Finding a job out of state...

Would it be dumb to move first and hope to find a job once I get there? Any suggestions on how job hunt before I go? I'd feel much better if I had one prior to going.

Personally, in this economy especially, yes, I think it's not the smartest action to move first and hope you get a job. Unless you have family in that state that you can live with for a short period of time who wouldn't mind if you couldn't afford to contribute financially and as long as you have enough savings, no or few bills, etc.

Because of the internet it's very easy to job hunt outside your state, especially if you don't expect any relocation expenses to be paid. I think in a better economy it's a different story, but right now employers can have pretty much whomever they want, so they won't pay your expenses.

I've done this twice now (getting an out of state job) and what I did was do a LOT of research from my home, got all my ducks in a row, applied (fax your info if possible, instead of email or online forms), followed up, etc. Pretty much what you normally do.

I also spent about a week in the state I was trying to move to....set up interviews in blocks like that, so that you don't spend all kinds of money traveling (because again, a couple years ago most companies would reimburse you for travel expenses to interview with them, but not anymore).

• Author

Well, at least I know it's not impossible. I just feel like I've gotten nowhere and have applied practically everywhere. I just wondered if it was because of having an address out of state but you're the second person I know of where this hasn't been a problem. I'm not asking them to pay relocation expenses.

It's very competitive right now. I honestly don't know if it might be hurting you to be using an out-of-state address or not. If the posting specifies a residency requirement or says something about giving preference to local applicants they'll probably by-pass yours.

I think in my case something that really helped was faxing my materials (I'm convinced that HR people set up their email accounts so that emailed/online applications go directly to their trash folder and are never seen). It also shows you're a little more interested than probably 90% of other applicants, because it's so much easier to do it online than it is to actually print it out and fax it.

Also, CALL them to follow up - that will also show you're seriously interested in relocating, rather than just applying everywhere and anywhere hoping someone bites.

• Author

Good idea about the faxing. I usually only do that when asked to fax in a resume. Otherwise, I just upload it online. I'll try that and see if I get any better results.

I applied for a job online yesterday and after your advice, I decided to fax them my resume as well. I may call in a few days but I don't want to harass them or anything :laugh:

I know many employers won't even go to the trouble of interviewing someone who's not local when there are so many viable local candidates.

I was also very suspicious of someone who I interviewed who moved from Chicago to California without a job or any real reason for the move.

I concur with Star_Gazer, there is definitely a bias against out of state candidates. I've had a couple of phone screens for out of state jobs(for one job I've had 3 phone screens) but no dice. I don't even think relocation is mostly the issue. The company doesn't want to pay for plane, hotel, for 4 or 5 people for every position that comes up. That can come up to $500 bucks a person and it can get real expensive real fast.

I'd imagine if they were willing to take an out of state person they would interview 9 local people and one out of stater or something like that.

As to moving before you have a job, that would be pretty risky. Unless you live somewhere like Detroit I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even consider that in my situation as I have student loans, but if I didn't have any I would have to have enough money to survive for 1 year with no job.

• Author
I realized that when I made my post. But my point still stands.

I know. Just hoping it would help if I mention that in the cover letter.