Searching for work...Tryin to stay positive.

Lost my business several months ago due to the economy, and now strugglin so much to get a job. I know everyone is, its such a bad time out there. What are you doing to stay positive as your looking for a new job? What are you doing when your out of work, looking for new employment and going back to school isn't an option?

Lost my business several months ago due to the economy, and now strugglin so much to get a job. I know everyone is, its such a bad time out there. What are you doing to stay positive as your looking for a new job? What are you doing when your out of work, looking for new employment and going back to school isn't an option?

I would highly suggest a good daily morning workout routine. If you don't belong to a gym, then take a 45 minute walk each morning, and then come home and do some situps and pushups for 15 minutes. You would be amazed at how this will lighten your mind, and make you also feel better about yourself, as well as your job hunting. I've used this off and on through hard times in my life (some people also use meditation and yoga) to help me refocus my mind. It really does help to burn off that negative and frustrating energy that builds up :) Good luck! It takes a bit of motivation to get started, but stick with it. It really does help your mind.

• Author

Thank you for the suggestions. I already workout, but seems like too much is on my mind for the workout to really work. Im gonna have to either switch up routine or take some meditation classes or something.

I lost my job last July and since then i have been rekindling relationships with out of touch relatives and old friends. Its really important to have those caring relationships when you are feeling down or feel like giving up. Who knows maybe you will stumble into new friendships that will lead to your next job!

I lost my job in September, however I got let go, not laid off. I have been on like 10 some interviews and nobody will hire me. I am so depressed and upset I don't even know what to do.

My plan was to just get a part time minimum wage job in the meantime until I find something. Unfortunately I picked a crappy place to work. It does cure the boredom but I still feel horrible. I had 2 interviews this week, they told me they were going to check my references and get back to me. They never did. :mad:

All I can really offer is support, as I am miserable and frustrated as well. I could suggest getting a minimum wage job (everyone is hiring for the holidays) to cure the boredom. It doesn't take the frustration away though unfortunately.

Ladybondie: how about volunteering at a charity? You get to meet lots of different people, plus it makes a good impression on your resume and during interviews.

I am extremely lucky to find work in my field (i only started this week), but i still continue do charity work on Saturdays because i love the people, and it keeps me focused on the positive.

Lauriebell: I did minimum wage retail part-time when i was looking for work too. i know how you feel. All i can say, is hang in there LB, i've still got my fingers crossed for you.

Lauriebell: I did minimum wage retail part-time when i was looking for work too. i know how you feel. All i can say, is hang in there LB, i've still got my fingers crossed for you.

Yeah, it's horrible. They don't give us any breaks unless we work a 6 hour shift so I have to stand there hungry. They will let you go to the bathroom, that's it. I liked being a cashier at Giant Eagle better.

Anyway didn't mean to threadjack.

I like the suggestion about volunteer work. I filled out a form for that but nobody ever called me. :(