on the interview!

Normally I wouldn't recommend it unless you were applying for a modeling or sales position, but since you did get a reply, I wish you the best of luck.

I have a head shot I ad, but I only did it when applying to certain jobs.

It's becoming more commonplace.

Sounds like you made the right call on this one!

Good luck with your interview!

in part

If by physical appearance you mean attractiveness, you're flatly wrong. Employers CAN discriminate against ugly people. :)

Yes an employer can discriminate. Thats why we have such wonderful lawyers to protect the employee. The key to the *once you are hired* is to make sure when they fire you they place in writing " we fired you because you are ugly" . You'll make your lawyer rich and yourself too! Most employers will hide the real reason for termination and make up a new policy that somehow you didnt abide by....(nor did they, but thats okay! ) THe land of the free is free to discriminate and does so in droves.

Its rarely the face I'll remember but I will remember the employee who dedicated themselves to their responsiblities and carried a decent attitude.

The outplacement company I used emphatically told me NOT to use my photo in my resume; it wasn't professional, you want a potential employer focusing on your skills instead of your looks, etc.

However, the last three jobs I landed (spanning 10 years) before the outplacement company received my resume with my photo in it. I have no idea if it had anything to do with me being hired. But at least it didn't appear to hurt!

The job I landed after the outplacement company, I didn't use my photo in my resume. But I did put a link in there to my LinkedIn profile, which does have my photo in it.

I think it's human nature, people want to see what you look like, how you present yourself visually, your facial expression.

At any rate, congratulations on the interview!! Go get 'em!!

Honestly, I've never heard of including a photo on a resume. To me, it just does not sound very professional. I'd skip the photo and concentrate on writing an awesome resume to land yourself the job. Good luck.

Mea:)

Hopefully, HR will just toss your picture in the garbage instead of the whole resume.

norajane is absolutely correct. I work at a law firm, and we deal with this stuff all the time.

The trouble is employers are barred from considering race and age in hiring. Employers will often reject minority and older applicants right off the bat. They do this because they fear that if something goes wrong and they have to let the employee go, they may face a discrimination suit. Many employers just opt not to hire minorities or older workers in the first place.

norajane is absolutely correct. I work at a law firm, and we deal with this stuff all the time.

I'm sorry, and I hate to pull rank here, but I do more than just "work at a law firm." I practice employment litigation on the employer/management side. Both of you are simply wrong.

It is no more "illegal to consider a picture" when hiring/not hiring than it is illegal to simply look at a person during an in-person interview.

I mean, seriously. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, and I hate to pull rank here, but I do more than just "work at a law firm." I practice employment litigation on the employer/management side. Both of you are simply wrong.

It is no more "illegal to consider a picture" when hiring/not hiring than it is illegal to simply look at a person during an in-person interview.

I mean, seriously. :rolleyes:

Well, this is where it gets murky.

Technically, you are correct. It is isn't illegal to consider a photo. But what, exactly, does "consider" mean in this context? If employers use photos as part of an effort to weed out certain categories of people on the basis of race or age, then it is illegal. If someone sought to make a prima facie case for discrimination, they would have to show a pattern of exclusion existed. This is difficult to do.

Nonetheless, many employers behave as though all a person has to do is yell, "discrimination!" to win a law suit. This is nonesense, but many employers seem to believe it. As a result, they are often reluctant to hire minorities or older workers, for fear they are going to be sued if they have to fire those workers for any reason.

Edited by ADF
Well, this is where is gets murky.

Technically, you are correct. It is isn't illegal to consider a photo. But what, exactly, is being considered when employers evaluate a photo? If employers use photos as part of an effort to weed out certain categories of people on the basis of race or age, then it is illegal.

With all due respect, "duh!" But how is a picture ANY DIFFERENT than looking at the person face-to-face? It's not. Do you want people to wear blindfolds during the interview and hiring process? That's straight crazy talk.

Nonetheless, many employers behave as though all a person has to do is yell, "discrimination!" to win a law suit. It isn't true, but they seem to believe this. As a result, they are often reluctant to hire minorities or older workers, believfor fear they are going to be sued if they have to fire those workers for any reason.

This is ALSO incorrect. Lawsuits for discrimination in the hiring process are just as dangerous as discrimination in the firing process. And employers who are truly concerned about discrimination lawsuits do NOT intentionally try to not hire members of protected classes - in fact, they do exactly the opposite, if anything.

• Author
SadandConfusedWA

Where I currently work, one of the older proffesors tends to hire pretty younger research assistants. I have definetly noticed the pattern, as have others but it's really impossible to prove. I even jokingly mentioned this to him and he always had a logical justification as to why he hired pretty girl X over plain girl Y or a guy Z. It is either a) perfect skill set and backgrpound for the job or b) job is not that challenging so a less qiualified/educated pretty girl X is less likely to leave over plain girl Y or guy Z :rolleyes:

It seems to me that as long as someone has logical explanation as to why they hired someone and their personal biases remain hidden, everything is OK.

And yes, there really is no difference to seeing someone's picture in the resume and seeing them in the interview.

In a case like yours, when it's a small company, no HR.. then I say go for it.. the boss called you already.. that's because he liked what he saw... good for you...

Good luck!

ps. if you flirt a little bit with him.. chances are YOU'LL GET the job.. ;)

why not.. ;)

I say DON'T flirt with the guy because if you lead him on, he will resent it. I would!

Awesome Username

I wouldn't put a picture in a resume, unless it was for modeling or acting purposes.