I have been pondering what I would do if I got fired.

I don't want to be an actuary. I'm only doing it for the money. At 23, I feel it's too soon to settle, especially when I know exactly what I want to do...

I've been thinking about going back to grad school, for a writing MFA. The cost of these programs is high, and I have not yet gotten over what a ripoff college had been.

However, just being able to focus on my writing for 2 years would be amazing. I would learn a ton. And it's defintily a straight-foward attempt at pursuing my dreams....

Do you think it's a bad investment, when the degree itself would add almost no value to my resume for finding high-paying jobs? Has anyone gotten a Writing MFA before, or know about grad school financial aid?

Any advice is much appreciated...

Spookie - an MFA is a good, flexible degree. You can write, edit, teach, or all three at once.

NB: I may be biased, as that's the route I plan to take. ;-)

An MFA is good if you plan to teach. But I think much depends on the TYPE of writing you want to do; there are great programs for screen writers, poets, and short-story writers and they get more support in the MFA system. Full on novelists do a little better on their own, just writing and sending queries.

What kind of high-paying jobs are you expecting to find as a writer?

I ask because I have an MFA and was a professional food-and-wine writer. However, the MFA was in metalsmithing and the food-and-wine writing came about after I went to culinary school. Since I never bothered to teach with my MFA, it is mostly wasted as now I just make and sell jewelry and my MFA does jack-sh*t for me. My writing career was hardly high-paying and there are few/little professional writers working for magazines or newspapers with MFAs because of the demise of the printed word.

My advice would be to just WRITE. Look for some personal mentorship programs and save your money.

• Author
An MFA is good if you plan to teach. But I think much depends on the TYPE of writing you want to do; there are great programs for screen writers, poets, and short-story writers and they get more support in the MFA system. Full on novelists do a little better on their own, just writing and sending queries.

What kind of high-paying jobs are you expecting to find as a writer?

I ask because I have an MFA and was a professional food-and-wine writer. However, the MFA was in metalsmithing and the food-and-wine writing came about after I went to culinary school. Since I never bothered to teach with my MFA, it is mostly wasted as now I just make and sell jewelry and my MFA does jack-sh*t for me. My writing career was hardly high-paying and there are few/little professional writers working for magazines or newspapers with MFAs because of the demise of the printed word.

My advice would be to just WRITE. Look for some personal mentorship programs and save your money.

I'm having trouble finding the time to do so with the career I have to nourish.