Job Scams on Craigslist ?

Has anyone here known anyone that responded to a help wanted ad on Craigslist and it was shady ?

If you go on the jobs site there are numerous warnings now by CL warning of job scams...

• Author
and what do the scams appear to be? what do they list?

SCAM ALERT - affiliate scammers are posting bogus ads promising (nonexistent!) employment, paid research trials, or other compensation, but then notifying repliers that they'll need to jump through a hoop first, directing them to:

background checking services

credit checking or reporting sites

sites where you are instructed to enter your resume or other personal information

sites where you are asked to sign up for a "free" trial offer

sites offering training or education

sites offering a "system" for making money

survey or focus group sites

sites designed to deliver malware or misuse your identifying information

all in hopes of earning affiliate marketing commissions or otherwise profiting at the expense of persons seeking employment.

Lots of variations on this scam, but each generally involves dangling (nonexistent!) compensation, and then directing you to a website where you are asked to sign up for something, use your credit card, or input personal information such as your email address.

Continue to food / bev / hosp job postings

FUN FACT: If you are able to determine a scammer's "affiliate ID" and report it to their affiliate marketing program, this will often result in termination of the scammer, and confiscation of the scammer's ill-gotten gains by the affiliate program.

• Author
craigslist is a haven for scam artists

Its so true Alpha. They scam the people trying to rent out a room or an apartment. People selling cars and people posting Lovr/ Personal Ads.

I have seen work at home jobs that are just databases for a job list that they pull down from the net and then get you to pay for the list of jobs that mostly aren't available anymore.

I do occasionally advertise for jobs [work at home] for my business through CL and get lots of resumes [probably 300-500 per opening]. However, probably 70% of the people that respond are too hesitant to actually give you the information needed to hire them; I just look somewhere else right away if there is any hesitancy but I can understand it.

• Author

Its really quite sad : Many unemployed in this economy and these scammers are just waiting to pounce .

Many needing new places to live getting sucked into this mess..

And finally the sad and lonely being taken by Nigerian scammers for thousands of dollars...

• 2 weeks later...

Yup its true CL is a nasty mess of scams. I have stumbled onto websites teaching people how to efficiently scam people using their techniques its sick! :mad: But if you are aware of the dangers and take precautions you will be safe looking for a used washer. You just have to know what scam patterns to look for.