Taking what you can get

What do you think about taking what you can get in this economy, in regards to jobs?

A few weeks ago I was hired by a company in a field that is completely unrelated to my education, my experience/background, and my specific career and life goals (although it does fulfill my general goals, both short term and long term).

My mom was very excited (it pays more and has some awesome benefits).

My dad, while he didn't come right out and say so, seems to disapprove. I think he thinks I should keep doing what I was doing in hopes of the economy turning around so I would possibly have a chance of getting a different job in my field. I feel like he thinks I made a mistake.

Thoughts on this?

I took a job at a clothing store!

I know what you mean though, I'm frustrated that I can't get a job in my field.

Wait and see if you like this job! It may be better and you may enjoy doing it more then a job that would be in your field! :)

• Author

I think I just have an issue with the possibility of disappointing my dad. It's very important to me that he feel proud of me.

Even if I only do this for a year, and then decide to make a change, I'm in a much more secure, stable and less stressful place than I was a few months ago, which was why I really wanted this job (plus get to work from home :D).

I've already begun to re-evaluate my goals and plans, and I don't think it would be terrible to make more money now, which would allow me to pay my student loans off faster/save more money, and then when I want to start a family (in a couple years) do a career change to my field, which is very family-friendly.

I think I just have an issue with the possibility of disappointing my dad. It's very important to me that he feel proud of me.

Even if I only do this for a year, and then decide to make a change, I'm in a much more secure, stable and less stressful place than I was a few months ago, which was why I really wanted this job (plus get to work from home :D).

I've already begun to re-evaluate my goals and plans, and I don't think it would be terrible to make more money now, which would allow me to pay my student loans off faster/save more money, and then when I want to start a family (in a couple years) do a career change to my field, which is very family-friendly.

I understand wanting to please your parents!!! My wedding has been nothing but having/wanting to please them!

But it's your career, you have to do it, not your dad. Do you know WHY he has come to this conclusion about you continuing to find a job in your field? Talk to him about it if you are curious. You said he hasn't come right out and said anything about it, so why don't you ask him how he feels?

If you feel that your father disapproves, why not talk to him about it? It's possible you're misinterpreting his actions so why not clear the air of this possibility? If you're not misinterpreting his actions, at least you can get an idea of why he feels the way he does.

We all like to please our loved ones, especially our parents. The only problem is that our parents cannot live through our lives. YOU have to set your boundaries and they have to accept them. Once you've done this and they realize you're an adult, you might be surprised at how well you understand each other.

As an example, last year I dated an actor. My parents did NOT approve. I had a knock down, drag out argument with them, where they finally backed off, agreed to respect my choice but refused to meet him. In this, we both compromised, that while it was my choice of life, they didn't have to accept him.

I can completely relate to you OP. Tomorrow I'm going back to a job that I had while in undergrad that I absolutely hate. It's completely unrelated to my grad. degree and my long term career goals. However I'm taking what I can get because it sucks so much right now trying to find a job. I'm grateful because the pay is OK and they're allowing me to come back even though they have a hiring freeze on the position that I'm returning to.

Good luck and keep looking.